Sheffield Wednesday REJECT bid for Jordan Rhodes

4 hours ago, akbuk said:

Reminds me of days past when we did things to keep our fans happy

Like panic buy a £10 mil out of form striker when we're already saturated at the position and had picked up Winnall?

Doing things to keep the fans happy is a dead end, because a huge percentage of them, particularly the most vocal ones, tend to be morons.

50 minutes ago, poite said:

If we sell Rhodes that's it for me. I'm done with Carlos. Despite some things that I've said which could imply I want Carlos out I've always been on fence as I have huge respect for what he has achieved. But selling Jordan Rhodes because he doesn't fit into the most boring, negative, bullshit system I've seen is just a stamp on the bolicks too far for me. 

I agree. I wouldn't sell him in this window anyway, simply because we don't know how Carlos will set up now we have these new defenders. The negative, boring football stems from a belief that our defence isn't good enough, so Carlos covers up. In fairness, it isn't/wasn't up to scratch, and Carlos was himself a defender. The only defender which we possessed who was of a similar calibre to our forwards was Lees.

The irony is that to get the best out of our forwards we need to be better at the back. If these new lads give Carlos more confidence, then maybe he'll let the dog out.

4 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

I agree. I wouldn't sell him in this window anyway, simply because we don't know how Carlos will set up now we have these new defenders. The negative, boring football stems from a belief that our defence isn't good enough, so Carlos covers up. In fairness, it isn't/wasn't up to scratch, and Carlos was himself a defender. The only defender which we possessed who was of a similar calibre to our forwards was Lees.

The irony is that to get the best out of our forwards we need to be better at the back. If these new lads give Carlos more confidence, then maybe he'll let the dog out.

Good point - was thinking this myself....just need to sort out the full backs now.

2 hours ago, Indoor Owl said:

Like panic buy a £10 mil out of form striker when we're already saturated at the position and had picked up Winnall?

Doing things to keep the fans happy is a dead end, because a huge percentage of them, particularly the most vocal ones, tend to be morons.

I was thinking of darker days than that

2 hours ago, Indoor Owl said:

Are you including yourself in that sweeping indictment?

12 minutes ago, Dagmeister said:

Are you including yourself in that sweeping indictment?

Pretty much as soon as I posted it, I realized this retort was incoming.

I'm referring to more of the fanbase that we see posting here that are insisting that we still need to "get a quality striker in" despite our ability to very nearly field an entire starting XI of just strikers (and pretty capable ones, to boot), the "GETIT FO'WARD!" brigade lunacy, or suggesting we sell Bannan, Hooper, Rhodes, FF, and the whole lot to make space for our U23 players in the starting lineup because "we're not young enough, no youth and pace in this team".

I don't claim to always be correct, but I think we can agree there's a pretty well defined line between something which we may not necessarily agree with and outright stupidity.  Hell, there seemed to be some that evidently believed in a very strong correlation between our promotion chances and the quality of sausage rolls available at half time.

Edited by Indoor Owl

3 minutes ago, Indoor Owl said:

Pretty much as soon as I posted it, I realized this retort was incoming.

I'm referring to more of the fanbase that we see posting here that are insisting that we still need to "get a quality striker in" despite our ability to very nearly field an entire starting XI of just strikers (and pretty capable ones, to boot), the "GETIT FO'WARD!" brigade lunacy, or suggesting we sell Bannan, Hooper, Rhodes, FF, and the whole lot to make space for our U23 players in the starting lineup because "we're not young enough, no youth and pace in this team".

I don't claim to always be correct, but I think we can agree there's a pretty well defined line between something which we may not necessarily agree with and outright stupidity.  Hell, there seemed to be some that evidently believed in a very strong correlation between our promotion chances and the quality of sausage rolls available at half time.

Unless we suddenly came into possession of a team of better all-rounders like the Magpies had last season, we were never going to play last season or this as we did when Carlos first came. That season promotion wasn't the priority, since then it has been.

It's very difficult for a non-parachute club to play open, attacking, entertaining football AND get promoted. You cut your coat, or you cut your own throat.

2 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

I will be amazed if he strays from a back 4

1 minute ago, billyblack said:

I will be amazed if he strays from a back 4

Well he's got these defenders in now. I'm hoping that he plays three at the back. If he persists with the current arrangements, especially at home, things don't look good for him long term.

3 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Well he's got these defenders in now. I'm hoping that he plays three at the back. If he persists with the current arrangements, especially at home, things don't look good for him long term.

3-5-2 is an option as we get 3 in the middle of the park which is imperative.  One thing for sure, we need to ditch our 4-4-2 approach with slow wingers.  I would prefer 4-3-3 with proper wide attackers with FF on the left and maybe recruit someone on the right with pace.  Hooper or Fletcher through the middle.  Again, highly unlikely, given we have a shedload of strikers at the club.

21 minutes ago, Athelwulf said:

Unless we suddenly came into possession of a team of better all-rounders like the Magpies had last season, we were never going to play last season or this as we did when Carlos first came. That season promotion wasn't the priority, since then it has been.

It's very difficult for a non-parachute club to play open, attacking, entertaining football AND get promoted. You cut your coat, or you cut your own throat.

Precisely.

It may not be the most entertaining, continential styled, free-flowing football; but it does win games and it should lead to promotion.  I think you hit the nail on the head in your previous post - I think we've been lacking in the type of defenders that we need to link the defense with the attack.  

Van Aken looks fantastic, looks he can move the ball forward with accuracy and quickness, and that will lead to the goals.  With Loovens and Hutchinson building at the back I just feel like we're so slow to break out from the back that it becomes more like a training ground exercise than a counter-attack; we give them so much time to find their defensive shape before we even begin to threaten. 

Here's hoping that's about to change and we can maintain our defensive record but just add the few extra goals required.

One of the reasons I'm desperate to see us promoted with Carlos is that I think he will be the perfect manager for us in the early PL years, and to keep us from getting bounced first year - a team with a sound defense can hold on against the bigger clubs and nick goals when the opportunity presents (much like how Leicester triumphed).  As the revenue builds with £170 mil a year coming in, then you can move on to more attacking football.

Edited by Indoor Owl

31 minutes ago, sherlyegg said:

Yep, pointless trying to GETIT FO'WARD! quickly and score. Much better going slowly forward, sideways 10 times first and then GETIT FO'WARD!...so it keeps the football experts happy lol

The most confusing part is for all the shouts of GETIT FO'WARD, they always seem so surprised and irate when possession is lost by doing so, and when the other team patiently holds the ball after getting it, they are the first to be whining at halftime about how poo the team is playing and how lopsided the possession stats are?

It's one of those self fulfilling prophecies of self-induced disappointment, like not liking your girlfriend's heavyset mother and being surprised and disappointed that your girlfriend morphs into her ten years after you married her.

Edited by Indoor Owl

1 hour ago, sherlyegg said:

Yep, pointless trying to GETIT FO'WARD! quickly and score. Much better going slowly forward, sideways 10 times first and then GETIT FO'WARD!...so it keeps the football experts happy lol

The crab tactic . Carlos says its the way forward.