We're all going on a European tour...

Speaking of getting knocked out. Does anyone remember Paul Warhurst getting knocked out as he scored a goal against Spora Luxembourg. The goalie went to punch the ball and punched his head. He swallowed his tongue and Alan Smith saved his life. I went home in tears. I genuinely thought he was dead.

Just now, Owl 44 said:

Speaking of getting knocked out. Does anyone remember Paul Warhurst getting knocked out as he scored a goal against Spora Luxembourg. The goalie went to punch the ball and punched his head. He swallowed his tongue and Alan Smith saved his life. I went home in tears. I genuinely thought he was dead.

Sure do. Think Hirsty went 'round to comfort Mrs Warhurst afterwards.:stuwinky:

EveryWednesday - Respect to you for persevering, owls fans in their mid to late 20s have had very little to remember except that clown Di Canio pushing a fat ref over, relegation from the prem, 2 relagtions from championship, plenty of inept managers, no pots to p1ss in, some bloke called Lee who knew a bit about broadband trying to run the club, 1 successful play off campaign out of 3 and the highlight of pipping the blunts to promotion 5 or 6 years ago. 

If I were a betting man I'd suggest your dad supports Wednesday and you've never bought your own ticket once

5 minutes ago, OutspokenTom said:

EveryWednesday - Respect to you for persevering, owls fans in their mid to late 20s have had very little to remember except that clown Di Canio pushing a fat ref over, relegation from the prem, 2 relagtions from championship, plenty of inept managers, no pots to p1ss in, some bloke called Lee who knew a bit about broadband trying to run the club, 1 successful play off campaign out of 3 and the highlight of pipping the blunts to promotion 5 or 6 years ago. 

If I were a betting man I'd suggest your dad supports Wednesday and you've never bought your own ticket once

thats me lol 

25 minutes ago, OutspokenTom said:

Damn right, Chris Turner was the manager when I got my first season ticket FFS! My Dad always says he's gutted for me that I wasn't old enough to appreciate players like Waddle and Hirst. I kept saying the good times will come back, I think we're nearly there!

3 hours ago, EveryWednesday said:

Just watching Everton in Europa League and got me wondering about Wednesday's European adventures. Trouble is I'm 28. This means I was 6 years old when we were in Uefa Cup last. So I have a few questions for you older ladies and gents

What round did we get to in the Uefa Cup and I vaguely remember playing B. monchengladbach as my cousin went, did they knock us out?

Who else did we play?

Did we contest the Intertoto Cup?

Did we play some games away from Hillsborough in Intertoto?

And whatever happened to said contest?

Why didn't we qualify for cup winners cup in 1991?

Lots of questions, let's hope Owlstalk is up to it!

We played Spora Luxembourg in the 1st round winning 8-1 at home with Wadhurst scoring and getting knocked out and swallowing his tongue, then winning 2-1 away after going 1 down with Warhurst scoring on his return from the injury, in front of about 3k nearly all Wednesday fans.

2nd Round 1st leg was Kaiserslautern away, scoring early,  then controversially losing David Hirst when it looked to most of us there that it was either a penalty or a freekick on the edge of the area to us. The ten men then concended 3, before rallying late on having 2 good chances missed 1 by Gordon Watson (probably his best game in an Owls shirt) and the other by Palmer? Hazy memory. Again about 3k Owls travelled.

The 2nd leg was drawn 2-2 after leading twice and also having a goal disallowed whilst winning 1-0, but is best remembered for the incredible atmosphere and non stop torrent of abuse everytime Kaiserslautern had the ball. We didn't play Borussia Monchengladbach.

As a single, 22 year old still living with my parents (so plenty of spare cash) I went to all these games and 57 in all that season 

We later contested the Intertoto cup, now this is testing my memory.

I believe we were in a group of 5 clubs, we played two matches at Millmoor I can only recall the 2nd game as I went, (my 1st visit to Millmoor) it was against Arrhus and we won 3-1? 

But due to results elsewhere we finished 2nd in the group and went out behind Karlsrue? Another German club. I don't recall the other teams in our group.

Not certain what happened to the Intertoto Cup but believe it was a forerunner to the qualifying rounds of the Europa cup. (That could be complete ballhooks though!)

As stated earlier stated we didn't qualify for 91/92 Cup winners cup because that was for the winners of the FA Cup (Spurs)

Hope that answers some of your questions.

Ps keep the faith, although European football currently seems a million miles away, I never dreamt as a kid I would see my team in Europe, I thought it was just something my  Dad spoke about from the 60s. When we get back to Premier League (it will happen) we can seriously start dreaming about it again UTO!