Visibility of Stripes

I'd actually say stripes or not is not an issue.

It's the same for both sides, if you are move visible to your team mates, you are more visible to the opposites too.      

I understand the theory, but I don't buy into it.      Sorry to the lass who brought this theory to owlstalk, who may or may not do a turn, we have not yet established that fact.

Just now, prowl said:

Why.

How can you reduce the love and devotion a fan gives their club to a commercial transaction.  It's a lazy conflation at best.  If I was being harsh, I'd say it's intellectually bankrupt.

11 minutes ago, Sham67 said:

How can you reduce the love and devotion a fan gives their club to a commercial transaction.  It's a lazy conflation at best.  If I was being harsh, I'd say it's intellectually bankrupt.

If I weren't a fan, I wouldn't give SWFC a penny.

Conversely,  SUFC actually get the odd transaction from me because some friends/family are blades but equally did I not like football, that would not happen either.

Football clubs only survive because of loyalty and passion.   The club could not exist without the fan, not the other way around.

31 minutes ago, Birley Owl 1867 said:

I don't know but juventus and Barca seem to win their respective leagues every year.

I'd hardly call Barcelona's kit contrasting stripes and Juve? Well, standout team in that league with a questionable history. 

As a counter, if a team wears stripes and their fans all do too, is that not compounding the issue?

To cut to the chase it matters not....

35 minutes ago, prowl said:

Interesting perspective, In an emotional sense you might have a point but from a financial point it doesn't make sense. If you shop at Tesco do you consider yourself as an investor or a customer? What about your local pub, are you an investor or a customer?

We'll both.

One can't survive without the other.

3 hours ago, Oliver Cromwell said:

Been talking to a retired head of an optometry department at a large hospital, who told me stripes are the most visible pattern in people's peripheral vision.

Perhaps someone should tell Mr Chansiri if we're looking to get any slight advantage over other teams.

Could it help influence him? I doubt it.

I bet that's true in general terms, but I've also heard that stripes are inherently less visible than solid blocks of colour at pitch level, against the backdrop of a crowd all wearing different things. Could you ask her for a second opinion? lol

1 hour ago, prowl said:

I like us in stripes but I'm glad we got DC as owner rather than some of the other idiots around.  I'm glad he bought us so I'll accept the loss of stripes for now. We can always go back to the stripes when DC moves on. Maybe DC will pass the club on to his son in the future and we can persuade him that stripes are lucky.

Stop talking sense ....... it'll confuse the fxck out of many on here !

Edited by casbahowl

1 hour ago, Sham67 said:

Some people are ardent fans of apple products, they love their Iphone and ipad, so much so that they are never separated. They'd rather play with their phone than talk to their partner or friends. Brand loyalty.

Football fans love their club, I'm one of them but at the end of the day the club sees the fans as customers. Why is someone buying a Wednesday shirt in the club shop any different to someone buying a shirt in a store. The transaction is the same. If the club considered the fans as anything other than customers/consumers why do they gouge them on prices at any opportunity.

If we want any little advantage that can be gained from the kit surely we should be playing in red. There's plenty of evidence suggesting red has a better psychological effect in team sports.

To support this theory, just look at the two club cities with one red, one blue team.

Liverpool/Everton: most successful red.

Manchester: most successful red.

Bristol: most successful red.

Birmingham: most successful club claret (& a bit of blue)

And the exception that proves the rule...

Sheffield.

If we switch back to stripes because of tradition, "it's our identity", is one thing, but to accept stripes so as to gain a slight advantage is the thin edge of the wedge that ends with us playing in red and white stripes. 

I prefer plain blue over red and white stripes.

On 6/24/2017 at 11:59, Birley Owl 1867 said:

I don't know but juventus and Barca seem to win their respective leagues every year.

Didn't bayern win in stripes too several times . Barca , bayern , Dortmund keep their colours but completely change the design of their shirts yearly and their fans don't go mad at it not being a proper kit for their club . Bayern even wacked a blue stripe in it the other year . 

On 6/24/2017 at 12:47, Costello 77 said:

We'll both.

One can't survive without the other.

Problem is in the prem teams can survive without their fans easily , Bournemouth fans put hardly any cash into the club compared to sky and the owner and it's the same with Swansea and the like . Teams before the prem couldn't exist without fans and nearly all still can't , but now it's so absurd that half a dozen prem teams it wouldn't matter if their fans didn't bother at all as they are just a toy for the mega rich . 

On ‎24‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 10:47, Spencerowl said:

Here's what I don't get, everyone says the owner hates stripes.

why did he buy us then? I'm sure he could have gone for a club without them

if your looking for a house and you see one you like you wouldn't not buy it because the wallpapers not to your taste.....

On 6/24/2017 at 16:20, Oliver Cromwell said:

Been talking to a retired head of an optometry department at a large hospital, who told me stripes are the most visible pattern in people's peripheral vision.

Perhaps someone should tell Mr Chansiri if we're looking to get any slight advantage over other teams.

Could it help influence him? I doubt it.

The problem with stripes then is that the opposition will easily see our players when we're trying to tackle them.

If we invested in a camouflage kit, a bit like that Everton goalie top a few years ago, no-one would see us coming. 

3 hours ago, torryowl said:

if your looking for a house and you see one you like you wouldn't not buy it because the wallpapers not to your taste.....

Not really the same tho is it?

Edited by Spencerowl

3 hours ago, Spencerowl said:

Not really the same tho is it?

exactly the same   , he wasn't not going to buy a club that could make him many millions of pounds just because he didn't like the kit ....i'm sure scrapping stripes concerns him  not one jot ,once he got his hands on the club he could do whatever he liked just as anyone buying a house can .