Top 10 managers in the EFL

When Wilder gets the scrubbers into the play offs this season then I will accept him as a better manager than CC.

Didnt we finish above all those managers bar Stam last season?

Edited by BIG D

11 hours ago, offalyowl said:

Let's be fair about it, he has wasted 30 million and Stuart gray had nothing to work with and done a far better job 

Has he? I was under the impression that the money the club have spent in the last two seasons had transformed us from being a mid-table side into one capable of regular top-six finishes.

We've spent decent money, but we're far from alone in that, and we were starting from a position in which at least half the Championship had a huge head-start in terms of investment in their squads over the past half-decade or so. To expect us to instantly rise to the top of the pile when up against teams who have been building for several years, or those with recent Premier League experience, money and squads, is a bit unrealistic in my opinion. I'd imagine the investment in a club like Fulham over the past decade dwarfs ours. The infrastructure, academy, technical team, scouting network etc... was funded by Premier League money and parachute payments. They may not have spent as heavily in the past two seasons, but we've been playing catch-up in a major way after the best part of two decades being left to wither on the vine.

Too many fans want success yesterday and don't seem to be able to handle the idea that spending decent money on our team for the first time in a decade and a half isn't guaranteed to lead to instant success, especially when you factor in that several Championship clubs have outspent us in recent years, and we were playing catch up on half the division in terms of our starting point. If you'd have offered me consecutive playoff spots when Carlos first took over, I'd have snatched your hand off, as would many other Wednesday fans, too.

13 hours ago, offalyowl said:

I have to agree that Carlos doesn't deserve to be on that list, people can neg me but I don't care, he should have been gone after udders beat us in the semi final 

I will share some flack with you.

Yes he should have gone after the dire negative approach to the semis.

But he should have gone after Barnsley. We had fallen apart and we're dropping like a stone. He got very lucky. Injuries meant the team picked itself with everyone in their best positions, and we couldn't stop winning.

Carlos got his players back and found a way to stop us winning. Ultra defensive football with several players squeezed into the team making us lop-sided.

17 hours ago, I Love Sturrock said:

He started with a team who'd just finished mid-table and already included current mainstays like Lees, Lee, Loovens, Hutchinson and Westwood.

With the money given to him allied with the backing of a sensible Chairman, Carlos has had it easier than any manager in the Championship. I wouldn't even put him in the top 20 EFL managers.

:ghoulguy:

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

I will share some flack with you.

Yes he should have gone after the dire negative approach to the semis.

But he should have gone after Barnsley. We had fallen apart and we're dropping like a stone. He got very lucky. Injuries meant the team picked itself with everyone in their best positions, and we couldn't stop winning.

Carlos got his players back and found a way to stop us winning. Ultra defensive football with several players squeezed into the team making us lop-sided.

This must be up there with one of your worst posts ever.

We had bad injuries all season but that doesn't seem to matter 

We would have beat Barnsley, who had a decent home record, but our centre half decided not to head a ball in the 93rd minute but the manager should got sacked

Carlos was saying for a month that we needed our link players back. We get them back , he picks them but that's lucky

Your hero Hooper then gets injured again, must be Carlos's fault he is not available for the Huddersfield games

He plays your preferred midfield pair in the away game, they don't perform and it  is Carlos's fault.

The same players didn't perform at home.

You need to start looking at the performance of certain players on the pitch more objectively .

9 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

We would have beat Barnsley, who had a decent home record, but our centre half decided not to head a ball in the 93rd minute but the manager should got sacked

Carlos was saying for a month that we needed our link players back. We get them back , he picks them but that's lucky

Your hero Hooper then gets injured again, must be Carlos's fault he is not available for the Huddersfield games

He plays your preferred midfield pair in the away game, they don't perform and it  is Carlos's fault.

You need to start looking at the performance of certain players on the pitch more objectively .

Then when we're crying out for a goal he brings on Dave when we had Winnall on the bench.

3 minutes ago, Blue and white said:

Then when we're crying out for a goal he brings on Dave when we had Winnall on the bench.

I too would have brought Winnall on but nobody was moaning when he brought Dave on against Cardiff and made a big, positive impact.

2 hours ago, oldishowl said:

I don't want to discuss Carlos too long. But happy to come back once.

He had selection dilemmas all season, except those six matches. Only two CMs were available. Bannan and Jones for the first four, then Bannan and Lee for the last two.

No FF meant that he had to play two strikers, so only had to decide/rotate between Hooper, Fletch and Rhodes for the two shirts.

As soon as he got the selection dilemmas back he got it very badly wrong.

As for my preferred midfield, you are saying that a nil-nil draw away to the promoted side is a way to judge Lee and Bannan negatively? Tactics that day were awful.

But that's it from me on Carlos. I wanted him out after Barnsley. I predicted he would chicken out, and sadly he did. But he is here to stay, so lets hope that all of those who wanted him to stay but with changes to his approach, get their wish. 

9 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

I don't want to discuss Carlos too long. But happy to come back once.

He had selection dilemmas all season, except those six matches. Only two CMs were available. Bannan and Jones for the first four, then Bannan and Lee for the last two.

No FF meant that he had to play two strikers, so only had to decide/rotate between Hooper, Fletch and Rhodes for the two shirts.

As soon as he got the selection dilemmas back he got it very badly wrong.

As for my preferred midfield, you are saying that a nil-nil draw away to the promoted side is a way to judge Lee and Bannan negatively? Tactics that day were awful.

But that's it from me on Carlos. I wanted him out after Barnsley. I predicted he would chicken out, and sadly he did. But he is here to stay, so lets hope that all of those who wanted him to stay but with changes to his approach, get their wish. 

It is not quite as simple as " when certain players play well they are brilliant but when they play badly it is the managers fault "

22 hours ago, offalyowl said:

Let's be fair about it, he has wasted 30 million and Stuart gray had nothing to work with and done a far better job 

Lets analyse your assertion

Forestieri £3m not wasted so presumably you'll amend your post to £27m

Hooper £3.5m not wasted so .............................."....................................£23.5m

Reach £5m i don't think wasted ..........................."...................................£18.5m

Jack Hunt £1m ......................................................"...................................£17.5m

D. Pudil £1.7m ........................................................"...................................£15.8m

Abdi £4m juries still out so not wasted yet ......................".......................£11.8m 

Rhodes £10m he's been here 10 minutes .....................".......................£1.8m 

Personally i don't think any of the above are "wasted" maybe you disagree

On top of that we have got in Fletch who finished the season strongly and Fox who IMO is adequate cover for Pudil 

I honestly don't know why we have fans that seem to delight in slagging our Manager 

Edited by Lawrie Madden

49 minutes ago, Lawrie Madden said:

Lets analyse your assertion

Forestieri £3m not wasted so presumably you'll amend your post to £27m

Hooper £3.5m not wasted so .............................."....................................£23.5m

Reach £5m i don't think wasted ..........................."...................................£18.5m

Jack Hunt £1m ......................................................"...................................£17.5m

D. Pudil £1.7m ........................................................"...................................£15.8m

Abdi £4m juries still out so not wasted yet ......................".......................£11.8m 

Rhodes £10m he's been here 10 minutes .....................".......................£1.8m 

Personally i don't think any of the above are "wasted" maybe you disagree

On top of that we have got in Fletch who finished the season strongly and Fox who IMO is adequate cover for Pudil 

I honestly don't know why we have fans that seem to delight in slagging our Manager 

What about winnall, Joao, matais, melo, another left back we signed from charlton, can't think of his name at the moment, also every player we signed for free wasn't cheap on wages and then we had to renew contracts for ff and bannan and that wasn't cheap either