DANIEL AYALA

I think we will go three at back next season. With a couple of good CB additions and a midfield beast we will have the players to play this formation.

Reach as a wing back on left but we need a new right wing back. Hunt could be back up.

Hutch would be brilliant playing the right side of three at back.

30 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Well I meant if Hanley signed first then we'd have Hanley, Lees, Loovens and even Hutch to play centre back so if I was Ayala I would want assurances that I would be first choice or I would go somewhere where I would be.

The way we should play it is to tell Hanley and Ayala, you will be competing for places with each other and Tom Lees for the two CB slots. If you don't think you are good enough to play more often than not, we don't want you.

40 minutes ago, prowl said:

Fighting for his place which is exactly as it should be.

Lees was well below par at the beginning of last season, if we had quality competition for him he would have probably been dropped. All players have bad patches, if we want automatic promotion we can't really afford to play someone who is out of form for an extended period. Amazing how losing a starting place can motivate a player. 

That's not a dig at Lees, he's been great overall. It's just that we are a bit thin in central defence. Sasso has left the building so bringing in one centre back only takes us back to where we were last year. 2 would be better.

exactly this mate look what it did to Wallace...arguably one of best players in second half of the season 

1 hour ago, gurujuan said:

Sure, Id be more than happy for Hutchinson to challenge for the right sided role, and then bring in someone better to play midfield anchor man

I'd go for that Hutch to defence and someone like huddleston in midfield.

1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

Hanley is the one - even though Ayala may be the better defender. Boro's back-four were excellently drilled by Karanka, but they already look set to lose Gibson. I doubt they'd part with Ayala as well, especially to a rival. 

This and with Monk looking likely to get the job it also remains to be seen whether he would want to keep Ayala.

3 minutes ago, Beauchief Owl said:

This and with Monk looking likely to get the job it also remains to be seen whether he would want to keep Ayala.

Monk will not have a say in who they bring in or let go, their chairman does all of it . Thats main reason karanka has left them twice now

2 hours ago, wilyfox said:

Hanley is the one - even though Ayala may be the better defender. Boro's back-four were excellently drilled by Karanka, but they already look set to lose Gibson. I doubt they'd part with Ayala as well, especially to a rival. 

Yes, for me too. It would give us the best options. We know that Lees and Loovens are a good partnership, right/left, but possibly against some attacks, maybe a bit vulnerable in the air. Hanley would remedy that, and also could form a great pairing left/right again, with Hutchinson, who could be the ball playing option alongside the big man. Would be happy for either of those pairings to start, depending on the opposition

1 hour ago, Paul Triplo said:

I think we will go three at back next season. With a couple of good CB additions and a midfield beast we will have the players to play this formation.

Reach as a wing back on left but we need a new right wing back. Hunt could be back up.

Hutch would be brilliant playing the right side of three at back.

I really, really hope so!

4 hours ago, owls_wawaw said:

exactly this mate look what it did to Wallace...arguably one of best players in second half of the season 

Spot on - and previous post. Could add to this Fletch who came back stronger after being dropped. I can see the same happening to JR next season (if pressed by Fletch, Hoops and Winnal) and Bazza if he's being pushed by Abdi.  These 2 CHs would be great signings. As a few have pointed out it also gives options tactically if we look at a back 3. 

8 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

Daniel Ayala

Daniel Ayala

He plays with Lees in defence in the centre

In defence in the centre

He heads it away from the oncoming striker

Ay, Ayala Ayala

To the tune of 'I am a Walrus' by the Beatles?