DANIEL AYALA

Just now, gurujuan said:

Thats what the article implies, but I wouldn't have thought so. Seems Carlos is talking about improving the actual starting eleven this window, rather than the squad. That would mean no place for Tom Lees which seems unlikely

Lees is better than Hanley and Ayala so I would have thought even if we purchased both they would be fighting to start alongside Lees.

That is unless of course Carlos is thinking of switching to a back 3 which seems unlikely.

11 minutes ago, WalthamOwl said:

Long standing ankle injury a concern with regards Ayala, good player if can stay fit. Would we really sign both of them though? 

Given that we've already had a bid for Morrison turned down, I can't believe we'll try to sign all three. I'd rather forget Hanley of the three as he'd be very expensive and there is better value out there IMO. 

Of course, it depends on where Carlos sees Hutchinson's future. He has said he wants two players for every position, so if he sees Hutch as a midfield player, then we currently only have two centre backs. Ayala and Hanley would give us four, 2 left and 2 right

Guest wilyfox
3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Of course, it depends on where Carlos sees Hutchinson's future. He has said he wants two players for every position, so if he sees Hutch as a midfield player, then we currently only have two centre backs. Ayala and Hanley would give us four, 2 left and 2 right

C'mon now. Common sense says we're slapping in loadsa bids hoping to nab one of them. Ain't gonna be both. 

38 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

C'mon now. Common sense says we're slapping in loadsa bids hoping to nab one of them. Ain't gonna be both. 

Sure, Id be more than happy for Hutchinson to challenge for the right sided role, and then bring in someone better to play midfield anchor man

3 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Yep if I was Hanley or Ayala I would be sceptical about joining a club that already has potentially 3 first choice centre backs. I think they are players that would want first team football for their next move. 

i agree that we are probably only after one centre back, or Lees & Loovens will be dropped, or we plan to change to a 3 centre backs system - which seems the most unlikely thing knowing Carlos as we do 

Edited by Southie_Owl

4 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Yep if I was Hanley or Ayala I would be sceptical about joining a club that already has potentially 3 first choice centre backs. I think they are players that would want first team football for their next move. 

i agree that we are probably only after one centre back, or Lees & Loovens will be dropped, or we plan to change to a 3 centre backs system - which seems the most unlikely thing knowing Carlos as we do 

3 first choice centre backs?

I only see one. Loovens needs to be back up, and Hutch needs to be a midfielder. That leaves Lees. 

Guest wilyfox

Hanley is the one - even though Ayala may be the better defender. Boro's back-four were excellently drilled by Karanka, but they already look set to lose Gibson. I doubt they'd part with Ayala as well, especially to a rival. 

9 minutes ago, OxonOwl said:

So if we sign both, where does that leave Lees?

Fighting for his place which is exactly as it should be.

Lees was well below par at the beginning of last season, if we had quality competition for him he would have probably been dropped. All players have bad patches, if we want automatic promotion we can't really afford to play someone who is out of form for an extended period. Amazing how losing a starting place can motivate a player. 

That's not a dig at Lees, he's been great overall. It's just that we are a bit thin in central defence. Sasso has left the building so bringing in one centre back only takes us back to where we were last year. 2 would be better.

22 minutes ago, Russy said:

3 first choice centre backs?

I only see one. Loovens needs to be back up, and Hutch needs to be a midfielder. That leaves Lees. 

Well I meant if Hanley signed first then we'd have Hanley, Lees, Loovens and even Hutch to play centre back so if I was Ayala I would want assurances that I would be first choice or I would go somewhere where I would be. But as you say maybe the club will tell Hanley and Ayala that they would be first choice if they signed. 

Either way I'm happy we're linked with these calibre of players to start with