Hirst scores a hat-trick

Guest kelliesleftnut

regarding brentford getting rid of their set up i think you have to look at the location, some big clubs down their neck of the woods.

then have a look at our catchment area and the clubs around us, there is a lot of future premier league players out there in yorkshire and if we do it right they could be ours.

Guest We Shall Overcome
14 hours ago, TINKERBELL said:

3 years ago he'd be sold but not now I think. 

He won't be here long under this current coach, and that's from the 'Horses Mouth' as they say.

12 hours ago, Sgt Wednesday said:

Developing very nicely

Next season we need to trim down the options up top, so he gets a few opportunities in the early rounds of the cups.

More than happy to go into the season with:

Fletcher

Rhodes

Hooper

Winnall

Hirst

You notice I miss FF off that list, I don't see him in the striker role, more of an attacking midfielder.

Agree with this.

Still think there is a player in Joao, but if it came down to giving Hirsty game time or persisting with Joao, then it would be Hirsty all day long.

1 hour ago, kelliesleftnut said:

regarding brentford getting rid of their set up i think you have to look at the location, some big clubs down their neck of the woods.

then have a look at our catchment area and the clubs around us, there is a lot of future premier league players out there in yorkshire and if we do it right they could be ours.

And the fact that Prem clubs can scoop em up for nowt after they've spent years developing em

1 hour ago, ramone said:

Rhodes

Hooper

Forestieri

Winnall

Fletcher

Joao

Nuhiu

Even if you sack off the bottom 2 he wouldn't get a look in. Nor would I expect him to. A loan move for the season is the best thing for his development at the minute. And lets be honest, if he does and goes, then fine. Thats life. But he shouldn't be anywhere near Hillsborough next year. 

Forestieri should be on the left, so I'd take him out. Nuhiu's time has come to move on. Joao, well I'd rather give Hirsty some game time off the bench/in the cups.

With Hooper's recent injury record, Fletcher being a little hot and cold, expect Rhodes to be up to speed next season, and Carlos' seeming reluctance to play Winnall (think he might be flogged this coming window for a steady profit), Hirsty could get some reasonable game time.

Personally, I'd rather he got a season on loan somewhere, but I wouldn't mind him getting cameo roles and cup games here either.

Who the chuff does Taylor-Crossdale think he is, waltzing on as sub and getting to take another pen that would have given Hirsty his 4th goal after already taking and scoring one earlier.

(and no, HIrsty wasn't substituted!)

2 hours ago, ramone said:

Rhodes

Hooper

Forestieri

Winnall

Fletcher

Joao

Nuhiu

Even if you sack off the bottom 2 he wouldn't get a look in. Nor would I expect him to. A loan move for the season is the best thing for his development at the minute. And lets be honest, if he does and goes, then fine. Thats life. But he shouldn't be anywhere near Hillsborough next year. 

Bang on!!

We already have enough decent strikers at this level and I don't see the point in rushing Hirst into the first team set up. 

I had this discussion a few weeks ago with a mate of mine and said at the time that although his form has been impressive, I'm not convinced there'd be as many calls for him to make what is a huge step up to the first team if it wasn't for who his dad was.

I'd much rather see him go out on loan to a carefully chosen club in League 2 where he can be given the chance to learn and develop without the pressurised environment that can often be found in Hillsborough. I might be mistaken but if it's a youth loan, I'm pretty sure you can call him back after a month anyway so if he's not getting the game time needed we could always send him elsewhere.

There really is no need to rush him.

1 minute ago, TrickyTrev said:

Bang on!!

We already have enough decent strikers at this level and I don't see the point in rushing Hirst into the first team set up. 

I had this discussion a few weeks ago with a mate of mine and said at the time that although his form has been impressive, I'm not convinced there'd be as many calls for him to make what is a huge step up to the first team if it wasn't for who his dad was.

I'd much rather see him go out on loan to a carefully chosen club in League 2 where he can be given the chance to learn and develop without the pressurised environment that can often be found in Hillsborough. I might be mistaken but if it's a youth loan, I'm pretty sure you can call him back after a month anyway so if he's not getting the game time needed we could always send him elsewhere.

There really is no need to rush him.

I think you can. And I also think that youth loans can be done at any time during the season and aren't governed by the transfer window. 

At the minute, he's standing out playing against boys. As we all know, its a completely different kettle of fish playing against blokes. Could you imagine how he's fair against a Richard Keogh at Derby for example? 

Is it just me, or is the fact that he is the talented son of a SWFC legend harming him? Would he be 'too young', 'not yet ready', 'not strong enough', etc; etc; if he hadn't got a famous father? If he was to go out on loan I'd consider Rotherham, Doncaster or Chesterfield to be decent options, after all Preston North End did no harm to a young David Beckham.

1 hour ago, ZIMMY said:

He won't be here long under this current coach, and that's from the 'Horses Mouth' as they say.

Heard the same,wanted an improved contract ( not mega money),

Mr C refused ,so didn't sign the contract offered.

Apparently that's why hirst senior has nothing to do with the club now.will probably leave under the youth compensation scheme.

Bring back proper reserve team football. All this development squad stuff doesn't prepare youngsters to play against seasoned pro players.

In the reserves they'd come up against top players coming back from injury or older players just under 1st team level. Now they need to go on loan to lower league clubs, there's no chance those clubs will have the quality of coaches we do.

The system isn't working to the benefit of younger players.

16 hours ago, vulva said:

Question - who was the last player to come through the ranks and score 20 goals in a season for the first team?

And who was the last player to score 30 league goals for us?  Without looking it up, I'd guess at Roy Shiner in 1956.  Too long.  

37 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

And who was the last player to score 30 league goals for us?  Without looking it up, I'd guess at Roy Shiner in 1956.  Too long.  

David Layne scored 30 in a  single season, 52 in 74 appearances between 1962 and 1964.

2 hours ago, prowl said:

Bring back proper reserve team football. All this development squad stuff doesn't prepare youngsters to play against seasoned pro players.

In the reserves they'd come up against top players coming back from injury or older players just under 1st team level. Now they need to go on loan to lower league clubs, there's no chance those clubs will have the quality of coaches we do.

The system isn't working to the benefit of younger players.

Agree with this. Reserve football is the way forward. These kids come out of academy football able to do tricks for Soccer AM, and with lovely hair. Can't help thinking the current system cultivates the egos of the 'technical' mob, such as Ashworth and Southgate, rather than produce fit for purpose footballers. 

What they need is the ability to play football with the likes of Billy Whitehurst kicking them, in a competitive league. 

6 hours ago, kelliesleftnut said:

They are in the same catchment area as QPR, Millwall, Charlton, Barnet and Orient

All have the same big, powerful clubs to compete with

I get what people are saying about who his Dad is, but with the exception of say Richie Humphries we haven't had an attacker with so much promise. 

Forget  who is father is, this kid has some serious talent. I'd push for a L1 loan. I rate him.  

Edited by steelcityowlsfan

2 hours ago, steelcityowlsfan said:

I get what people are saying about who his Dad is, but with the exception of say Richie Humphries we haven't had an attacker with so much promise. 

Forget  who is father is, this kid has some serious talent. I'd push for a L1 loan. I rate him.  

Perfectly reasonable position to take

He should be on loan imo - league 1 would probably represent the right level

He'll learn nothing by sitting on our bench every week