Hirst scores a hat-trick

Just now, legendaryswan said:

If hes as good as we think he is,and everyone esle says he is why would we loan him out?

Because he's not a bona fide championship player - far from it

So he still needs to develop

I've seen him several times this season and while there is reason to get excited he is nowhere near ready for a frontline position currently

We can utilise it

When it's ready to be utilised

If he's a serious challenger for a starting spot to Rhodes/Winnall/Fletcher/Hooper etc - then fair enough

But if he's not considered ready to get regular gametime with us then he needs to get it elsewhere - and get schooled in the ways of high pressure 1st team football

Not u23 nonsense

Guest kelliesleftnut
6 hours ago, scram said:

13 hours ago, kelliesleftnut said:

regarding brentford getting rid of their set up i think you have to look at the location, some big clubs down their neck of the woods.

They are in the same catchment area as QPR, Millwall, Charlton, Barnet and Orient

All have the same big, powerful clubs to compete with

scram - you have only quoted part of my post, so what choice do the youth in our neck of the woods have ?

Yeah I do get that,but the higher the level he learns his trade at the quicker hel develop.

If we glance across the city they sold all their potential off and sat in never land for six years,lets at least give the kid untill xmas from the bench,let us benefit from our own gem rather than some other club,otherwise take the cash and offset Rhodes comming in and free up funds for the building work thats needed

3 minutes ago, legendaryswan said:

Yeah I do get that,but the higher the level he learns his trade at the quicker hel develop.

If we glance across the city they sold all their potential off and sat in never land for six years,lets at least give the kid untill xmas from the bench,let us benefit from our own gem rather than some oth er club,otherwise take the cash and offset Rhodes comming in and free up funds for the building work thats needed

But he wont develop as a shirt filler on the bench

Hence going back to my point - maybe he is the real deal and ready article - like Rashford at Man U who came from nowhere

But chances are he needs to get REGULAR high pressure 1st team game time -msomewhere

And if we can't provide that then he needs to go where he can get that - ergo go on loan

9 minutes ago, kelliesleftnut said:

scram - you have only quoted part of my post, so what choice do the youth in our neck of the woods have ?

The kids in Sheffield have a magnificent catchment area from which to be recruited - as well as ourselves and the pigs there is also Manchester, Liverpool, Yorkshire, Lancashire, Cumbria, Northumberland, Newcastle, Sunderland, Middlesbrough, Hull, Derbyshire, Notts....etc etc etc

18 minutes ago, scram said:

But he wont develop as a shirt filler on the bench

Hence going back to my point - maybe he is the real deal and ready article - like Rashford at Man U who came from nowhere

But chances are he needs to get REGULAR high pressure 1st team game time -msomewhere

And if we can't provide that then he needs to go where he can get that - ergo go on loan

We must come from different eras pal,in my day we stuck em in if theyd got the knack,but then young Tony Simmons got his chance under big Jack,scored way more than Hirstys kid and ended up at Lincoln United

Ive seen this lad,hes a natural goalscorer,Id put him in,I saw george best when he was seventeen score 3 at west brom

Edited by legendaryswan

1 hour ago, legendaryswan said:

That's not how it works... do you think if you throw a 16 year old into the Premier League for 4 years he'd develop into a better player than a 16 year old thrown into League 2 for 4 years? It's all about playing at the right level, not the highest... years of being outpaced, being kicked pillar to post and having to deal with a physical level above what he's capable of and you can ruin a player for life. Yes, you'll develop faster playing in a better environment, but in this instance 'better' doesn't necessarily mean 'higher in the league system'. If he's not good enough for the Championship, if he isn't able to reasonably adjust to its physical and mental demands, then he is better off lower down the pyramid. You can't rush it. 

1 hour ago, legendaryswan said:

If were not going to ulilise our talent,we may as well sell their potential on to the highest bidder and let the likes of arsenal ect take care of his future

It's not a case of "use it now or lose it forever"... why can't we utilise it in a year or so? ie... when it's ready. If Hirst can make the step up in the next 6 months then great, but by all accounts, including my own relatively shallow knowledge, he's not yet at a stage where he realistically could do so

I read an article the other day (okay, Daily Mail but still...)

In it the Crystal Palace chairman was calling for a cap on youth player salaries, claiming that since the start of EPPP the AVERAGE wage for a 17yr old amounts to £5k per week

He also said that one youngster who was invited to join in with their 1st team squad demanded £10k per week before doing so

I know this is slightly off topic, but am I right in thinking George Hirst has only the one year left on his contract?

If that's the going rate for a club like Palace then what are the top half dozen clubs willing to pay?

I'll bet it's a lot more than Mr C is prepared to 'invest' given that the player is unlikely to play a major role in next season's promotion push

So is a loan out really the best option? Seeing out the last year of his contract at a League 1 club, knowing that we're only likely to receive compensation when he moves on

Or, do we listen to offers now. Maybe even encourage an auction amongst the 'big boys'?

21 hours ago, teddybeararmy said:

Heard the same,wanted an improved contract ( not mega money),

Mr C refused ,so didn't sign the contract offered.

Apparently that's why hirst senior has nothing to do with the club now.will probably leave under the youth compensation scheme.

So so wrong.

The chairman has already turned down an offer that would have recouped the Adam Reach outlay and a contract agreed to reflect that.

Edited by casbahowl

No one can say that Hirst aint progressing at excellent rate, so it must ba said that coaches picked right kind of aproach with him.

Looking at amount of talent we have in position that he is playing, it only makes sense to send him out on loan.

1 hour ago, malek said:

No one can say that Hirst aint progressing at excellent rate, so it must ba said that coaches picked right kind of aproach with him.

Looking at amount of talent we have in position that he is playing, it only makes sense to send him out on loan.

Yes all he needs now is some first team experience...needs to be in a team that plays a passing agme like us though