Hirst scores a hat-trick

7 minutes ago, vulva said:

We've ploughed millions into the academy, and produced nothing. A hard nosed businessman would look at that and bin it off. 

Another question - what's the biggest fee we have received for a player who has come through the system. 

How do you know we have pumped millions into academy 

What England team is this? 

The under 19s are going to a training camp in prep for the euros 

http://www.thefa.com/news/2017/jun/01/england-u19s-pre-euro-training-squad-selected-0101617

The under 20s are in some sort of World Cup! 

http://www.thefa.com/news/2017/jun/01/u20s-to-face-mexico-in-world-cup-quarter-final-010617

And then there's the Toulon Tournament, which seems to include a load of 3rd rate countries.  No mention of it in The FA website 

How many teams teams do we have? 

1 minute ago, shezzas left peg said:

Thought man city signed him from somewhere else, or are they doing an arsenal and buying other teams youngsters and then pretending a season or two later they produced them themselves lol

11 minutes ago, ChapSmurf said:

I totally agree. While the clubs I'm about to mention are in a different solar system to others, the likes of Chelsea, Arsenal (okay, they klep a lot of youngsters from other teams), Man Ure, Liverpool, Tottingham Hottingspurs and more recently Man City, all have great developement infrastructure. I would love to see the amount of money these teams make from loaning and selling home grown talent. Moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooy of Udders being one example of a potetial large windfall for City.

And if just one player breaks through, it could be saving £10M's for a very small outlay. Plus, the players have the clubs ethos and playing methods instilled in them.

Mooy was playing for Melbourne in Australia for ages before signing for Man City last summer and he's about 26.

He's not Man City's homegrown talent 

5 minutes ago, Rogers said:

What England team is this? 

The under 19s are going to a training camp in prep for the euros 

http://www.thefa.com/news/2017/jun/01/england-u19s-pre-euro-training-squad-selected-0101617

The under 20s are in some sort of World Cup! 

http://www.thefa.com/news/2017/jun/01/u20s-to-face-mexico-in-world-cup-quarter-final-010617

And then there's the Toulon Tournament, which seems to include a load of 3rd rate countries.  No mention of it in The FA website 

How many teams teams do we have? 

Under 21s have got the euros, so have the under 19s, under 20s have the world cup and the toulon tourny is a mixed age squad this year coz of all the other stuff

2 minutes ago, bladeshater said:

How do you know we have pumped millions into academy 

Staff, pitches, players, infrastructure over 40 years. Millions. I completely get the concept, but the output is dire. 

15 minutes ago, vulva said:

We've ploughed millions into the academy, and produced nothing. A hard nosed businessman would look at that and bin it off. 

Another question - what's the biggest fee we have received for a player who has come through the system. 

Biggest fee - probably the £800k we got for Mel Sterland from Rangers 

41 minutes ago, MrTacoSWFC said:

I'm worried if he doesn't get into the senior squad soon he will be swayed to go somewhere that will...

Don't think this will be the case. If he does leave, it'll be for a bigger club who won't put him into the squad straight away.

16 minutes ago, thebrap11 said:

You know what George Hirst has got, or what he does that none of our 1st team strikers do? As soon as his team wether it be our u18s, u23s or England youth get the ball. He's off like a shot headed toward the box to get into a goal scoring position. Our first team lads run toward corner flag or loiter outside area.

In fairness if you watch our strikers particular Rhodes he looks to make an early run every time but for some reason Bannan,  Lee, Wallace,  Reach,  Hutch etc can't play an early ball in behind.

6 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Biggest fee - probably the £800k we got for Mel Sterland from Rangers 

Like I said, the output is dire. 

I'm all for a fantastic youth set up. Great idea. But we are crap at it. United absolutely blind us on this. Off the top of my head in recent times they've made big money on Jagielka, Naughton, Walker, Sharp, Ramsdale, Lowton, Maguire, Slew.  

We've done frig all. The place wants turning into a car park. 

20 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Thought man city signed him from somewhere else, or are they doing an arsenal and buying other teams youngsters and then pretending a season or two later they produced them themselves lol

All the big academies scout other clubs for their players

There is a very strong argument for binning off the foundation phase (9-11 ages) because very few players remain at clubs through the system from those ages but obviously clubs think they steal a march on others  by recruiting young

Some clubs are scouting down to 4 years old - but it is totally pointless

Look at the development history of most big academies and many of their players from 16 up will have been signed in latterly from elsewhere

34 minutes ago, vulva said:

Like Matthew Benham the Brentford owner and lover of stats

Binned off their academy

24 minutes ago, shezzas left peg said:

Well, they all klep youngsters these days so it's hard to know who is who and who came from where. But I think you are right, Man City did get him from somewhere else. An Aus team maybe?

28 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Mooy was playing for Melbourne in Australia for ages before signing for Man City last summer and he's about 26.

He's not Man City's homegrown talent 

Correct. I just wanted to see who was alert :ph34r:

No need to rush Hirst into the first team yet, not long turned 18 don't forget. He's developing very well, and we've got an excellent bunch of strikers to choose from in the senior side. Will be interesting to see if we feel if he's ready to spend time out on loan next season. 

I'm very excited to see what the future holds for him. 

46 minutes ago, vulva said:

Take a look across the city.   For a decade they stayed afloat from bringing in youth and selling, because they invested in the infrastructure and stole kids from under our noses.   We've had kids stolen under our noses for 2 decades and from further afield then S2.   It will take more than a couple of years to put that right.    Once it's right though, it's right and could easily become self generating income, either in sales or in less purchases.

This is investment, buying a player mid to late twenties for multiple millions is not true investment, it's a means to an end.

Edited by salmonbones

6 minutes ago, scram said:

Like Matthew Benham the Brentford owner and lover of stats

Binned off their academy

Is this the Brentford that are punching massively above their weight in a crowded London football market, and pick up players such as Jota, Andre Gray, Bidwell, Hogan, Tarkowski and Odubajo for next to nothing, selling most of them on for a big profit. I'd argue that they've spent their money more wisely. 

Just now, salmonbones said:

Take a look across the city.   For a decade they stayed afloat from bringing in youth and selling, because they invested in the infrastructure and stole kids from under our noses.   We've had kids stolen under our noses for 2 decades.   It will take more than a couple of years to put that right.    Once it's right though, it's right and could easily become self generating income, either in sales or in less purchases.

This is investment, buying a player mid to late twenties for multiple millions is not true investment, it's a means to an end.

Couple of years? Before Wylde, it was David Ford. The academy/youth system has produced 2 footballers from the thousands that have gone through it, to score 20 goals in a season. Best part of 60 years. I keep reading about Cat A, Cat B etc, domes, artificial pitches etc etc.  All I'm bothered about is how many players they produce for our first team. 

And we are utterly bobbar at it.