Fast wingers

1 minute ago, sheffield_dave said:

What an enigma JJ is.

Not saying he'd be any good for us now before anyone starts, but its amazing how often he was the only player who gave us what he did while he was here, and how we've still not replaced that role years later.

Absolutely.

I'm not saying he's the answer (as exciting as he could be to watch his end product was often erratic and I like to think we can do better now) but there have been times this season (not just on Wednesday night) when we've been crying out for an out and our winger with pace to isolate a full back, run at him and be more direct.

I'm sure there have been times this season when Rhodes, Hooper, Winnall and Fletcher would have liked a couple of direct wingers in the side.

2 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Next season should be Reach OR Wallace - not both - with someone of the above description on the other side. Bannan should either be playing centrally or on the bench. 

Reach and /or Wallace play as left or right sided midfielders rather than wingers...it's the full backs who do most of the crossing if and when we do.  Reach especially looks more productive and dangerous when running directly into the area.  Wallace more productive and dangerous when cutting in and shooting/working the keeper.  Generally on the corner of the box as opposed to the byline where they should be part of a combination with players such as Lee and Hooper running though and as you say Bannan being the link in the middle to either side.

FF or Reach for me on the left with Wallace on the other side.

5 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

What an enigma JJ is.

Not saying he'd be any good for us now before anyone starts, but its amazing how often he was the only player who gave us what he did while he was here, and how we've still not replaced that role years later.

So true. 

An infuriating player for the most part, but there are so few players who can travel with the ball at the pace like he could. 

Agree re: lack of pace (and I think we've missed having Helan as an option off the bench at times this season) but...

Weren't people commenting last pre-season that the squad needed more pace?  And nothing was done about it.  Nor does Carlos seem to show much interest in it.  And I don't really have much confidence in this being addressed this season while Carlos is still here.

For a team that tends to set up fairly deep and try and counter, not having a pacy outlet is absolutely bizzare.

46 minutes ago, ozzieowl said:

No CC doesn't use this system...

maybe should try it as likes of Rhodes n Winnall thrive off service. I.e. Why they aren't scoring now when usually score for fun. 

We rarely feed them with through balls like we did last season either. Bannan n Lee did last season but not so much now.  Mooey n Brown always looking to feed fast wingers in or Wells nipping through.  

We seem to lack in ideas this season. Needs sorting out. 

Yes CC has found a way to win ugly but should mix with flair not stop it altogether 

To be fair we played Huddersfield four times and beat them twice and drew twice. They are not the pinnacle of football. Tho I agree we can improve and they did very well in the playoffs 

Was thinking that other day, surely its first time in year we haven't had a player like hi to bring on to change a side or just to play in general to add something different. I don't mean go and get jj him self but you get the point 

With Carlos as the manager, we'll never have fast wingers in the team. He likes the full-backs to provide the width while the wingers cut inside to shoot/cross or drift centrally to get involved in build-up play. His style doesn't include fast wingers who can take a man on and get to the byline.

It's why wingers who like running with the ball (McGeady and McManaman) don't get a look in and wingers who cut inside and get involved in the middle (Reach, Wallace and Bannan when he plays there) are always going to be first choice.

56 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

Yes.

We never replaced the pace of fan favourite Jeremy Helan

Not really relevant. We want players with pace who can use the ball - Knockaert is a fine example - and not ones with blind pace.

The very best teams have pace. Newcastle, Brighton, Fulham, Huddersfield... ALL have pace in attacking positions. 

We're one dimensional when we attack, we need someone to get at players with pace and desire, but who also has the quality to create stuff.

Another important thing is we don't create enough chances. Players at this level aren't good enough to have one opportunity a game to make the different. We need to be making 7/8/9/10 clear crosses/chances a game next year. Get at them.

Might get slammed for this but is Alan Judge back yet?  May not be real pacy but when attacking from wide he has full backs on their heels and may be more of a Carlos type player. He also has a great goal scoring record. Also, am I the only one on here who thinks Nando work better with a bit more freedom in the wide role. He's not super quick over 20m but over 5 he gets round any full back. 

6 minutes ago, MOwl said:

Not really relevant. We want players with pace who can use the ball - Knockaert is a fine example - and not ones with blind pace.

Very relevant. Which is why I said it.

You can have fast players. We've had them. Helan. JJ etc. 

But what people really mean is someone with the pace of Bolt and the cunning of Wallace. 

Thing is though those players cost Millions and millions of pounds .

I'd like someone like Sadio Mane. Course I would....if we had a spare £34m hanging about.

Will Chansiri splash millions after what he's already laid out?

He's just spent between 6 and 10 million depending on who you believe on a striker who at this moment in time has the same goal ratio as Stevie May.

There comes a moment when the Chairman is going to want to see the players he's already forked out on deliver. And deliver on a consistent basis. 

1 hour ago, sheffield_dave said:

Having a work horse out wide is fine as long as you've got someone more direct on the other wing. 

I feel like this is kind of what Carlos wants to go for with this ridiculous thing of having Bannan on the left. Unfortunately Bannan still drifts too centrally and is generally wasted in that position, and having Wallace on the other side misses the point entirely. As much as I love Wallace and appreciate what he does give us, for what that system needs he isn't it.

We badly need somebody with raw pace out wide. We needed an out ball against Huddersfield the other night, someone who can get their head down and carry it out when we're on the counter and someone who is direct, can stretch team and can beat a man in attack. 

Next season should be Reach OR Wallace - not both - with someone of the above description on the other side. Bannan should either be playing centrally or on the bench. 

Agree with you mostly, although for me it is Wallace every single time as Reach just isn't enough of a threat going forward. Wallace and Forestieri on the wings can easily work. Just look at the Norwich game, with winnall and Rhodes up top. But if not I'd have had Mcmanaman in on either wing, absolutely wasted him this year.