Summer 2017 non-mega transfer thread

Just now, StudentOwl said:

He'd add pace, height, is probably sightly better than Hunt but even if you just stated he's direct competition as they're very similar in style (ie exactly what Carlos is after in a fullback, especially playing behind the Wallace and Boyd type of winger)... christ if there's any truth in this we'd be mad not to get him

Yeah exactly, he's a solid international and good going forward. He would be ideal for us and would add some much needed pace.

I think, Middlesbrough have had a bid rejected. They may go higher but it seems they're making low bids for players as they know they need to bring in a lot of players.

39 minutes ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

Yeah exactly, he's a solid international and good going forward. He would be ideal for us and would add some much needed pace.

I think, Middlesbrough have had a bid rejected. They may go higher but it seems they're making low bids for players as they know they need to bring in a lot of players.

Buy low, sell high, it's what they do

10 minutes ago, fred mciver said:

On rigidity, ok you can get the odd Hudders with some kids but how many in promoted Championship teams in last few years?

Average ages of promoted squads (according to transfermarkt)

16/17:

Newcastle - 24

Brighton - 25.5

Huddersfield - 24

15/16:

Burnley - 26

Middlesbrough - 25.4

Hull - 25.1

14/15

Bournemouth - 24.7

Watford - 25

Norwich - 24.4

Our current squad average age: 28.3

Worth noting that that figure is bloated because I'm pretty sure they won't include youngsters that make the bench etc as the season progresses (last season average age was 25.4)... but it illustrates the point and we still currently have the second oldest squad in the division (behind Burton). Nowt wrong with experience, but we were run ragged by a younger Huddersfield team that we should have had the beating of and we have more than enough 'experience' in the squad right now (I count 5/6 that would currently be in my starting XI)

Edited by StudentOwl

READING FC's Chris Gunter has shunned interest from rival clubs by putting pen to paper on a new three-year contract.

The Welsh international, whose deal was due to expire in 2018, was a transfer target for Garry Monk's recently relegated Middlesbrough and Premier League side Swansea City.

Monk activated the 27-year-old's £1m release clause but Gunter decided to commit his future to the Royals.

Student Owl,

Blimey, thanks for that really interesting stat update which clearly does show then we need a pace injection from youth.

I think FFP 's killing us as we seem to be low(ish) fees , or frees, but high wages.

And interesting ,all above promoted clubs had either parachute payments or wealthy owners (may be except Hudders).

Good job we have latter but his being quite new means clubs like Bournemouth , Watford, Brighton etc called on years of footy experience and infrastructure upgrades.

Shows how far we've come, so quickly. 

On 19/05/2017 at 10:04, Big Jack said:

We dont need to go mad as transfer fees are going to be ridiculous again. There are now many clubs with mega rich owners and now Forest have entered the mix.

We need to ship out fringe players (not easy ) and look around for quality free transfers, spend money on quality Any players we sign have to be an upgrade on what

we have. I think the championship transfer business is going to be mental again. We certainly will have tons of competition for players.  

You're right, we don't need to go mad We might though have ruled ourselves out of a possible lucrative avenue Many of our rivals used the loan system to bring in exciting youngsters, and it was those players who shone Our policy of only bringing in experienced pros, means we are unlikely to use that route, unless it's the likes of Buckley etc Those young talents can make a real impact, especially when we already have the experienced spine Think we're missing a trick

1 hour ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

READING FC's Chris Gunter has shunned interest from rival clubs by putting pen to paper on a new three-year contract.

The Welsh international, whose deal was due to expire in 2018, was a transfer target for Garry Monk's recently relegated Middlesbrough and Premier League side Swansea City.

Monk activated the 27-year-old's £1m release clause but Gunter decided to commit his future to the Royals.

Good player that lad, better than Pudil an Hunt by some stretch 

2 hours ago, StudentOwl said:

Average ages of promoted squads (according to transfermarkt)

16/17:

Newcastle - 24

Brighton - 25.5

Huddersfield - 24

15/16:

Burnley - 26

Middlesbrough - 25.4

Hull - 25.1

14/15

Bournemouth - 24.7

Watford - 25

Norwich - 24.4

Our current squad average age: 28.3

Worth noting that that figure is bloated because I'm pretty sure they won't include youngsters that make the bench etc as the season progresses (last season average age was 25.4)... but it illustrates the point and we still currently have the second oldest squad in the division (behind Burton). Nowt wrong with experience, but we were run ragged by a younger Huddersfield team that we should have had the beating of and we have more than enough 'experience' in the squad right now (I count 5/6 that would currently be in my starting XI)

Ooh I didn't know that :rolleyes:

OOH.jpg

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, Mr. Wednesday said:

Fulham are eying a move for experienced Norwich striker Cameron Jerome (Source: GetWestLondon) 

Hmm. Reckon he'd do well there replacing Martin. I was hoping Joao would morph into a Cameron Jerome-type. Hasn't happened. 

1 minute ago, wilyfox said:

Hmm. Reckon he'd do well there replacing Martin. I was hoping Joao would morph into a Cameron Jerome-type. Hasn't happened. 

He probably would being supplied by the likes of Cairney and with a few young pacy players to do the running and crossing for him.