On 17/05/2017 at 23:56, SallyCinnamon said:

Could just tell as he was walking up he was going to miss.

Head was down and he just wanted to get it out the way. No composure when it was most needed.

I hate to knock a player for missing a penalty, at least he stood up and took one. But awful penalty.

He had a great game too. He's a very unpredictable player, why he's not playing at the top flight

Exactly the same with Hutchinson's penalty 

Both can't be faulted for their effort and desire in the game though 

6 minutes ago, debram said:

Just need him fit, just gets going then another injury, frustrating.

100%. This might be a little unfair as I don't know the reasons but on occasions he's looked a little unfit and carrying a bit too much timber. It may be that he needs to take a bit better care of his basic fitness/health and maybe then he'd have less niggles but who knows really? A fit Hooper is a fantastic asset for us to be sure.

He was our talisman last season but has only shown glimpses this year. 

He is clearly a quality player and can change games in one second. However, the fact he didn't have a shot on target (save for the penalty) in the two games reflects his and the teams' dilemma in how we set up. It just doesn't suit him whereas last season it did. He then sulks which is a frustration trait of his, which when things don't go well generally, is highlighted to the supporters and then the criticism starts.

If we can abandon our slow and predictable build up play and develope a system that can get the most out of Forestieri, Lee and 2 out of Fletcher, Rhodes, Winnal and or Hooper, we could blow teams away next season.

The problem for me isn't Forestieri, more the system we are playing.

Personally I'd sooner see the manager go than Fernando

3 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Yes. But same as FF, where do we play him?

Behind top two for me FF out wideish. Much more attacking. I feel Reach should play left wing back and we should get a new right wing back and use wing backs for width. We are not far off been a top team imo. We have tried two styles in two season now is the time to find the equilibrium. 

Edited by don'tCallMeOwlCallYo

14 minutes ago, Animis said:

He was our talisman last season but has only shown glimpses this year. 

He is clearly a quality player and can change games in one second. However, the fact he didn't have a shot on target (save for the penalty) in the two games reflects his and the teams' dilemma in how we set up. It just doesn't suit him whereas last season it did. He then sulks which is a frustration trait of his, which when things don't go well generally, is highlighted to the supporters and then the criticism starts.

Just a general queston. How many teams get promoted in the top two without someone scoring 20 plus goals? FF has to create his own goals sometime because as a team we dont seem to create that many. We have the players to score 20 plus. We dont have the system to facilitate it IMO.

1 minute ago, don'tCallMeOwlCallYo said:

Behind top two for me FF out wideish. Much more attacking. I feel Reach should play left wing back and we should get a new right wing back and use wing backs for width. We are not far off been a top team imo. We have tried two styles in two season now is the time to find the equilibrium. 

Is that like a 4411 or a 532 or something else? Or a 343?

3 minutes ago, don'tCallMeOwlCallYo said:

Kind of a 22222 lol

2 CB

2 WB 

2 cm /dm

2 attacking mids 

2 forwards 

Ok. I agree with where Abdi and FF should play. It was just myvown personal curiosity as to what other players we woukd need or wouldnt need. Essentially we wouldnt need any wingers as such which is good anyway because we dont seem to play them that much. Could wallace or reach play the WB roles?

29 minutes ago, vulva said:

OK. We are close to FFP issues. Not critical, but close. Villa are in the biggest mess. 

Maybe the first step to adding the last couple of pieces to hit the top 2 spot is moving on the fringe players. There are a few like Matias who are great players on their day but over a season maybe not what we need. 

5 minutes ago, No 2 is r nilsson said:

Maybe the first step to adding the last couple of pieces to hit the top 2 spot is moving on the fringe players. There are a few like Matias who are great players on their day but over a season maybe not what we need. 

I make it 12 we need shift. Few there

14 minutes ago, billyblack said:

Ok. I agree with where Abdi and FF should play. It was just myvown personal curiosity as to what other players we woukd need or wouldnt need. Essentially we wouldnt need any wingers as such which is good anyway because we dont seem to play them that much. Could wallace or reach play the WB roles?

Reach would defo be there for me. Wallace not so sure but would play this season's formation alot away anyways as we have picked up more points away so he would play alot. My main target in the summer would be a right wing back and center back. This 22222 would be mostly at home or against naive sides. Would also make sure the new rwb is versatile like Reach and can play all along the right side. Think this would make us very adaptable and we could play 2 cm or 2 dm or one of each with it depending on the opposition. Or even switch too one DM and 3 attacking or one up top. Defo feel we should seriously consider the wing back option rather than wingers. 

Edited by don'tCallMeOwlCallYo

3 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Easily good enough for Wednesday, but not when played so obviously in the wrong position. 

At the the start of the season Carlos said Nando would play a lot out left, because he scored more goals there. Then played him striker nearly all season. Crazy decision.

Wonderful footballer. Badly managed.

He never said that and you know he didn't.

He actually played wide left quite often in the first few months of the season, during our worst period. Thank god he stopped doing it.

1 good performance on the left wing this season (Norwich) in 15 or so appearances. Thank god you're not our manager.

Guest Theboylangers

FF was far and away our best player last season and to be fair, he has shown glimpses of that this season. Unfortunately for us, not consistently enough. 

Whether this is down to Norwichgate, being played out of position at times, injuries, or him just throwing his toys out of the pram because he wanted a wage rise, we will never know. 

He tries hard but on Wednesday night he cut a frustrated figure for me, nothing was coming off for him. Then the bottom lip comes out.

Mardy, talented, annoying, gifted, mercurial. All of these could be used to describe FF this season. 

One of our better players for sure, just a shame that he hasn't shown it as often as last season. 

I think he might be the sacrificial lamb in the close season. 

Edited by Theboylangers
Grammar!

I think Fernando has to take some responsibility for this season to be honest, his antics completely derailed us at the start of the season and it took us a long time to fix it, Chansiri dangling the carrot of a new deal seemed to have been a masterstroke. People seem to forget this episode when having a pop at the manager for losing to a team on pens who finished level on points with us after resting players for the last 3 matches. 

I think it also speaks volumes that he was never even mentioned by anyone during the Player Of The Year vote.

FF's antics at the start of the season, along with a very odd style of play gave this season a weird, unfulfilling feeling which is very odd as we've clearly improved. 

He needs a good summer to get his head straight. 

To his credit he's still ended up our top scorer despite the stop start nature of his season. 

Just get the sense with Nando that mentally he's a bit all over the place. Sometimes he looks incredibly confident and up for it and other times he looks a bit lost. 

I thought he worked his knackers off on Wednesday night, but like the rest of the team it just wasn't clicking.