Fulham won't rest players

I remember Wednesday fielding a weak side against Southampton one time, a certain Chris Bart-Williams had a field day and I think we scored 5.   A lot of other players proved they weren't bit part players that night too (I think it was a night....i'm sure it was)

3 hours ago, Stainless1983 said:

This team should surely still still be good enough to compete...

IMG_6258.thumb.JPG.8b30a637c4d64a850fa52f5764bff699.JPG

Something like that would be fine but i'd play Lee and Lees as there coming back from injury, know Hooper is to but those 2 are used to playing every week and the game time will help them, same for Nando if he's fit enough.

5 hours ago, Stainless1983 said:

Jokanovic on SSN saying they won't be making 10 changes for Sunday because they don't have enough players. Also he doesn't want his players thinking it is time for a vacation.

Does this change your view on what we should do?

Im still in the 'rest' camp. It did us no harm last year.  

I know it's a bit different as Wolves were not in the play offs but I don't think a loss would change the mood or confidence of the players who are rested. We have a big enough squad to make the changes and still compete. 

Course they won't make 10 changes, they need to win to avoid us in the playoffs!

Anyone show me any upside to playing our first 11 other than 'there'll be 30,000 people at Hillsborough who deserve x,y,z'?

We play first team and win but potentially lose a player:  Downside risk

We put out a v strong second team made of players who would walk into most Championship sides:  Wildsmith, Palmer, Fox, Sasso, Lees, Macca, Jones, Lee, Buckley/ Matthias Nuhiu and Rhodes / Winnall will give Fulham real problems

win = puts the shits up everyone

draw so what?

lose so what?  

If you were an opposing team and were playing a side that had made 9 changes but which still included Lee, Forestieri, McManaman, Rhodes, Winnall, Buckley?  "**** me they've got strength in depth" - that for me is the strongest message we can send to Fulham/ the others.

Upside is also motivation, you'll have those fringe players chomping at the bit to play well and make the Play Off matchday squads

Edited by DuttyTeabags
Dobbin

Players can get injured on the training field or walking down the street, Theres no need to be resting players in case they get injured. I think Carlos will play a strong team, maybe 2 or 3 changes but our 'reserve' players dont really make us any weaker

Carlos is no mug.

Leave it to him, he knows his players and knows who he should/shouldn't rest.

Whatever he decides will be correct. I have complete faith in him.

Unless we lose in the playoffs and then it's all his fault!!!

4 hours ago, DuttyTeabags said:

Anyone show me any upside to playing our first 11 other than 'there'll be 30,000 people at Hillsborough who deserve x,y,z'?

We play first team and win but potentially lose a player:  Downside risk

We put out a v strong second team made of players who would walk into most Championship sides:  Wildsmith, Palmer, Fox, Sasso, Lees, Macca, Jones, Lee, Buckley/ Matthias Nuhiu and Rhodes / Winnall will give Fulham real problems

win = puts the shits up everyone

draw so what?

lose so what?  

If you were an opposing team and were playing a side that had made 9 changes but which still included Lee, Forestieri, McManaman, Rhodes, Winnall, Buckley?  "**** me they've got strength in depth" - that for me is the strongest message we can send to Fulham/ the others.

Upside is also motivation, you'll have those fringe players chomping at the bit to play well and make the Play Off matchday squads

The upside is momentum and possibly mental advantage over fulham. 

Let's say we play a full squad on sunday, end up 3rd, we vs fulham then in the semi finals knowing we just beat them, gives the mental edge over them. Not to mention the advantages that come with finishing 3rd or 4th in terms of fixtures. 

Then there is the winning run mentality, if you are in the habit of winning, it becomes exactly that, a habit. Going into wembley on the back of a 9 game winning streak fills you with confidence that you can keep winning. 

Mainly though, I feel when players are playing as well as they are now, you don't want to disrupt that, you want them to keep at the peak of sharpness. 

That all being said, I would like to see a bit of a middle ground. 3/4 changes to the squad as opposed to wholesale changes, more to raise the sharpness of some of the key subs than to rest anyone. 

I've heard Fulham want to win so that they are guaranteed not to play us in the semis.  Makes sense.  Think we shud try out the 7 bench players from last week, with 4 additions.   Still a strong side.  How good would it be if our reserves could hold or beat their first team?  Would demoralise them. 

Carlos will simply not show his hand by playing his best team in this meaningless game. Fulham would be able to analyse the strategy to death which would do us no favours if / when we meet in the playoffs 

4 minutes ago, BRADDO said:

Carlos will simply not show his hand by playing his best team in this meaningless game. Fulham would be able to analyse the strategy to death which would do us no favours if / when we meet in the playoffs 

As opposed to gleaming the strategy of our other 45 games? I am pretty sure they know our strategy inside out by now, as we likely do theirs

2 minutes ago, Havin-a-hoot said:

As opposed to gleaming the strategy of our other 45 games? I am pretty sure they know our strategy inside out by now, as we likely do theirs

Fair point. I just feel we have more to lose than gain by playing our strongest side

1 minute ago, BRADDO said:

Fair point. I just feel we have more to lose than gain by playing our strongest side

Maybe our strongest sure, but I think wholesale changes is a bit too far the other way. 3/4 changes seems a good amount to me. Too many changes and I am confident we will lose, and I feel a loss could be more damaging than people give it credit for. 

1 minute ago, Havin-a-hoot said:

Maybe our strongest sure, but I think wholesale changes is a bit too far the other way. 3/4 changes seems a good amount to me. Too many changes and I am confident we will lose, and I feel a loss could be more damaging than people give it credit for. 

Yes, I can't really argue with that Hoot