Sam Hutchinson

2 hours ago, alanharper said:

That's why I said that, Hutchinson and Lee are our two best central midfielders imo, yet I got several negs for saying I'd play them together - which means that some people would either drop our best defensive ballwinning central midfielder, or our only central midfielder who carries any attacking threat, in favour of Bannan who doesn't really do those things as well as the other two. I've nothing against Bannan, he's a quality footballer, but sometimes I do wonder what he's actually offering other than a lot of sideways passes and the occasional neat turn and Hollywood ball out to the wing.

If we're playing a 442 midfield it's got to be Hutchinson and Lee in the middle for me, although I do like the look of a 4312 with Hutch, Lee and Bannan across the middle and Forestieri playing between them and a front two.

When those two play together you end up with nobody in the centre of midfield.

Its never worked and never will.

Kieran Lee and Sam Hutchinson in midfield is my preferred option too and is what we played quite often last season with Bannan on the left, we now have enough quality for the left hand side with either Reach out there or FF.
Although I'm not against Bannan I'm with the others that don't see what qualitys he brings that the other two don't but are better at it. Hutch can do the long range passing, often better than bannan and can tackle too, Lee will track back and can also tackle but is also more capable of taking the ball forward.
Bannan at times is so frustrating to watch. For me Bannan drops to the bench if Hutch and Lee are fully fit.

3 minutes ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

When those two play together you end up with nobody in the centre of midfield.

Its never worked and never will.

apart from the large chunks of last season when they played together?

Fantastic player both at Centre Half and Midfield puts himself in the thick of it all the time which is great to watch. You can see also just how much he enjoys his football and appreciates being out there because of his injury scares in the past. Lee and Hutchinson both fit is a cracking midfield pairing, probably won't see it this season unfortunately with neither having many games under their belt in recent weeks. I wouldn't split Lees and Loovens up to get him in their experience is vital at this stage  especially Glenn 

48 minutes ago, Dave DJ said:

Kieran Lee and Sam Hutchinson in midfield is my preferred option too and is what we played quite often last season with Bannan on the left, we now have enough quality for the left hand side with either Reach out there or FF.
Although I'm not against Bannan I'm with the others that don't see what qualitys he brings that the other two don't but are better at it. Hutch can do the long range passing, often better than bannan and can tackle too, Lee will track back and can also tackle but is also more capable of taking the ball forward.
Bannan at times is so frustrating to watch. For me Bannan drops to the bench if Hutch and Lee are fully fit.

Nobody takes the ball forward like Bannan. Lee generally passes it short to Baz to do exactly that.

I really don't see Hutch Lee working.

16 minutes ago, prowl said:

5 wins in 5 games. Don't tinker, leave it alone.

Hutch is a great player but he should be on the bench for Ipswich, not starting. Bring him on late as Lee tires.

Agreed.

And then give him a full run our against Fulham if we secure a playoff place on saturday.

1 hour ago, HirstWhoScoredIt said:

Look at the stats.

You all know I will have lol

The only times we got away with it was when playing a Bannan 'wide' because we then actually had somebody in the centre of midfield.

You make it sound like that was an accident when that is the way it was intended to work. Lee goes forward , Bannan drops into the middle to cover the gap and the left back overlaps.

This season , because we have Reach as a more natural left footed wide player Wallace has the job of moving in from the right to fill the space in the middle.

By far the best natural midfield player we have to stay in the middle and play the normal midfield role is Jones and Carlos needs to think very hard before leaving him out. He has been  great recently.

4 hours ago, Holmowl said:

Which games do you think Lee Bannan were overpowered?

I don't recall any.

I am biased cos I think they are comfortably our best pairing, but if you can point some out fair-dos.

Playoff Final last year - and Hutch was playing too.

This has been debated before ..which would indicate it's not the first time it's been an issue.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

6 hours ago, daftpenguin said:

Don't see the point in going back to Lees and Hutch at CB now. Loovens is a far calmer influence on Lees. In the middle of defence you're better to play the partnership, not just the two best players in their position. It's about finding that balance in the team.

I'd put Hutch back in against Fulham if he's fit, regardless of our circumstances re: playoffs. He's ideal for that sort of game.

Perfect game for Hutchinson, would be excellent at man marking Cariney, Loovens would struggle big time against all that pace in the side, would surely play as a CB or CDM.

6 hours ago, Lee A said:

Yes

Next to Lee

With Bannan on the bench? We know a 4 man midfield of Lee/Hutchinson/Bannan/+1 isn't good enough to win promotion,

6 hours ago, JackSWFC said:

If fit, he can be part of the 4-3-3

Lee Hutchinson Bannan

Rhodes Hooper Forestieri 

You would drop Reach/Wallace/Fletcher on recent form?

Rhodes isn't suited to a wider role, needs to be central figure or not play.

Can't see Hutchinson coming back into the side even if he is fully fit. Defending hasn't been an issue this season it's scoring goals and as good as a team player he is, I would argue we are a better attacking team with a Bannan/Lee combination in the CM roles.

We're good enough now to try Lee/Bannan as a two in the centre (or atleast if Lee is fit) with any two of Reach/Wallace/FF out wide and Fletcher/Hooper up front. We should pick our best team on form, and with 5 wins in a row ever since Hooper has started as a striker with Fletcher in a 442 you have to play them together. Rhodes has a big impact when he comes on and bringing him on after 60 mins if goalless or behind makes other teams panic, good player but we've finally found a strike partnership that works..and if that means record signings Rhodes or even FF playing supporting roles so be it. 

48 minutes ago, Earlsfieldowl said:

Playoff Final last year - and Hutch was playing too.

This has been debated before ..which would indicate it's not the first time it's been an issue.

Lee and Bannan weren't the CM partnership though.

4 hours ago, bigash_swfc said:

Bench needs to be stronger than what's on the pitch, so they can alter a game..

Rhodes, Forestieri, Hutchinson, McManaman, Nuhiu, Palmer, Wildsmith.... is probably the best bench in The Championship.

Whoever is fittest between Lee and Jones starts, both underrated 

having a stronger bench than the side  you start with as me puzzled, by the time you get your  best side on the pitch you could be 2-0 down  ......don't think lee is underrated by anyone either .