Sam Hutchinson

22 minutes ago, Lionel Fessi said:

Perfect game for Hutchinson, would be excellent at man marking Cariney, Loovens would struggle big time against all that pace in the side, would surely play as a CB or CDM.

With Bannan on the bench? We know a 4 man midfield of Lee/Hutchinson/Bannan/+1 isn't good enough to win promotion,

You would drop Reach/Wallace/Fletcher on recent form?

Rhodes isn't suited to a wider role, needs to be central figure or not play.

Can't see Hutchinson coming back into the side even if he is fully fit. Defending hasn't been an issue this season it's scoring goals and as good as a team player he is, I would argue we are a better attacking team with a Bannan/Lee combination in the CM roles.

We're good enough now to try Lee/Bannan as a two in the centre (or atleast if Lee is fit) with any two of Reach/Wallace/FF out wide and Fletcher/Hooper up front. We should pick our best team on form, and with 5 wins in a row ever since Hooper has started as a striker with Fletcher in a 442 you have to play them together. Rhodes has a big impact when he comes on and bringing him on after 60 mins if goalless or behind makes other teams panic, good player but we've finally found a strike partnership that works..and if that means record signings Rhodes or even FF playing supporting roles so be it. 

Superb post.

5 hours ago, alanharper said:

That's why I said that, Hutchinson and Lee are our two best central midfielders imo, yet I got several negs for saying I'd play them together - which means that some people would either drop our best defensive ballwinning central midfielder, or our only central midfielder who carries any attacking threat, in favour of Bannan who doesn't really do those things as well as the other two. I've nothing against Bannan, he's a quality footballer, but sometimes I do wonder what he's actually offering other than a lot of sideways passes and the occasional neat turn and Hollywood ball out to the wing.

If we're playing a 442 midfield it's got to be Hutchinson and Lee in the middle for me, although I do like the look of a 4312 with Hutch, Lee and Bannan across the middle and Forestieri playing between them and a front two.

I was following you nicely until the jarring cliché.... Hollywood ball.

great problem for carlos to have but it will be a poisoned chalice if we were to lose in the play offs having left  some of the fans favourites out the starting 11........it's stating the bleeding obvious but he needs to be successful coz if he aint the "he's lost the plot" brigade will be out in force .......it's a real tough call for him if they are all fit , for me westwood, hunt,lees,hooper,wallace  are shoo ins, I could make a case for other 6 places from 12 different players knowing that whoever starts wouldn't let us down .  

7 minutes ago, torryowl said:

great problem for carlos to have but it will be a poisoned chalice if we were to lose in the play offs having left  some of the fans favourites out the starting 11........it's stating the bleeding obvious but he needs to be successful coz if he aint the "he's lost the plot" brigade will be out in force .......it's a real tough call for him if they are all fit , for me westwood, hunt,lees,hooper,wallace  are shoo ins, I could make a case for other 6 places from 12 different players knowing that whoever starts wouldn't let us down .  

Go on then..Two options.. Fulham in the play off final...And, say Leeds for fun.

How would you set us up?  Plus subs.

9 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

Go on then..Two options.. Fulham in the play off final...And, say Leeds for fun.

Can I play...

Current defence

Wallace Lee Bannan Reach

Hooper Fletcher

(Wildsmith,FF, Rhodes,Hutch,Nuhiu, Macca, Sasso)

Too good for Fulham or Leeds. Immense strength and game changers off the bench.

Shame for Jones. He has been excellent, but Bannan is our pivot and Lee is one of the best CMs in the league.

2 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

I don't know ........i could go for last years losing side and tell em to turn up this time ....honestly believe we could pick 4 strong  sides capable of winning  using different combinations  of the 18-20 players in the squad

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

Can I play...

Current defence

Wallace Lee Bannan Reach

Hooper Fletcher

(Wildsmith,FF, Rhodes,Hutch,Nuhiu, Macca, Sasso)

Too good for Fulham or Leeds. Immense strength and game changers off the bench.

Shame for Jones. He has been excellent, but Bannan is our pivot and Lee is one of the best CMs in the league.

Can't fault that. What scenario is it?

I can't make any case at all for partnering Lee and Bannan in centre midfield.

They had their chance to establish the partnership in the early part of the season when Carlos played them with Hutch at the back

Ww were not solid enough , played decent football but were porous.

The obvious game to recall was Brighton at home where midfield got steamrollered.

However I think Carlos will play it and I think it will cost us.

Just now, torryowl said:

I don't know ........i could go for last years losing side and tell em to turn up this time ....honestly believe we could pick 4 strong  sides capable of winning  using different combinations  of the 18-20 players in the squad

True.  I know you've got your paper round tomorrow...But would you put the same team out in both scenarios?

2 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

I can't make any case at all for partnering Lee and Bannan in centre midfield.

They had their chance to establish the partnership in the early part of the season when Carlos played them with Hutch at the back

Ww were not solid enough , played decent football but were porous.

The obvious game to recall was Brighton at home where midfield got steamrollered.

However I think Carlos will play it and I think it will cost us.

Quoting one game isn't fair.

Been busy and not checked the thread since I started it.. seems like people are torn. Player of the season, first name on the team sheet etc but then you have to consider who to drop against a run of 5 wins without him and Lee coming back.

For me he replaces Semedo on the bench as a centre back / defensive midfield option. 

Just now, Costello 77 said:

Quoting one game isn't fair.

If you read my post I say the early part of the season and use Brighton because they are a top side and if we are to get promoted we need to beat some top sides.

I can only give my opinion. If you don't agree , fair enough.

My opinion is also the best centre midfield player for us on this run of 5 wins has been Jones even though he missed the last game

3 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

True.  I know you've got your paper round tomorrow...But would you put the same team out in both scenarios?

i cant name a team any 11 of the squad is fine by me no matter who we play ....carlos copped a load for his recruitment this year but for me he's got it right with the depth we now have .

1 minute ago, oldishowl said:

If you read my post I say the early part of the season and use Brighton because they are a top side and if we are to get promoted we need to beat some top sides.

My opinion is also the best centre midfield player for us on this run of 5 wins has been Jones even though he missed the last game

I see. So what set up do you want?

6 minutes ago, oldishowl said:

We had 23 chances to Brighton's 5. The CM of Lee and Bannan were clearly very creative and let precious little through in the other direction.

Last season Lee and Bannan were our most successful CM pairing by some margin.

However, I don't disagree about Jones. He has been an outstanding part of an outstanding team this last 5 games. Huge dilemma.