Sam Hutchinson

8 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

We had 23 chances to Brighton's 5. The CM of Lee and Bannan were clearly very creative and let precious little through in the other direction.

Last season Lee and Bannan were our most successful CM pairing by some margin.

However, I don't disagree about Jones. He has been an outstanding part of an outstanding team this last 5 games. Huge dilemma.

You know I am not a stats man . They mean nowt. I prefer to remember the game itself

Any good chances we had were late on when they sat back at 2-0 and let us come at them. Reach missed  a half volley and Hooper scored, I think .

Up to then they controlled the game.

Your  statement about Lee and Bannan is quite a stretch in my mind. I remember Hutch being immense in midfield and Lopez coming good at the end of the season.

I remember Lee and Bannan starting a low number of games , mainly at home and nowhere near a majority of the 50 odd games we played. 

1 hour ago, Holmowl said:

Lee and Bannan weren't the CM partnership though.

Hutch sits deep and Bannan cuts inside.  CC like players interchanging so they often ended up together in a more central position.

We end up with a narrow midfield with two of our smaller players in it.

Both were pretty annoynmous in that game, though tbf they weren't the only ones.

Edited by Earlsfieldowl

4 minutes ago, Costello 77 said:

I think Ipswich is the one game this season where we need one up front.

I'd go Fletcher and five in midfield..Just for this game with the table as it stands.

don't see that ...why change what's got us where we are ?........don't know much about Ipswich but don't think there good enough to warrant us changing how we play .

6 minutes ago, Liamswfc92 said:

Lee and Hutch in the middle when everyone is fit.

Just pray to god Bannan doesn't get shifted out wide again as before. Never been a winger.

Agree with the first bit (if it's 442).

Bannan wouldn't even be in my top 3 central midfielders currently at the club. Abdi's also better. 

The 2nd bit is a ridiculous thing to say. Played most of last season on the left and ended up in the championship team of the year.

8 hours ago, torryowl said:

I don't know ........i could go for last years losing side and tell em to turn up this time ....honestly believe we could pick 4 strong  sides capable of winning  using different combinations  of the 18-20 players in the squad

I think you are spot on. We have such unbelievable strength in our squad.

To select only two of Lee, Bannan, Jones and Hutch?

To select only two of Rhodes, Hooper and Fletcher?

To select Reach or FF?

Pretty much any five of the above, plus Wallace, are a top notch front six.

But we dont need to find the winning combination, because by hook, crook, injury or luck, Carlos has found one, and until they stop winning he needs to stick with it.

Hutch on the bench with the option of bringing him on to do the Semedo role if required later on in the game. Why would we need to start him based on:

a) we've just won 5 in a row

b) he adds very little going forward and creativity-wise

c) Bannan and Lee don't deserve to be dropped

I still stand by my belief that he is a better centre half and at the moment, we don't want to be disrupting that back 4x. Loovens was very good against Derby so stay as is.

If Nando can sit on the bench, so can Sam.

19 minutes ago, roundhayowl said:

Hutch on the bench with the option of bringing him on to do the Semedo role if required later on in the game. Why would we need to start him based on:

a) we've just won 5 in a row

b) he adds very little going forward and creativity-wise

c) Bannan and Lee don't deserve to be dropped

I still stand by my belief that he is a better centre half and at the moment, we don't want to be disrupting that back 4x. Loovens was very good against Derby so stay as is.

If Nando can sit on the bench, so can Sam.

Don't deserve to be dropped? They've played 50 odd minutes together in 1 game and we were poor until we changed it.

You can count on 1 hand the amount of times Bannan/Lee has looked a good partnership. 

Id like to see Hutch back in (if he's fit) and a 433 formation for the remainder of the season. Give ourselves the best possible chance of scoring goals and getting promoted.

2 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

Don't deserve to be dropped? They've played 50 odd minutes together in 1 game and we were poor until we changed it.

You can count on 1 hand the amount of times Bannan/Lee has looked a good partnership. 

Id like to see Hutch back in (if he's fit) and a 433 formation for the remainder of the season. Give ourselves the best possible chance of scoring goals and getting promoted.

In 40+ games out of 44 he has played 442.

We are 5th.

Won 5 in 5.

No chance he is contemplating switching systems.

Bannan and Lee are a superb duo too. I think Jones may well be ahead of both Hutch and Lee if he is fit, though that seems unlikely from what Carlos is saying.

Edited by Holmowl

2 minutes ago, Holmowl said:

In 40+ games out of 44 he has played 442.

We are 5th.

Won 5 in 5.

No chance he is contemplating switching systems.

Bannan and Lee are a superb duo too. I think Jones may well be ahead of both Hutch and Lee if he is fit, though that seems unlikely from what Carlos is saying.

Won 5 in 5 thanks to Carlos switching to 433.

It would be rather strange if he wasn't contemplating switching systems considering the players we now have. 

And if Jones is ahead of Hutch and Lee, Carlos has lost the plot.

19 hours ago, Holmowl said:

So

Wallace Hutch Bannan

Hooper Rhodes/Fletcher FF

I can't see Carlos switching from 442 to 433 after he has stuck with it for every game except Rotherham. He has used 433 in late stages when we have needed a goal and it has worked well, but can't see him starting 433 at this critical stage.

I thought this worked brilliantly on Saturday...

Wallace Bannan Reach

Hooper

Rhodes Fletcher

If playing Wallace on the right of a three man midfield away from home I'd probably go for:

Hutch

Wallace          Jones

Macmanaman   Fletcher     Forestieri.

The downside (as Lord Snooty says) is that we have a number of quality centre forwards from which you would be picking only one to play down the middle.

And there's no way I think Carlos is going to change from a 4-4-2 this season.

8 minutes ago, kingsidney said:

I'd put him back in defence going forwards, will extend his career and looking forwards to next season don't think loovens will be first choice centerback whatever division we're in. 

We need to be looking for loovens successor even though our form when he plays is good, hutch isn't the long term answer

Carlos ain't going to change much.

We will start with his version of 442

The only positions up for grabs are who plays centre midfield and who starts at the side of Hooper 

Even if Hutch is 110% fit he won't be at centre half. That idea has had it's day for this season 

If Hutch and/or Jones are fit to play tomorrow then I would play one or both. Carlos will probably go with Lee and Bannan. Hope he is right and not me.

Fletcher at side of Hooper