New Ground? Make it big enough for a Sheffield Twenty20 cricket team

1 hour ago, Sham67 said:

We've gave Sheffield a more than adequate cricket ground.  I'm sure it could be brought back in to use at minimal cost

Yes its at the lane and it should be brought back into life, get rid of whatever is there at the same time.

1 hour ago, Warnocchio said:

ECB said today that there will be 8 city teams playing 20 20 cricket next season. Theres nowhere in Sheffield that could stage this at the moment. 20 20 would be a massive draw in Sheff. Crowds average 28,000 in Australia. Much bigger in India

This would be a fantastic money spinner for a new stadium. All the games will take place in the close season. With todays tech it should be possible to get both sports in one ground.

The timing might be perfect for Wednesday and Chansiri. Lets get cricket back in Sheffield. Our roots are as a cricket team. Much as i love Hillsborough finally get s new stadium and make new history there. Its a perfect fit

A big fat NO 

38 minutes ago, TrickyTrev said:

If they want cricket in Sheffield they can go and play where it used to be played before the scrubbers were formed.

That was my immediate thought. Bramhall Lane was perfect for cricket. They should have scrubbed the footy pitch and just made it into a cricket stadium, problem solved. 

2 hours ago, Warnocchio said:

ECB said today that there will be 8 city teams playing 20 20 cricket next season. Theres nowhere in Sheffield that could stage this at the moment. 20 20 would be a massive draw in Sheff. Crowds average 28,000 in Australia. Much bigger in India

This would be a fantastic money spinner for a new stadium. All the games will take place in the close season. With todays tech it should be possible to get both sports in one ground.

The timing might be perfect for Wednesday and Chansiri. Lets get cricket back in Sheffield. Our roots are as a cricket team. Much as i love Hillsborough finally get s new stadium and make new history there. Its a perfect fit

A) it'll be Leeds

b) why would we want a round stadium the size of a cricket pitch, it's not Aussie rules 

c) cricket is bigger in India and Australia, I doubt the crowds would average 15k. It would be on TV and everyone would watch it at home. Even in Australia the crowds aren't that big, only special games 

I get the OPs idea of a multi event stadium , but certainly not cricket.

The future is multi event stadia , such as the University of Phoenix Stadium , with rectractable pitch and roof, Hosts an average different event every 2 days , concerts , exhibitions and sporting events.

What a proper stadium should be. Trouble is , who's got £400M spare.

Much prefer Hillsborough at the mo , but we can dream.

1 minute ago, daztheowl said:

I get the OPs idea of a multi event stadium , but certainly not cricket.

The future is multi event stadia , such as the University of Phoenix Stadium , with rectractable pitch and roof, Hosts an average different event every 2 days , concerts , exhibitions and sporting events.

What a proper stadium should be. Trouble is , who's got £400M spare.

Much prefer Hillsborough at the mo , but we can dream.

Ideally you need a sport that's played in the close season, unfortunately there isn't one that attract any crowds. 

Soccer / American Football

Cricket / Aussie Rules 

Football / ? Field hockey