New Ground? Make it big enough for a Sheffield Twenty20 cricket team

9 hours ago, Neal M said:

To be fair, Phoenix is the fastest growing metro area in the U.S. (about 5 million now) and is a huge destination for tourists, conferences, and winter snowbirds. It's also on the Superbowl rotation.

Sheffield is not such a huge draw for tourists or conferences and its population (city and metro area) is closer in size to Colorado Springs or Tucson. Neither of which have a fancy 400 million stadium.

True , but I was merely quoting it as an example. Schalke's Veltins Stadium , an earlier model , of which inspired the University of Phoenix Stadium , is in Gelsenkirchen (population 260.000). Although in a large metro region of circa 8.5M covering an area of 1,700 sq. miles , they had the foresight of multifunctional stadia.

I'm not saying we should encompass their philosophy , I'd much rather redevelop Hillsborough , but I can see the larger clubs around the UK developing this kind of stadia as an alternative revenue generator.

If push came to shove , I can't see Mr. Chansiri funding a new stadium for football alone. He's an astute businessman , who will be looking for extra revenue , though I very much doubt he has the resources to compete at that level. Perhaps on a more scaled down version.

23 hours ago, Warnocchio said:

ECB said today that there will be 8 city teams playing 20 20 cricket next season. Theres nowhere in Sheffield that could stage this at the moment. 20 20 would be a massive draw in Sheff. Crowds average 28,000 in Australia. Much bigger in India

This would be a fantastic money spinner for a new stadium. All the games will take place in the close season. With todays tech it should be possible to get both sports in one ground.

The timing might be perfect for Wednesday and Chansiri. Lets get cricket back in Sheffield. Our roots are as a cricket team. Much as i love Hillsborough finally get s new stadium and make new history there. Its a perfect fit

wee wee off stupid pig fan

Guest Grez Bez

Terrible idea but if we built in the city centre we could double up as an exhibition center

Would be great for Sheffield and would rake the cash in....