New Ground? Make it big enough for a Sheffield Twenty20 cricket team

3 minutes ago, Rogers said:

Ideally you need a sport that's played in the close season, unfortunately there isn't one that attract any crowds. 

Soccer / American Football

Cricket / Aussie Rules 

Football / ? Field hockey 

That's where the alternative events come into the equation , concerts exhibitions. If that stadium can average 150+ events a year , as opposed to our 23+ , the revenue generated must be phenomenal.

As I said , but a pipedream.

A uniform no then! 

Think it shows that there isnt as much crossover in fanbase as i thought. 

Lots of incorrect assumptions though as you guys clearly aint bothered about cricket.

First t20 blast is absolutely fxxking booming. attendance wise up 18% year on year. Headingley sold out twice last year 16,500. Lancs game sold out 2 months in advance.

Tottenham are building a dual purpose stadium right now. Stands roll under the upper tiers. Its for NFL but the principles are the same.

Cricket wickets can be dropped in these days for t20. You dont need a square.

The new t20 city based will start with 8 yes and leeds will be in there but it will expand. And it will be comparable with ipl and big blast. 

As a previous poster said. The revenues make the stadium viable.

Its all over in 3 hours. And you can drink watching the game. Even SAG cant stop that.

40 minutes ago, Warnocchio said:

A uniform no then! 

Think it shows that there isnt as much crossover in fanbase as i thought. 

Lots of incorrect assumptions though as you guys clearly aint bothered about cricket.

First t20 blast is absolutely fxxking booming. attendance wise up 18% year on year. Headingley sold out twice last year 16,500. Lancs game sold out 2 months in advance.

Tottenham are building a dual purpose stadium right now. Stands roll under the upper tiers. Its for NFL but the principles are the same.

Cricket wickets can be dropped in these days for t20. You dont need a square.

The new t20 city based will start with 8 yes and leeds will be in there but it will expand. And it will be comparable with ipl and big blast. 

As a previous poster said. The revenues make the stadium viable.

Its all over in 3 hours. And you can drink watching the game. Even SAG cant stop that.

Actually I am, and watch quite a bit of county cricket. However, I'm a bit of a traditionalist, only watching red ball cricket, and sadly the longer format is dying, there simply isn't enough support for it these days

1 minute ago, gurujuan said:

Actually I am, and watch quite a bit of county cricket. However, I'm a bit of a traditionalist, only watching red ball cricket, and sadly the longer format is dying, there simply isn't enough support for it these days

Funnily enough I agree too re the red ball. Tests or County.  Ive been to 20 20 but not really for the cricket. I do think its here to stay though and the plan for City based games will bring in a lot of fans and it generates a lot of revenue through ground sales.

Itll be a pity if such a big cricketing and sporting  city as Sheffield has no venue.

3 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Don't you think some of the shot making that came to the fore in white ball cricket have enhanced the talents of batsmen by way of rotating the strike and keeping the scoreboard ticking instead of long periods of maidens and leg byes?

Great idea and I support the sentiment - but it isn't practical. A cricket ground is basically an oval and has to be at least twice the area of a football pitch, ideally bigger. It is more difficult to combine football and cricket than it is football and athletics (Olympic stadium and West Ham). You end up  with football supporters a very long way from the action. Anyone who went to Bramall Lane when it was dual purpose will know what a poor compromise it was - OK for the days when the crowd stood and sat on the grass but not for the modern era. Sheffield had its chance of both with Bramall Lane for cricket and Hillsborough for football; Bramall Lane had the potential to be far better than Headingly. But at the time, Sheffield United were doing well, Wednesday were in the doldrums so in no position to make a real input and the Yorkshire (or Leeds as in Look Leeds) Cricket Club wanted to snuff out Sheffield. In fact North and Central Yorkshire have run Yorkshire CC and ignored South Yorkshire for many years and it only changed quite recently with Michael Vaughan, Joe Root and the formation of the ECB South Yorkshire Premier League. So the opportunity was lost and the last first class cricket match was played in August 1973 at Bramall lane. A half hearted attempt to use the Collegiate ground didn't last long and won't happen again as houses were built on the top end of the pitch.

If we wanted first class cricket and Test cricket back in Sheffield, it would need a dedicated stadium (which could combine with athletics). The last time we had anything near was the Don Valley stadium and I don't remember first class cricket ever being played there.

45 minutes ago, The Dukeries Owl said:

Don't you think some of the shot making that came to the fore in white ball cricket have enhanced the talents of batsmen by way of rotating the strike and keeping the scoreboard ticking instead of long periods of maidens and leg byes?

Yes I do, and I'd like to think there's room for both one day, and four day cricket Sadly, I don't think there is

11 minutes ago, Andrew Robinson said:

Great idea and I support the sentiment - but it isn't practical. A cricket ground is basically an oval and has to be at least twice the area of a football pitch, ideally bigger. It is more difficult to combine football and cricket than it is football and athletics (Olympic stadium and West Ham). You end up  with football supporters a very long way from the action. Anyone who went to Bramall Lane when it was dual purpose will know what a poor compromise it was - OK for the days when the crowd stood and sat on the grass but not for the modern era. Sheffield had its chance of both with Bramall Lane for cricket and Hillsborough for football; Bramall Lane had the potential to be far better than Headingly. But at the time, Sheffield United were doing well, Wednesday were in the doldrums so in no position to make a real input and the Yorkshire (or Leeds as in Look Leeds) Cricket Club wanted to snuff out Sheffield. In fact North and Central Yorkshire have run Yorkshire CC and ignored South Yorkshire for many years and it only changed quite recently with Michael Vaughan, Joe Root and the formation of the ECB South Yorkshire Premier League. So the opportunity was lost and the last first class cricket match was played in August 1973 at Bramall lane. A half hearted attempt to use the Collegiate ground didn't last long and won't happen again as houses were built on the top end of the pitch.

If we wanted first class cricket and Test cricket back in Sheffield, it would need a dedicated stadium (which could combine with athletics). The last time we had anything near was the Don Valley stadium and I don't remember first class cricket ever being played there.

Agree re ignoring South Yorkshire  but they did actually play at Abbeydale for quite a few years. I went several times bunking off school. It was the fastest pitch in the country and there was a memorable game vs West Indies where i think Wayne Daniel broke David Bairstows  arm. Or maybe it was Middlesex.

5 hours ago, daztheowl said:

I get the OPs idea of a multi event stadium , but certainly not cricket.

The future is multi event stadia , such as the University of Phoenix Stadium , with rectractable pitch and roof, Hosts an average different event every 2 days , concerts , exhibitions and sporting events.

What a proper stadium should be. Trouble is , who's got £400M spare.

Much prefer Hillsborough at the mo , but we can dream.

To be fair, Phoenix is the fastest growing metro area in the U.S. (about 5 million now) and is a huge destination for tourists, conferences, and winter snowbirds. It's also on the Superbowl rotation.

Sheffield is not such a huge draw for tourists or conferences and its population (city and metro area) is closer in size to Colorado Springs or Tucson. Neither of which have a fancy 400 million stadium.

Edited by Neal M

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

3 hours ago, Lostowl said:

Don Valley could easily have been adapted for this.

Shame 

I was about to make the same point that Don Valley was used for some exhibition cricket games in the early 90's.

Think a full Yorkshire team played but was not a competitive game.

With drop in pitches I sure if still standing DVS could have been used for T20 with the fireworks and music.

If SWFC had a new stadium even as a cricket fan I don't think you can have both at the same venue for obvious reasons.

I think they do in Australia at the MCG have some 'Soccer' games but these are one offs.

Wherever you go, even to watch local cricket, the ground itself (i.e the playing area, not just the wicket) covers a large area , far larger than a soccer pitch.Don't forget that Leeds has its own cricket club, completely separate from Elland Road. Logistically, I don't think it would work