Played decent.

44 minutes ago, ohgoditsjames said:

Anyone who actually went tonight would know we played decent. Both teams played positively, both had some great chances, both scored great goals and both defended very well. Saying that, the ref was diabolical in the 2nd half, how many hand balls?

Burton were one of the better sides to come here.

Almost a +1 from me until I read the last line.

Edited by OneDavidHirst

58 minutes ago, crookesowl said:

Agree with the OP. 

Burton made it very difficult. They parked their bus and were fortunate to get a point, although they sort of deserved it. 

People saying that was terrible... please explain how you break down a team that puts everyone behind the ball like that. I thought we tried everything, it nearly paid off. 

Need to take the point, stick together, stay positive, and move on. 

In my book you get down the wings to the corners and get crossed in. Reach put 2/3 good balls in but not enough players gambling in the box against a very poor keeper

1 hour ago, ohgoditsjames said:

Anyone who actually went tonight would know we played decent. Both teams played positively, both had some great chances, both scored great goals and both defended very well. Saying that, the ref was diabolical in the 2nd half, how many hand balls?

Burton were one of the better sides to come here.

Give over. 

Hard working and reasonably well organised. That's as much as I could give them.

They couldn't string 3 passes together and were regularly slicing clearances and gifting the ball back to us. If they looked any better than the poor team they are, it's because we made them look that way.

So disappointed with us tonight. The lack of quality in and around the box was staggering. Reach was the only one who actually put some quality in the box. 

Typical Wednesday.

My take on it was, it wasn't like the bad old days of pre Norwich. True, we started slowly again, but we did manage to create chances, but unfortunately we saw the other side of Rhodes and Winnall. Forestieri and Bannan apart, we didn't have the craft to unlock the Burton defence. No matter, we need to win at Villa now, and I think that means leaving Winnall out, and switching Forestieri back up front. Disappointed, but I've enjoyed my five day break in Sheffield

Edited by gurujuan

Burton were organised and recognised their limitations and got what they came for.

We relied too much on Bannan to provide the creativity, he cannot do it all himself, he needs another good ball playing midfield partner, to provide a foil and play the ball through the middle as well providing balls out wide. We have to mix it up more.

Completely agree with you op. I just think we were a bit unlucky. Any other time that amount of crosses we put in box could have resulted in 1-2 goals. 

We were positive and controlled the game. Not much we could do about there goal, gutted as well as Westwood had just pulled off a worldie. 

We played well again a defensive formation of 1-10-0. It was never going to be easy. I said at the start it would a tough game with the odd goal in it. 

Rhodes should have made a better connection with his effort late on and to be fair we were restricted to long shots and crosses. Burton's game plan was spot on...these things happen in football.

43 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

We played well again a defensive formation of 1-10-0. It was never going to be easy. I said at the start it would a tough game with the odd goal in it. 

Rhodes should have made a better connection with his effort late on and to be fair we were restricted to long shots and crosses. Burton's game plan was spot on...these things happen in football.

Although they had almost as many shots on target as us

4 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Although they had almost as many shots on target as us

And?? I don't get your point??? Their goal was a strike that was good enough for any level of footbal and the rest of their chances came from corners. My guess would be set pieces n corners were always going to be their main source of chances!! 

37 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

And?? I don't get your point??? Their goal was a strike that was good enough for any level of footbal and the rest of their chances came from corners. My guess would be set pieces n corners were always going to be their main source of chances!! 

and our biggest weakness

5 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

and our biggest weakness

I would agree...we look very suspect with Sasso and Loovens as a pairing!! Hutch has to drop back in there and we have to give Jones a run of games to find some form. Jones was decent last night and with a run of games he would find the match sharpness that people seem to pick him up on.

Burton were always going to play the way they did, anyone who thought other wise is daft. We played decent against a team that all said and done came to  make it hard and spoil the game. I think i am right in saying that apart from Brighton away Burton haven't really been tonked this season, they have competed in all of their games and made it difficult even for the sides above us.

52 minutes ago, Wednesday_Jack said:

I would agree...we look very suspect with Sasso and Loovens as a pairing!! Hutch has to drop back in there and we have to give Jones a run of games to find some form. Jones was decent last night and with a run of games he would find the match sharpness that people seem to pick him up on.

Burton were always going to play the way they did, anyone who thought other wise is daft. We played decent against a team that all said and done came to  make it hard and spoil the game. I think i am right in saying that apart from Brighton away Burton haven't really been tonked this season, they have competed in all of their games and made it difficult even for the sides above us.

Yes agree, as I said earlier in the thread, I'm not too disheartened with the performance, and we have to give a bit of credit to Burton here. I too, thought Jones had a steady game last night, using his positional sense to break things up, rather than crunching tackles.

Ref was poor last night. Allowed them to take any momentum out of the game. 4 minutes added on at the end was a joke when 5 subs had been made plus all the time wasting.

They had just 6 fouls given against them all night which for a team who so called battled and scrapped for a point just doesn't seem right.

Burton were as we expected, defensive and time wasting. However I thought we played ok, nice and positive, played out from the back and switched the ball from side to side with purpose, trying to create space. 

But for a great strike by them and an awful ref, way too whistle happy and complicit in allowing time wasting, could have easily won.