Lot of love for Wednesday from Man Utd fans

Guest mrbluesky
5 minutes ago, HOOTIE AND THE bobbar TU said:

Was that the 'Dambusters' game?

When the Unitedites were pulling Wednesdayites out of cars?

Yep, we crept out and ended up in Moss side, went to a pub just outside the estate  and we were talking to Manure fans and they said they'd have kicked poo out of us if they hadn't realised what we were actually doing/singing! 

They were actually decent and had a few drinks with them, the only unnerving  thing was one of them kept saying "yooo's boys are very lucky" 

:picnic:

A lot of teams up there would prefer the likes of us compared with the Bournemouths of this world. I get the idea it's to visit traditional stadiums with a bit of atmosphere and have well followed, lively fans back.

I think it also depends on where teams are when you grow up, which is why a few are picking Wimbledon and Coventry. With this I always think of Hull, Swansea and Wigan as 3rd division teams.

56 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

That time we got locked in after the game whilst their fans congregated outside kicking the hell out of the shutters/gates

Then they let us out right into the middle of them all

CARNAGE 

yeah, didnt feel much love from em that night lol

Guest Copthorneowl

Remember really well in my early years as a supporter when we were a PROPER big team in1961 (we were runners up to Tottenham around that time and nobody came to Hillsborough expecting to compete). We played Man U at Old Trafford and they had  new young goalkeeper called Biggs or Briggs anyway think it was his debut he had a nightmare we won 7-2 hard to believe I know but true.

Edited by Copthorneowl
Spelling error

20 hours ago, mrbluesky said:

Yep, we crept out and ended up in Moss side, went to a pub just outside the estate  and we were talking to Manure fans and they said they'd have kicked poo out of us if they hadn't realised what we were actually doing/singing! 

They were actually decent and had a few drinks with them, the only unnerving  thing was one of them kept saying "yooo's boys are very lucky" 

:picnic:

Got chased through a multi storey car park that night..f.ookin' chaos....our car wasn't even parked in the bloody place...pandemonium....worst case of misinterpretation ever.....

20 hours ago, @owlstalk said:

That time we got locked in after the game whilst their fans congregated outside kicking the hell out of the shutters/gates

Then they let us out right into the middle of them all

CARNAGE 

Went home and got laid for the first time, happy days.

All time favourite game 4:4 v them at Hillsboro. They were peeing the league under Tommy Doc with Gordon Hill and Steve Coppell and we were fairly poo . Hillsborough was so depopulated in those days to see it nearly full was amazing. The match had everything - great goals including a Colin Harvey screamer - crowd trouble - poor old Jim Holton breaking a leg - all left its mark on my soul - the kind of mad exhilaration you only have as a youngster.

Never been able to dislike them since then and I suppose it's partly cos I remember when they were crap with people like John Fitzpatrick replacing gods like Bobby Charlton as the Busby Era ended.

One point to make about their fans - well maybe two. First, I used to live there and whenever I went with mates etc they would always cut youngsters lots of slack. At the time we'd just packed Chris Morris off to Celtic and I remember thinking we could be a bit more patient.

Second, not too long after, Sky tried to take them over and the fans were part of the reason that Murdoch backed down. God knows what the PL would have looked like if that had happened - it probably would have been compulsory for them to win it. 

Yes - I hate the media fawning but that goes with the territory and (I think) started with Munich and just

carried on. 

26 minutes ago, lanzaroteowl said:

Felt even less in the return fixture the following week.

I remember a Man U fan trying to get into the Park pub with his face smashed in after getting knocked all over the car park

How desperate must he have been? Trying to get INTO the Park Hotel wearing a Man U shirt.