Lot of love for Wednesday from Man Utd fans

I disliked Man Utd until I started getting taken there several times a season (for free) a few years ago - I was there only last week to see them play Watford.

When I'm there, I want them to win and get very caught up in the game.   Obviously, Wednesday were playing them I'd want us to stuff Man Utd by as many goals as possible.

I'm going to be at the League Cup Final next week - last one of those I attended involved Man Utd 26 years ago, of course...

1 hour ago, Helen Waddle said:

At Old Trafford, one thing that makes me wryly amused is to hear about 1000 away supporters sing "We support our local team" - in a crowd of over 75,000, of whom at least 50,000 are definitely from Greater Manchester.

Greater Manchester takes in Bolton, Bury, Rochdale, Wigan, Stockport, Tameside & Oldham - quite a few local teams! 

Manchester, Trafford and Salford a different matter altogether.

Just now, GMOwl72 said:

Greater Manchester takes in Bolton, Bury, Rochdale, Wigan, Stockport, Tameside & Oldham - quite a few local teams! 

Manchester, Trafford and Salford a different matter altogether.

I'm a Wednesday fan, born and raised in Derbyshire - not sure what your point is.

You are suggesting away fans at Old Trafford take the pis s with the chant re supporting your local team. You say it makes you 'wryly amusd' as over 50,000 actually do but seem to suggest that being from Gtr Manchester their local team is United when in fact there are many, many local teams for these supporters to follow  - Bolton, Bury, Wigan, Rochdale, Oldham - all boroughs of Gtr Manchester and who have a team that are in the shadow of Utd but desperately need local support.

3 minutes ago, GMOwl72 said:

You are suggesting away fans at Old Trafford take the pis s with the chant re supporting your local team. You say it makes you 'wryly amusd' as over 50,000 actually do but seem to suggest that being from Gtr Manchester their local team is United when in fact there are many, many local teams for these supporters to follow  - Bolton, Bury, Wigan, Rochdale, Oldham - all boroughs of Gtr Manchester and who have a team that are in the shadow of Utd but desperately need local support.

Here's the thing - I said "Greater Manchester", but I don't actually know the postcodes of these 50,000+ people.  I'm sure we have a lot of Wednesday fans whose nearest team is the Blunts - should they be supporting them?

The "we support our local team" song is aimed at the many fans Man United have who come from nowhere near Manchester.  MY point is that United have thousands more fans who DO support THEIR local team than any other.

Edited by Helen Waddle

1 hour ago, steveger said:

Remember seeing us beat them 2.0 at Old Trafford live on the teli,(1986) my first game at S6 was against them, won 1.0 Lee Chapman, (nov 1985)

Epic match , 50k in Hillsborough give or take and Them unbeaten top of the league , we were third and not given a chance. I still see Chapmans header to this day, sticks in the memory along with Mark Proctors vs Everton 

1 hour ago, Animal said:

Yeh well can't stand Liverpool with a passion so just made Man Utd my second team

Don't worry mine are Spurs saw them in the 81 cup final on Tv , loved the name and their exotic players from Argentina I was only 8 so didn't know better lol

I still like to watch them play on tv and like us they manage to underachieve only they do it better managing to come third in a two horse race . 

I don't mind United and never understood when people moaned and complained about them buying the title in the 90's.

No, they had a world class manager, a great history, huge support and a board of directors who knew how to run a football club.