Adam Reach

Such a split down the middle in this thread about whether tonights performance by Reach was any good or not,

i guess its what you look for/like in a player.

IMO tonight was one of his better games, not because of what he did with the ball, that wasnt great and is probably where the criticism comes from. But as a runner, did any other Wednesday player carry the ball more yards up the pitch than AR? doubtful. and thats important away from home, relieves so much pressure. is it any coincidence that the ball kept coming back once he switched to LB?

He may be a poor mans Antonio, and at times more akin to Jezza Helan, but we aint got many of this type player, 

not great end product from him so far but without him tonight its doubtful we'd have won.

1 minute ago, robswfc said:

Like him, but needs to play left wing back. Not enough quality on the ball under pressure in the attacking areas. Doesn't want to take his man on.

Yep has something for sure, but for some reason he is undroppable at the moment and is keeping FF out of the position he should be playing. I agree that he should be left back - I think he has the attributes to make a very good one.

I see Adam Reach playing left back in a 4-3-3. It suits him down to the ground as the full backs will be encouraged to attack and provide the width. 

Reach has good fitness and the one positive you can say about him is that he does put a good shift in.

He is really struggling in left midfield and I think he has been burdened by the hefty transfer fee.  Playing attacking left back might release some pressure and I also think he will be able to run into space.

11 hours ago, davetherivelinowl said:

I got a lot of stick on here for slagging him off but since then I've rather warmed to him. He had a good game at Brighton and has been fine since. I like his energy, his willingness; he doesn't do anything outstanding but is an important cog in the system - starting to be a bit like Kieran Lee in that respect. If he gave the ball away sometimes then SO DID EVERYONE ELSE in midfield, especially Jones. Leave him alone.

You can't justify having slagged him off in the past yourself, and then now tell everyone else to leave him alone. 

He gets up and down and gets through a lot of leg work.

Players bring different attributes. 

Because he's classed as a wide midfield player and he cost X million we just pressume that he has to be a 'proper winger' - mesmerising full backs and putting in 10/15 World Class crosses a game.

Well....The thing is chaps. There are different sorts of players. They don't all fit a stereotype attached to their position. 

They've seen something in him they liked and decided he was the sort of player they were after. Probably it was because he gets up and down and runs about about lot and this season were doing thing differently. 

Nigel Worthington was a very different wide man to Chris Waddle.

Does that mean he was poo ?

No. Just different with different attributes. 

Think its time for folks to stop using his price tag as a weapon to hang a young lad with because he doesn't fit their own personal ideal of a 'wideman'.

Edited by Lord Snooty
autospell

I think id rather have ff out left. Which then begs the question where do we fit reach in.

For me I'm starting to think this is what's unbalancing the side. As we are trying to to play both. 

For me fessi/reach left. If we have to try to accommodate both then reach must go on the right. Fessi on the left. And Wallace misses out.

Then two proper strikers up top.

Edited by Maddogbob

11 hours ago, zzmdu said:

He's had 6 months now, and he looks like a 250k lower half championship player.

Weak, no pace, can't run, can't tackle  gives the ball away.

Those criticisms apply more to Wallace than to Reach. Latter has obvious talent and is fully committed each game he plays - I like him!

7 minutes ago, Maddogbob said:

I think id rather have ff out left. Which then begs the question where do we fit reach in.

For me I'm starting to think this is what's unbalancing the side. As we are trying to to play both. 

For me fessi/reach left. If we have to try to accommodate both then reach must go on the right. Fessi on the left. And Wallace misses out.

Then two proper strikers up top.

I think Reach was definitely signed with us having a workmanlike 4 man midfield in place this season in mind. 

Don't think Fess will ever play left unless it's the left of a front 3 or left of of a midfield 5. 

12 hours ago, Sultan_Pepper said:

Nope. I just watch football with an open mind instead of making my mind up based on a price tag and some bizarre level of expectation.

He's a consistent player who covers half the pitch for us.

Left side of midfield, covering his full back and he's the player that makes the diagonal run to the right wing for the long ball to the channel. Got us the goal at Bristol doing exactly that and made the same run tonight that started the series of corners we got.

We didn't have one cross come in from our left side today despite you all hating Pudil too so they must be doing something right

I get it, a lot of you don't like the less flashy style of Reach and Wallace on the wing but our quite outstanding defensive record has a lot to do with them, Wallace is starting to get in the goals and Reach is starting to show some good touches.

We're not playing well but he's a long long way from the bottom of the list and if people supported him instead of jeering every chance they get you might start to see one of our most promising players in years starting to develop.

I hope we start playing with a bit more flair and zip and the football gets a damn sight better but without Hooper linking play we've had what we've had and Reach has contributed well to our points total.

Love Ross Wallace

Adam Reach is a waste of a shirt

12 hours ago, Cheshowl said:

Just shows how people see football differently. He was woeful tonight, constantly giving the ball away and turning our attacks into nerve wracking break aways for Wigan. Runs into trouble constantly rather than playing an easy pass. Tries (and fails) complicated passes when the easy option is on. 

I know he got MOM but could say same thing about Bannan when he starts doing his pirouettes when an easy pass is on. Just pass the b*****d ball.

52 minutes ago, Lord Snooty said:

He gets up and down and gets through a lot of leg work.

Players bring different attributes. 

Because he's classed as a wide midfield player and he cost X million we just pressume that he has to be a 'proper winger' - mesmerising full backs and putting in 10/15 World Class crosses a game.

Well....The thing is chaps. There are different sorts of players. They don't all fit a stereotype attached to their position. 

They've seen something in him they liked and decided he was the sort of player they were after. Probably it was because he gets up and down and runs about about lot and this season were doing thing differently. 

Nigel Worthington was a very different wide man to Chris Waddle.

Does that mean he was poo ?

No. Just different with different attributes. 

Think its time for folks to stop using his price tag as a weapon to hang a young lad with because he doesn't fit their own personal ideal of a 'wideman'.

Great post snooty

Funny how every commentator who watches us play says how good he is. Some of you really don't know what you are watching with him. He has masses of potential and I guarantee will be a success here. And speaking of the now he doesn't even play bad, he's a steady performer. Loses the ball sometimes because he's the only player on the team that attempts to take people on atm.