Problem areas not addressed

48 minutes ago, flo said:

Full backs cross more than wingers in every team in football league. 

Thats true, but most teams don't employ two wingers. Brighton do, but use two combative midfielders to win the ball and get it out to the wide men

I get that we needed a centre back, but have any of you considered that there wasn't one available with enough quality at the right price? How much would it cost for us to sell Lees? £15m?  I'd guarantee that other clubs will have the same mentality and that could be why we've not managed to get someone in.

To me part of the problem is where to play FF , it seems he wants to be part of a front two however he's been most effective for us wide left cutting in. 

Trying to accommodate our most skilful player in a position he wants to play is making the entire team less effective. 

Personally i I would like us to try one game with Wallace on the left Mcmannaman on the right with Fletcher and Rhodes in the middle getting on the end of crosses , Hutch and Bannon in the middle. 

Have to disagree.  For me one if not the biggest problem area has been addressed.  You only have to look at some of the teams above us to see the importance of a goal scoring striker, Gayle, Murray, Woods et al.

Fletcher has just not scored enough goals (had Rhodes been up front v Newcastle for example he would have bagged a couple of goals).  Hooper is not fit or on form for long enough periods.  Forestieri is more of a number ten than a nine or cutting in from the left ideally as part of a 3 man attack.  Joao hasn't done it for us this season and poor old Dave just can't buy a goal.

I actually think centre half is one of our strongest positions; Lees and Loovens are a very strong partnership and If, say, Lees gets injured Hutchinson slots back in there and you could argue strengthens the position.  Then we have Sasso who is a decent fourth choice CB.  It would cost a small fortune to try and get someone better than those three and then you risk splitting up a solid, proven partnership or, spend pretty big money on someone who is likely to be fourth choice only (and we already have too many expensive players who do not really improve the 11). 

5 minutes ago, York_Owl said:

Have to disagree.  For me one if not the biggest problem area has been addressed.  You only have to look at some of the teams above us to see the importance of a goal scoring striker, Gayle, Murray, Woods et al.

Fletcher has just not scored enough goals (had Rhodes been up front v Newcastle for example he would have bagged a couple of goals).  Hooper is not fit or on form for long enough periods.  Forestieri is more of a number ten than a nine or cutting in from the left ideally as part of a 3 man attack.  Joao hasn't done it for us this season and poor old Dave just can't buy a goal.

I actually think centre half is one of our strongest positions; Lees and Loovens are a very strong partnership and If, say, Lees gets injured Hutchinson slots back in there and you could argue strengthens the position.  Then we have Sasso who is a decent fourth choice CB.  It would cost a small fortune to try and get someone better than those three and then you risk splitting up a solid, proven partnership or, spend pretty big money on someone who is likely to be fourth choice only (and we already have too many expensive players who do not really improve the 11). 

accept you points but I think that hutch covering CB weakens the midfield and we cant afford that as demonstrated earlier this season imo

Fletcher had a stop start beginning but does need better service  we are missing hooper no doubt Dave's given job appears to be that of a roving distraction for the opposition thus giving others space, can think of no other reason to play him 

Fair point steel but such is Hutchinson's quality his loss is always going to weaken the team.  The other central midfielders Jones, Bannan and Abdi really need to need to step up their game in his (and Lee's) absence.  Plus there is always the option of playing a three man central midfield if we want to strengthen that area when Hutch is not playing there but, Carlos seems reluctant to try a different formation.

We have an excellent squad. It's now up to CC to get the very best out of it. I'll counter that by saying that if the Lees/Loovens partnership is split by injury/suspension and whenever Hutch is missing we look more fragile defensively. This may still be the case even if we'd invested in 'better' cover than Sasso though as top centre back pairings are seldom born overnight. Hutch is unique and we'd have to invest an awful lot to get a replacement of his stature. Jones seems a reasonable understudy though.

We have creative talent in McGugan and Abdi (one assumes) unemployed/underemployed. Carlos feels that Bannan and an element of square pegs in round holes is a better option. I hope he is proved right. Even if we persist with our safety first approach we now have a striker more likely to capitalise on what few chances we do create. We have the tools now to push on. No excuses.

Edited by Dagmeister

We have definitely improved our chances with Rhodes but I think we do need another CB,CM and RB.

But we'll probably get those in the summer.

If we didn't go up this year id not be too disappointed because I really think next season is the one where we will go up in style.

12 minutes ago, Eightace said:

We have definitely improved our chances with Rhodes but I think we do need another CB,CM and RB.

But we'll probably get those in the summer.

If we didn't go up this year id not be too disappointed because I really think next season is the one where we will go up in style.

Yes, provided Leeds don't go up I agree.

7 hours ago, Dronfield_SWFC said:

We have the player Abdi just Carlos wont play him

Blimey not again, he picked up an injury after signing and has been struggling ever since.

Do you not recall CC sent him for another mini preseason. A fit Abdi will be in contention, nowt to do 

with CC wont play him.

Guest RocketOwl

Don't worry about centre back positions.

According to many on here Sasso is the next Bobby Moore.

Hutchinson can also cover, which is fine as we don't need him in the centre of midfield. His return to CM didnt change our results or anything.

So we are fine at CB.

I think if loovens and lee both got injured we'd probably play pudil and hutch there before sasso long term, cc has mentioned he can play there and given his struggles this season at lb and the fact that fox and reach are both decent enough at left back we have enough for this season with sasso in the mix and semedo if desperation strikes. Its not ideal though and It needs to be addressed at the end of the season assuming we dont go up.

Cant complain with rhodes though the club probably just felt the opportunity to sign a player the club know well who also wanted to be here was too good to turn down. Long term I think winnall will be the mistake it wont be long before hes behind rhodes, hooper and fletcher which is harsh on the lad but hes not quite in their class.  The money would have been better spent on the right back that villa signed from barnsley

Problem area has been addressed and then some.  Other thank Bristol other night defense has been rock solid.  

Ever since hooper's injury we have sorely missed the out and out goal scorer, lost count at amex and  Newcastle away, of times played some good balls in and no-one was busting a gut to run into right areas.

Fletcher does a job but has never been prolific, Forrestieri is not an out and out striker.  

The full backs / wingers  now know if they put ball in right areas more often than not Rhodes will be on end of them.  

Edited by wellbeaten-the-owl