Fans Sense of Self-Entitlement

What I do know is I paid north of 500 quid for my ST and the football served up has been pretty poor. Not a patch on last season. That's why people are frustrated - because last season was so enjoyable - and not just because we'd been poo for years, the football was good full stop. Despite spending a bit of cash we seem to have gone backwards performance wise.

Entitlement?

No other club with our fan base has had so little success over the past 20 years. Its no surprise that fans genuinely thought that we were on our way. At last.

Its the frustration that we might not be that is creating the current negatively in some pockets of the fan base.

I think even if it was £5 each game to get in a small minority of fans would find something to moan about.

But there is a feeling amongst myself and people I talk to that for what we are paying the entertainment levels have been poor this season. Seem to play a slow tempo continental type game that I find dull. Was brought up on all action, crosses and flying tackles of a British type game which might not have been technically as good as a European type style but was more enjoyable to watch. Although I concede I may be looking back slightly with rose tinted spectacles as I am sure many British type games were not brilliant I have watched.

21 minutes ago, Pacifier said:

Isnt an anti-fan thread. 

Never said it did. 

There are some valid observations being made by a number of fans.

These observations are factual rather than part of some kind of agenda.

Also I would say it is more about the football we are playing relative to what we were playing last season that is causing people to speak up.

We have spent a lot and it hasn't improved us.....yet.

9 minutes ago, Beholder said:

There are some valid observations being made by a number of fans.

These observations are factual rather than part of some kind of agenda.

Also I would say it is more about the football we are playing relative to what we were playing last season that is causing people to speak up.

We have spent a lot and it hasn't improved us.....yet.

Could we be playing better? Probably yes.

But, the amount of threads for Carlos out, sell this player, get rid of this player blah blah has been pathetic as of recent. Fan's saying were underachieving etc, we're 6th in the league and have been in or around the play offs comfortably for a while, where do people think we realistically should be? No team has 10/10 performances all season.

I know some go over the top, and for the purposes of this thread we should ignore them.

But you've got to be extremely short sighted and naive to question where a higher sense of entitlement - if that's what you want to call it, I prefer ambition - has come from.

As fans we are personally paying out significant sums of money to back a project be it weekly or annually, home and away. 

As a club, we've paid out big money - vast sums compared to what we're used to - on players with an expectation that we make progress. 

And what's the outcome so far? We're playing worse than last year and the quality of football is lower. That much is surely beyond question. A side we beat in last years play-offs, Brighton, is top of the league at the moment and looks a million miles away from us. We were 90 minutes away from the Premier League last season and yet we've allowed Leeds, Reading and Huddersfield to steal a march on us while we look over our shoulders at Villa and Derby - two sides who will probably fancy it more than us right now despite currently occupying 6th spot. Some of the highest earners at the football club are players who don't even make the bench or appear anywhere near the first team. Players who cost us as much as £4m - again, no small outlay even in todays market for second division football - are bit part's who the manager either can't or wont find a place for in a system nobody really thinks is working.

Right now the club is failing to meet the standards it has set itself. Fans are frustrated but that hasn't just come from nowhere.

Prior to this season, I wouldn't have said the word 'entitlement' had a place in any Wednesdayite's vocabulary

It was something we'd associate with the attitudes of those who chose to follow ManU or Liverpool or whoever offered the best chance of an instant glory fix

You all know what I'm on about

ManU fans are like rats, you're never more than about 30ft from one at any one time

They talk about winning games and trophies like it's their god-given right

They pay the highest fees & highest wages for the best players in the world because that's what they do. That's what defines them

That's also why everyone else loves to pour scorn on them every time they screw up

Nowadays though, the PL & TV & sponsorship has enabled others to join in on (more or less) equal terms. Or at least, those who set their sights on the CL, UEFA's exclusive gravy train

The trouble for everyone else (throughout football's 'pyramid') comes with the way all these astronomical amounts of cash get spent

It's nearly all going on wages and agents' fees, shareholders and executive salaries

Not much of it makes matchday more accessible to your average long-suffering supporter

BUT ...

Any club with ambition needs to get where the prizes are - especially a club our size with our tradition, history and fan base

Trouble is, those who already HAVE IT are determined to pull up the drawbridge in order to keep it and FFP is just another obstacle created to help them achieve just that

If Mr C is serious about returning Wednesday to the top flight (and few could argue against that) then there's a mad scramble going on that's likely to involve at least 6-8 clubs every year - some will always be in a better financial position to succeed than others

He'll need to back his manager by securing the best talent available and by paying wages that are competitive with the top end of the Championship whilst remaining within the strict constraints of FFP

In some ways his hands are tied, but he'll have lawyers and accountants advising him of the best, most expedient ways of achieving his targets

And as he has openly explained to us, generating as much income as possible is essential and that starts with gate receipts

(It also makes sense that if you pay players League 1 wages and charge League 1 admission prices then you'd best get used to League 1)

So in order to back these efforts to re-establish our club in the top flight, we're being asked to pay more than ever before for tickets

I don't see these price hikes coming with any guarantees - or that tickets are bought on condition that promotion is assured come May

We're being encouraged to do our bit, and that's all we've ever done

I'd also say most fans of the sport acknowledge football as a game played by two teams in a division that enables them to compete at (give or take) the same level

Results can never be taken for granted, entertainment even less so, as both can depend heavily on the approach of the opposition

But to claim admission prices justify expectation when it comes to performance and results does smack of entitlement in my opinion

Is there anything wrong with wanting better, we can clearly see the team are not playing to the same level as last year and we have been very fortunate in the last few games. For me it's not a sense of entitlement but more wanting the team to improve, I thought the recruitment we did was good and I thought we'd be even better this year. Something is not quite right though. 

Delusional - over used and often wrongly used.

We're a shadow of the team of last season in terms of aggressive attacking football that Chansiri and Carlos promised us at the start of last season. Football at Hillsborough has not been entertaining this season and we've never payed prices close to this for being, a bit bored and frustrated, if I'm honest. For spending £10m in the summer we're actually not much better off and in fact many, including me, think we've really wasted an opportunity to improve. £49 to watch Hudders with my lad on saturday! I genuinely don't think it's going to be much fun/entertaining. Big ? about going for me.

Self entitled/Delusional no - dissapointed, frustrated, bored, worried - better!

14 hours ago, Highbury Owl said:

How many of those 5 games have we honestly played well in?

At the end of the season will it show how well we played or how many points we have got ? I'll take averaging two points a game cos' it will mean we are up there

I agree there are some swfc fans who do believe we should be walking all over teams...the amount of times I heard we should get 3 points against preston away..Ipswich and reading to name but a few as they were supposedly "tinpot".Look at it this way there are 24 teams trying to get into the promised land of the premier league and we currently sitting in 6th place and despite the recent poor performances we are exactly where we deserve to be because of the amout of points we accrued in the season so far which we were good enough to take.So instead of thinking we are entitled to walk over teams let's get behind the lads and help them over the line..

2 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

I know some go over the top, and for the purposes of this thread we should ignore them.

But you've got to be extremely short sighted and naive to question where a higher sense of entitlement - if that's what you want to call it, I prefer ambition - has come from.

As fans we are personally paying out significant sums of money to back a project be it weekly or annually, home and away. 

As a club, we've paid out big money - vast sums compared to what we're used to - on players with an expectation that we make progress. 

And what's the outcome so far? We're playing worse than last year and the quality of football is lower. That much is surely beyond question. A side we beat in last years play-offs, Brighton, is top of the league at the moment and looks a million miles away from us. We were 90 minutes away from the Premier League last season and yet we've allowed Leeds, Reading and Huddersfield to steal a march on us while we look over our shoulders at Villa and Derby - two sides who will probably fancy it more than us right now despite currently occupying 6th spot. Some of the highest earners at the football club are players who don't even make the bench or appear anywhere near the first team. Players who cost us as much as £4m - again, no small outlay even in todays market for second division football - are bit part's who the manager either can't or wont find a place for in a system nobody really thinks is working.

Right now the club is failing to meet the standards it has set itself. Fans are frustrated but that hasn't just come from nowhere.

Great post 

re  sheffield_dave's post above

'Form' hasn't reached the standards set last year. You're right, but please don't deny there are circumstances to be take into consideration

Brighton, the team we beat in last season's play-offs. actually finished 15pts ahead of us

That they're now replicating last season's league form shouldn't detract from the fact that poor form aside, we've currently accrued more points and sit higher in the league than at this time last year

If L**ds, Reading or Huddersfield finish above us in the table then (as much as it would hurt) credit would be due to them for doing so

Similarly Villa and Derby (and Norwich?) who probably all started the season with equally high hopes of promotion

How much players earn is open to speculation and that's all, so to an extent are the fees being paid

Carlos will make his selections based on availability, form and fitness. The onus then being on the players to seize each opportunity

The fans are frustrated, right enough. Too many similar threads on here to deny that

But progress IS being made, perhaps not as marked as we'd all hope, but the quality within the squad, our points tally and our current position have improved over 12months

I'd always maintain that the only reasonable expectation is that we set our targets high and remain competitive throughout the season

The hope is that we can exceed expectation