Official January Transfer Window Thread

On 17/12/2016 at 07:25, gurujuan said:

Does Carlos actually know what we need? Of course he'll have a much better idea then any of us, but I wonder if he is absolutely clear on what he needs, if anything, to make this click. What I mean is, last season Brighton missed out in the play offs, but were nearer an automatic place than us. They looked at what they needed to elevate them up to genuine contenders for an automatic place, and went out brought in those missing pieces. I think they brought in four players, totalling about £5m. 

We on the other hand, spent more than double that on nine players, none of whom have proven they can take us to the next level. There's no doubt that the players signed, have given us extra strength in depth, but although Flecher, Reach, and to a lesser extent, Jones, have all done OK, they haven't yet dramatically improved us. Can we say, OK, we know what's needed, let's go and get those couple of players needed to get us going? Just reading on here, shows the problem, with different opinions .coming in from the fans as to what is needed. Pretty much, every position bar goalkeeper has been suggested.

Maybe we won't do any business, maybe Carlos really does already have what we need. Certainly, I'd rather him work with what we have, to find the right formula, than to bring in another raft of players who just duplicate what we have.

Going up to the next level isn't easy with the parachute clubs in competition. Certainly not if you're trying to do it the attractive way. So I don't think you try. You do what 'Boro did and be pragmatic. So that means defence first and foremost, and a hard man in front of them. I've never factored Hutch into the equation because of his injuries, so for me we needed a top CB and an aggressive midfielder. That takes the pressure off Hutch and as a result he'd probably end up playing more regularly. As for creativity in midfield, well Abdi - on paper - is an upgrade on Bannan. He's 6 inches taller and three stones heavier, and that matters (ask Monk). You've got to have some beef in this division, and you can't always move the ball as quickly as Carlos would like against the likes of Leeds.

On 17/12/2016 at 12:53, StudentOwl said:

Bang on

I've said since pre-season that Sam should be our first choice CB next to Lees, but only if we can bring in a defensive midfielder. Jones is certainly more holding in the midfield than say Lee or Bannan, but he still isn't aggressive. Sure he can sit and intercept, but his game certainly isn't about snapping at the opposition and being a physical presence. We either need to sign a Hutch/Barton type in the midfield, or we need to sign a (probably tall) CB in January

James Tarkowski isn't getting much game time at Burnley :ph34r:

The problem is finding a quality CB or CDM content with being understudy to Loovens or Hutch. Unless we are buying someone to come in immediately as first choice, which means what, £4m, to find someone better than either?

Jones got two promotions. Surely he is really excellent cover for Hutch. And there will be several games, particularly if team confidence improves, where we don't even need a CDM.

Cover for Loovens is a bigger issue. Clearly, it's Hutch, then Sasso as needs must. 

Loovens and Lees - with Hutch and Sasso next in line

Hutch - with Jones and no CDM next in line

That's pretty good.

Guest wilyfox
9 minutes ago, Plonk said:

See boro are apparently after gestadt from villa. Will that be cover for Rhodes?

I reckon Boro and Villa may broker a swap deal involving the pair, squeezing us out of any possible loan deal for Rhodes. 

Guest wilyfox
5 minutes ago, yeadonowl said:

Bruce has said on more than one occasion he doesn't want any

more forwards and that he needs to sell one. He is desperate for midfielders and has been linked with Schlup at Leicester.

Also would have thought of he is after a forward he would go for Hernandez at Hull

He might say that, but like ourselves Villa aren't scoring enough. Don't be surprised if they dabble in the forward department. McCormack hasn't justified his fee there yet. 

Guest wilyfox
9 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Was he ever going to? lol

Did at Fulham. Obscene money, but he delivered. Perhaps not the right fit at Villa.

Just now, wilyfox said:

Did at Fulham. Obscene money, but he delivered. Perhaps not the right fit at Villa.

I don't know, when a Championship club has the audacity to believe that spending a relatively large transfer fee on a 30 year old on huge wages for the Championship is a smart idea. It's worthy of teasing when it backfires and you're left with an underperforming, aging player crippling your wage structure and I have no sympathy for clubs that do that

_90552843_gettyimages-576689418.jpg

Oh... 

Guest wilyfox
6 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

I don't know, when a Championship club has the audacity to believe that spending a relatively large transfer fee on a 30 year old on huge wages for the Championship is a smart idea. It's worthy of teasing when it backfires and you're left with an underperforming, aging player crippling your wage structure and I have no sympathy for clubs that do that

_90552843_gettyimages-576689418.jpg

Oh... 

Touché! 

We ended our summer recruitment with me feeling, we should have added a left sided centre back, a defensive midfielder, and perhaps adding some pace to the side. However, that didn't appear to be Carlos's thinking, so rather than having even more players sat around clicking their heels, I'm happy to let the coach try and find the right formula from the players he already has. 

He says, he doesn't need another centre back, and that he is quite happy with the forwards he has at his disposal. Carlos also said, the side doesn't need to have a defensive midfielder, although does Hutchinson's move back to that area, indicate a change of heart. Surely by now the manager must be clear on how he wants to play, and with nearly 30 players brought in, he has enough options. Let's not bloat the squad still further.

2 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

We still rely on Forestieri way too much. We could do with another match winner in January. And we definitely need another CB.

Plenty of these type of players in South America. Only probs is the price and Work Permits.

2 hours ago, IstillhateSteveBould said:

We still rely on Forestieri way too much. We could do with another match winner in January. And we definitely need another CB.

Andrija Zivkovic.

Not getting a sniff at Benfica and more than capable of creating something out of nothing. Loan til end of season would be perfect

37 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Andrija Zivkovic.

Not getting a sniff at Benfica and more than capable of creating something out of nothing. Loan til end of season would be perfect

Maybe that is how Carlos is thinking. We've watched Benfica many times, including their last three games. Personally, I'd have thought anyone currently playing in Benfica's side, would be beyond us. If it's fringe players we're interested in, why then watch the games when those players aren't involved

Edited by gurujuan

It is rare that players come in from abroad and settle in mid season to find their best form. Especially when we'd be demanding a lot from them. I guess Brighton managed it with Jiri Skalak I believe? I guess it can work and would of course be cheaper than the UK market which will be doubly inflated in comparison to the summer.