Official January Transfer Window Thread

22 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

Got to be out of our league! but definitely the kind of player we need on the right side of midfield. 

I said the same thing in summer... but he's only managed a total of six minutes of game time since joining them in June and with his Portuguese connections and the promise of only a half season loan with regular game time... maybe Carlos can twist some arms? I think there would be question marks over Zivkovic's ability to adapt to the physical side of the Championship for sure, but he would be one of the most technically proficient in the league at least. I view him as a left footed Forestieri, which is pretty much exactly what we need... someone that can create chances out of very little. Whether he'd have the work rate to play in a 4-4-2 if Carlos so wishes to persist with it again, I'd question... but him on the right and Forestieri on the left of a 4-3-3? Mouthwatering

For sure though, I agree with IstillhateSteveBould... there's too much reliance on Forestieri. Whether we try and shift that burden from him by bringing in another creative type that sits slightly deeper, or by bringing in another out-and-out goalscorer we shall see. But I think there's something to be said by looking to try and bring in the former in the shape of a player similar To Drenthe, Zivkovic, Knockaert etc rather than just trying to get another goalscorer like Hooper and thinking "well, job done"

Edited by StudentOwl

11 minutes ago, TheEnchanter said:

It is rare that players come in from abroad and settle in mid season to find their best form. Especially when we'd be demanding a lot from them. I guess Brighton managed it with Jiri Skalak I believe? I guess it can work and would of course be cheaper than the UK market which will be doubly inflated in comparison to the summer.

Depends if we buy them or get them in on Loan:manager:.

Guest wilyfox
2 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Aston Villa’s Rudy Gestede has emerged as a £7m target for West Bromwich Albion with Villa rumoured to be making a move for Scott Hogan

That's where the smart money goes, for me. Has shown his knee injuries are behind him. Quick, direct, can finish, excellent goal return, and of a good age. 

Guest wilyfox
49 minutes ago, gurujuan said:

Maybe that is how Carlos is thinking. We've watched Benfica many times, including their last three games. Personally, I'd have thought anyone currently playing in Benfica's side, would be beyond us. If it's fringe players we're interested in, why then watch the games when those players aren't involved

I just can't see it. Chansiri has been bitten by foreign signings. Joao, Matias, Sougou, Bus, Melo... I can't envisage him adding to those at such a crucial stage of the season. Our recruitment strategy favours experience in English football these days. 

7 minutes ago, Bloxwich Owl said:

Aston Villa’s Rudy Gestede has emerged as a £7m target for West Bromwich Albion with Villa rumoured to be making a move for Scott Hogan. 

3 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

That's where the smart money goes, for me. Has shown his knee injuries are behind him. Quick, direct, can finish, excellent goal return, and of a good age. 

This would be a shame. I'd bin off Joao, Abdi and a couple of others to compete with Villa over this fella. I wonder if Brentford would be tempted by a cash plus players for him rather than straight cash. It can't be too easy to tempt decent players to Brentford. It would raise the overall standard of their squad and give us what we require. #clutchingstraws

I live in hope more than expectation.......

1 minute ago, StudentOwl said:

Would he be a good fit here?

Or too much money for what he offers?

Definitely a good fit. He's always looking to get in behind. If you are Bannan, Jones, Lee and you look up and see this fella peeling off and offering a forward pass you are happy. If the defender covers it and leaves gaps, you're happy. He'll happily run the channels, if he gets in on goal he's quick direct and can finish. He is the sort of forward midfielders love.

I said if Joao had not significantly contributed by January then it was time to look elsewhere. He may well move on and do very well but we are in the here and now. I think Hogan has 14 so far this season. Take Fletchers 6 or Hoopers 5 away from that and distribute the extra 8-9 goals to our games. I think we'd be much nearer the top 2.

Guest wilyfox
15 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Would he be a good fit here?

Or too much money for what he offers?

I reckon. When FF is unavailable, we have no-one else providing his attributes in the final third. Only one way to find out though.. 

13 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Brentford will be looking for about 10m for Hogan. Next 

I will for forever and a day admire Brentford's recruitment policy

Scott Hogan from League 2

David Bentley from League 1

Harlee Dean on a free

Andre Gray from then Conference level Luton for £500k... two years later they're selling him for around £10million

Jake Bidwell to a certain extent for dirt cheap then sold for a couple of million

They know how to pick a player. Maybe we should hire their recruitment team, they clearly know how to spot a talent with limited resources

Maybe we should hire them and Peterborough's transfer team and combine them to form the ultimate frugal recruitment force lol 

Edited by StudentOwl

6 minutes ago, S_W_F_C said:

Brentford will be looking for about 10m for Hogan. Next 

1 minute ago, S_W_F_C said:

I'm also sure he has said he won't leave Brentford for another team in our league (villa maybe as they could pay big bucks)

What Brentford want and what Brentford get for a player out of contract in the summer are two entirely different things.

Unless one of the lower end PL teams come in for him (in which case he could be back in this league in August), his next best option is a team capable of getting promoted. I know he's appreciative of Brentford for sticking by him with his injuries, but Brentford will know he could go for nowt in the summer. If he has no greater ambition than to turn out for mid table Brentford then I apologise now, he's not the right player and let's look at other options.

Guest wilyfox
17 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

What Brentford want and what Brentford get for a player out of contract in the summer are two entirely different things.

Unless one of the lower end PL teams come in for him (in which case he could be back in this league in August), his next best option is a team capable of getting promoted. I know he's appreciative of Brentford for sticking by him with his injuries, but Brentford will know he could go for nowt in the summer. If he has no greater ambition than to turn out for mid table Brentford then I apologise now, he's not the right player and let's look at other options.

He isn't. Hogan signed an extension whilst injured.

Guest wilyfox
6 minutes ago, spike1867 said:

I stand corrected......still, not sure Brentford will get 10m for him.

If they didn't, I doubt the figure would be far off it when you consider the 8mil Vydra went to Derby for. Similar age, similar style. Add the British premium on Hogan's head..

7 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

If they didn't, I doubt the figure would be far off it when you consider the 8mil Vydra went to Derby for. Similar age, similar style. Add the British premium on Hogan's head..

I get what your saying mate but he's not completed his first full season at Championship level. Your right though, because he's British his price will be inflated. I mentioned him in the summer, just had a feeling he would continue where he left off.

Ah well.....half a league! Half a league! Half a league onward......