Official January Transfer Window Thread

Guest wilyfox
12 minutes ago, Rogers said:

When Hutch played centre back, most said he was great and it was his best position. 

Then he's been switched back to defensive midfield and everyone said this is his best position. We signed Jones to fill the midfield anchor position. 

Carlos can't win at times. At least he's seen we might miss that combative presence in midfield and changed it. 

Was never convinced Jones is that type of player. He's a playmaker like Bannan. His game is about vision and range of passing. He doesn't have Sam's bite. 

Hutch can play either position very well. A choice needed to be made. Carlos made it, but has now maybe realised the cost. If centre-half is the mutually agreed position for Sam, we need a Bradley Johnson/Jackson Irvine-type in the middle of the park. If Sam continues in his revised midfield role, then we need a new CB - despite what Carlos says. Loovens will break at some point, and Sasso falls short in my estimation. 

1 hour ago, wilyfox said:

What he needs is for some of his signings to find their feet and start making the contribution they were brought in to make. Joao and Matias...still waiting. Abdi...still waiting. Jones...can't hold down a place in the team. Those 4 need to be delivering a lot more than they are to date. 

My main concern over Carlos is recruitment, in terms of value for money. I feel his biggest mistake in the summer was Hutchinson's role: play him centre-half, we needed a new anchor-mid. Play him anchor-mid, we needed a new centre-half better than Sasso. At the moment, Sam is moving between. All it takes is one injury affecting those areas and we could be exposed. That was a mistake, in my opinion.

Agree with all that. Carlos needs to play players in their preferred position and then see where we are short. At this moment in time I can't see Matias and Melo making it. Abdi and Jones can't fit into the side. Wallace, Pudil and even Bannan are not quite on their game as yet too but we have a good squad. My main priority would be to get the dead wood out and sign a good young centre back who is comfortable on the ball.

Guest wilyfox
1 minute ago, elyowl1 said:

Agree with Wilyfox , we need a long term replacement for Loovens , Sasso is fine as a squad player but we need better as first choice and keep Hutch in midfield 

Carlos says we have Sasso, Pudil can play there, Semedo can play there, Melo also...but no-one can tell me he trusts them fully to do so. Chances are, a makeshift defence would cost us points. That is my issue with all these "squad players". If there's a drop in quality making Carlos reluctant to play them, what is their actual value to the club? We're carrying baggage; a number of players not good enough to help our cause without jeopardising results. 

3 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Carlos says we have Sasso, Pudil can play there, Semedo can play there, Melo also...but no-one can tell me he trusts them fully to do so. Chances are, a makeshift defence would cost us points. That is my issue with all these "squad players". If there's a drop in quality making Carlos reluctant to play them, what is their actual value to the club? We're carrying baggage; a number of players not good enough to help our cause without jeopardising results. 

I'm not sure we should be asking Melo to do more than he already has done. We don't want him to suffer from burn out.

13 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Pudil not the same player this year , Semedo great in the past not what's needed sadly he should have been released in the summer , Sasso I feel is a squad player can cover the odd match but not first choice material IMO , Melo we will never know he's joined a long list of permanently injured and he may never be the player he was previously. 

I still believe we should have gone for Tom  Smith in the summer. 

56 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Was never convinced Jones is that type of player. He's a playmaker like Bannan. His game is about vision and range of passing. He doesn't have Sam's bite. 

Hutch can play either position very well. A choice needed to be made. Carlos made it, but has now maybe realised the cost. If centre-half is the mutually agreed position for Sam, we need a Bradley Johnson/Jackson Irvine-type in the middle of the park. If Sam continues in his revised midfield role, then we need a new CB - despite what Carlos says. Loovens will break at some point, and Sasso falls short in my estimation. 

Bang on

I've said since pre-season that Sam should be our first choice CB next to Lees, but only if we can bring in a defensive midfielder. Jones is certainly more holding in the midfield than say Lee or Bannan, but he still isn't aggressive. Sure he can sit and intercept, but his game certainly isn't about snapping at the opposition and being a physical presence. We either need to sign a Hutch/Barton type in the midfield, or we need to sign a (probably tall) CB in January

James Tarkowski isn't getting much game time at Burnley :ph34r:

Guest wilyfox
4 minutes ago, StudentOwl said:

Bang on

I've said since pre-season that Sam should be our first choice CB next to Lees, but only if we can bring in a defensive midfielder. Jones is certainly more holding in the midfield than say Lee or Bannan, but he still isn't aggressive. Sure he can sit and intercept, but his game certainly isn't about snapping at the opposition and being a physical presence. We either need to sign a Hutch/Barton type in the midfield, or we need to sign a (probably tall) CB in January

James Tarkowski isn't getting much game time at Burnley :ph34r:

Isn't Tarkowski their understudy to Keane and Mee? I doubt he'd be available. He may not play much yet, but he probably makes their matchday squad most weeks. 

2 minutes ago, wilyfox said:

Isn't Tarkowski their understudy to Keane and Mee? I doubt he'd be available. He may not play much yet, but he probably makes their matchday squad most weeks. 

I didn't know you played for Burnley.. :ph34r:

if Van Dijk leaves Saints in January I would expect them to want someone like Keane as a replacement, so Tarkowski may be needed even more

6 minutes ago, Southie_Owl said:

I didn't know you played for Burnley.. :ph34r:

if Van Dijk leaves Saints in January I would expect them to want someone like Keane as a replacement, so Tarkowski may be needed even more

van Dijk has always been a bit of a D i c k! (wee pipe doesn't work so well in this context).

Edited by ChinaOwl

Guest Kagoshimaowl
4 hours ago, Arnold said:

I think we need a quick direct right sided midfielder 

We are saying the same thing.  I just used old school language.  I will say that you are right!!