Official January Transfer Window Thread

43 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Genuine question because I'm not sure of the answer - would people prefer Rhodes or Bamford? Middlesbrough have obviously plumped for Bamford, who has his up sides - younger and cheaper, but Rhodes has a longer track record.

Both championship quality strikers

40 minutes ago, Groundhopping Owl said:

Genuine question because I'm not sure of the answer - would people prefer Rhodes or Bamford? Middlesbrough have obviously plumped for Bamford, who has his up sides - younger and cheaper, but Rhodes has a longer track record.

Neither.

Bamford is all hype, no substance whatsoever, and I am amazed how much he has commanded in transfer fees. Thinks he is better than he actually is.

Rhodes, ( and I know I'm going to be shot down for this) although people chuck his goal scoring record about, doesn't do enough for me and I think he would struggle in our team in relation to tactics/pressing. He didn't exactly set the world alight when Boro signed him, and continues to struggle for game time. There will always be those who say he guarantees you goals, but all I would say is when I spoke to his old man away at Forest last year, Andy very clearly stated that we as a club would not be looking at bringing him in, in that offseason or in the foreseeable future.

Edited by kendoddsdadsdogsdead

Bamford is a weird one, I remember a midweek game against Derby at Hillsborough and Bamford scored the winner, one of the best goals I've ever seen. He looked like the next big thing when he was with Boro too but he hasn't half lost his way since then.

Think the deal is worth £6m, potentially going up to £10m in add ons.

2 hours ago, kendoddsdadsdogsdead said:

Neither.

Bamford is all hype, no substance whatsoever, and I am amazed how much he has commanded in transfer fees. Thinks he is better than he actually is.

Rhodes, ( and I know I'm going to be shot down for this) although people chuck his goal scoring record about, doesn't do enough for me and I think he would struggle in our team in relation to tactics/pressing. He didn't exactly set the world alight when Boro signed him, and continues to struggle for game time. There will always be those who say he guarantees you goals, but all I would say is when I spoke to his old man away at Forest last year, Andy very clearly stated that we as a club would not be looking at bringing him in, in that offseason or in the foreseeable future.

we'll see about Rhodes but someone with his record in this division was always going to cost someone a lot of money ....if villa just want someone to linger round the box and stick it in the net then they have the right man ....

2 hours ago, torryowl said:

we'll see about Rhodes but someone with his record in this division was always going to cost someone a lot of money ....if villa just want someone to linger round the box and stick it in the net then they have the right man ....

After signing Gestede and Bamford, the smoggies will want shut of Rhodes this window, and i think they are taking a big gamble demanding so much for him.  I can see him going on loan before the window shuts, but i cant see anyone paying Boro what they want for a permanent transfer. 

3 minutes ago, S36 OWL said:

seems they are doing a QPR and sticking two fingers up to FFP 

Well apparently they need to sell before they buy, or at least get people out the door on loan so they get wages off the bill, hence Gestade, Cissoko and the keeper they bought in the summer all either being sold or going on loan