Ready for Villa fans invasion?

I've always seen villa as a similar size club to us. An old fashioned historical club with similar values. Since we've been in the wilderness for many years I'd say they are considerably bigger then us nowadays. 

Reading some of theirs fans comments, their is a degree of ignorance knowing very little about the championship and I think they may well be in for a nasty reality check this season, again mirroring our relegation to some degree. 

i can't see it happening given the amount of money relegated clubs benefit from nowadays, but they do need to be careful and sort their mess out quickly as if not, they could quite easily become an us, Leeds etc. 

26 minutes ago, Manchester_Owl said:

Mate Villa are a huge club and up until recently were one of the biggest prem clubs.  They are bigger than Everton, Chelsea and Tottenham IMO.

They are certainly the biggest club in this division and yes that includes us, Leeds and Newcastle.

Think about the size of Birmingham, 2 million plus people and Villa are the main club in that region.

I also think we will beat them tomorrow but, don't be daft in thinking that are a nothing club because they were s*ite last season.

I agree that Villa are the biggest club in the Division, miles bigger and a way better club than the Barcodes but sorry your other statement I totally disagree with. Not that it matters it's all personal perception.

I've got a lot of time for Villa, they're a proper traditional club with some great fans and they have one of my favourite grounds in the UK, but Chelsea, Spurs and Everton for me are all definitely bigger clubs than Villa.

Ideally I'd like them to come up automatic with us but I think they are in for a shock this year and they will do well to finish top 6 and quickly turnaround the shambles of last season. There's a rotten stench hanging around that club at the moment, a losing mentality, no confidence, very little team spirit, and a number of players there that don't deserve to be at the club. They are the total opposite to us at the moment and I think man for man on paper we are stronger too. Their fans deserve much better but it's where they are at just now.

For me it's the ideal time to play them, they're still on a downer, we are flying high, we have a great squad and togetherness, we've played some great stuff in pre-season and going to Hillsborough will be one of if not the toughest away fixture they face this season. If they'd had a more comfortable start and built up a bit of confidence beating a few crap teams like Rotherham, Forest and Barnsley they would be a different animal. 

I think we will win and quite comfortably too. I'm super confident I've backed us to win and -1 too at the bookies.

30 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

I agree that Villa are the biggest club in the Division, miles bigger and a way better club than the Barcodes but sorry your other statement I totally disagree with. Not that it matters it's all personal perception.

I've got a lot of time for Villa, they're a proper traditional club with some great fans and they have one of my favourite grounds in the UK, but Chelsea, Spurs and Everton for me are all definitely bigger clubs than Villa.

Villa have won the European Cup, the league title 7 times, 7 FA cups and 5 League cups. 

Their honours is better than Chelsea, Spurs and Evertons. Their stadium is bigger than all those 3 clubs as well. Their catchment area is significantly bigger than than Everton's and they are the main team in that area.

They may not be as popular with the TV pundits as those other clubs but we personal know that has no reflection on the  actual size of the club. 

Villa for me are bigger than Chelsea, Spurs and Everton, they are just not as media popular as those clubs.

Happy to be corrected on any of the above.

Think it really is a crime that teams like Villa or Newcastle get relegated and just show what mismanagement from above can do to a club. All that money for all those years. These two clubs should be near the top of the premier not the bottom. But we are where we are so hopefully we can finish above them both.

24 minutes ago, Manchester_Owl said:

Villa have won the European Cup, the league title 7 times, 7 FA cups and 5 League cups. 

Their honours is better than Chelsea, Spurs and Evertons. Their stadium is bigger than all those 3 clubs as well. Their catchment area is significantly bigger than than Everton's and they are the main team in that area.

They may not be as popular with the TV pundits as those other clubs but we personal know that has no reflection on the  actual size of the club. 

Villa for me are bigger than Chelsea, Spurs and Everton, they are just not as media popular as those clubs.

Take Chelsea out and I agree, whatever anyone thinks of them they are now a huge club by any definition

Always liked Villa, decent fans, decent club

24 minutes ago, Manchester_Owl said:

Take Chelsea out and I agree, whatever anyone thinks of them they are now a huge club by any definition

Always liked Villa, decent fans, decent club

Leeds United are an unusual case when it comes to size of a club.

People talk about their history/ tradition and trophys won.

However their history only started in the early 60's.

Before 1960 they were a nothing club, with no honours and hardly any seasons spent in the top flight.

Huddersfield Town were the big club of West Yorkshire having won the titles in the 1920's.

However during the 1970's they became one of the greatest clubs of world football.

They timed their success perfectly as colour tv was introduced and football started being shown mainstream.

This perfect timing meant that LUFC gained an new army of glory hunting fans all around the country and even in Europe. That legacy still exists as LUFC still have large fans clubs throughout the UK and Europe.

Another factor is that Leeds is one club city with a MASSIVE population right on their doorstep.

So they do have bigger potential that SW, Villa and even Newcastle. 

In fact they have the potential to easily be in the top 5 biggest clubs in England.

Taking the above into account their current average gates of 22-23,000 is really poor (relatively of course).

Edited by sheffsteel

Yeah, i quite like Villa as well.

Still a beautiful ground. I work in Brum a lot & drive past it all the time. Is still kept in tip top condition, all the paintwork is immaculate and no sign of any neglect whatsoever. 

Also it is a genuine stadium, not one of the crappy bowls so much in evidence.

Brummies are generally ok as well.

I didn't particularly enjoy seeing Villa's total humiliation last year to be honest, although some of the players were a disgrace, but we've been there got the T shirt so can relate to it.

Have to say though i now think we are in a much better place than them as it stands at the moment.

They ARE a big club, easily the biggest club in the Championship.

Don't mind them and wish them well after Sunday.

Decent club and fans unlike the scruffs down the road at St Andrews who could easily be twinned with dem Blades.

Think they are in for a torrid start to the season if they have any complacency about this league.

It's good to be playing against the likes of Aston Villa again instead of Rushden and diamonds, Yeovil and Wycombe.

Not many English clubs could have maintained our attendances after 16 years of utter gash.

Villa are a big club but don't forget how big we're going to be again when we finally get it right.

5 hours ago, Manchester_Owl said:

6 of those 7 titles, and 5 of the 7 FA Cup wins were before the end of World War 1. The European Cup win was a big achievement and they are a huge club but for me they can't be mentioned in the same breath as any of the 3 clubs you mentioned.