What were FA cup games like before the PL?

I remember those Everton games so clearly, like they were yesterday instead of nearly 30 years ago.

They were the best team in the country at the time, and I remember in the first game at Goodison being in awe of the football they played, I'd never seen close passing like it before - I thought "we are going to get hammered here"

We didn't though, we just hung in. I remember in one of the games being 1 down with 10 to go, and Mark Chamberlain coming on and changing the game for us.

Joicey hat - trick at Villa Park , 2nd replay   .......... ........... can only find this one of the first match

I was thinking Joicey but didnt recall the hat trick

Willie Henderson eh......a sort of saviour at the time.....the comments at the end are a bit bleak

Southampton early eighties 40k plus. I think this was one of the first ever live games, if memory serves. 0-0 thrashed in the replay.

Made a banner from an old sheet and some branches from the apple tree up the garden. It was confiscated by SYP as the branches could have been used as a weapon. I was trying to get into the Kop. Steve Backley wouldn't have reached the Southampton fans.

Coventry same season, I think. Game postponed from the Saturday to mid-week due to snow? Ended up in the upper West with around 50 other Owls and a couple of thousand travelling supporters. It was interesting for a fourteen year old to be in the middle of a bit of bother. Total mis-judgement on my account. Just followed some lads in.

Most goals Feb 1st 1961 FA Cup 4th rnd replay Old Trafford  65,243 Hundreds locked out won 7-2.

Most memorable as outsiders for a tie discounting semi and final ties. Leeds were to be crowned champions so more in hope than expectation 52K + at Hillsborough for a 1-1 draw. So off to Elland Rd where we were about 9/2 to prosper. It was known as the Brian Woodhall game, Though in Reality Peter Eustace was the gaffer on the night and we hammered Leeds out of sight by 3-1 in front of 48K baying Leeds fans.  

!973 was a very average second Division season like yesterday we had beaten Fulham comfortably with no dramas. Palace had invested heavily in their !st Division squad and we looked like lambs to the slaughter even though we were drawn at home. Willy Henderson had one of his first halves and was brought down for a pen which Tommy Craig duly despatched. The scores were level at half and full time so it was off to Palace for the replay, the game looked to be up late into the game but Dave Sunley popped up on his 21st Birthday with a leveller and that's how it stayed to the end. ( Incidentally couldn't afford that game so I Hitch hiked both ways).

The 2nd replay at Villa Park had an attendance of 19K 14,500 of which were Owls Fans. This was the Joicey match ...We trailed twice and Brian Joicey levelled twice to take the game into extra time and it was ta our end that Joicey chose to send us crazy with his hat trick winner. The lads at The Walkley Cottage hired a Transit pick up with about 2 dozen contributors...Oh what a nite.

More than the Wednesday games though. Muddy quagmire pitches, players struggling on when badly injured (no subs). The Weather, the upsets, The crowds.

Just because the Premiership exists to the benefit of the few the cup games are still the property of the fans it's your enthusiasm and Love that keeps the cups alive today. The premiership or Championship is still the most difficult trophy to lift but for romance and magic nothing hold a candle to the FA Cup !   

Only just over 35 but some of my earliest memories were FA cup related: Crying after the 86 semi, seeing us beat Torquay 5-1 then hearing that Coventry had unbelievably lost at Sutton, Neville Southall giving the best goalkeeping performance I have ever seen in a 2-1 defeat at Hillsborough.

Any team could win the cup as there was not the discrepancy between big boys and the rest. Plus cup final was one of the few occasions when matches were on TV.

Another blast from the FA Cup past this time 1986.

cheers parkfield,one of my favourite wednesday games.car full of us decided to travel down from the north-east about one o`clock that afternoon,very short notice,but what a treat we had in store.i always remembered the away end was full,how the memory plays tricks.

Started watching wednesday in 1992 aged 7 so obviously just at the start of the premier league era but it still felt important/special with relatively big crowds and unthinkable for anything but the first team to be playing.

Obviously the 1992-1993 cup run was memorable, but the 1996-1997 cup run was also memorable.

Can remember playing Grimsby in the 3rd round on a freezing cold day, winning 7-0, humphreys hat-trick, 6,000 or so cod heads complete with inflatable fish. Then the last time I believe we fielded a all british side at Carlisle in the 4th round (I may be wrong) winning 0-2. A great win at Bradford in the 5th and then a guttering home quarter final defeat to Wimbledon.

I think the shine wore off for us in 2000 with relegation and the failure for years to compete

The shine wore off in general for the whole competition also in the early 00's for me due to the top sides showing the champions league more importance due to its financial gains.

Edited by meadowview owl

cheers parkfield,one of my favourite wednesday games.car full of us decided to travel down from the north-east about one o`clock that afternoon,very short notice,but what a treat we had in store.i always remembered the away end was full,how the memory plays tricks.

Iam still amazed that we managed to get the game played at all on a bog of a pitch looking at the clip. :columbo:

If that cartel had their way I'm sure they'd be rid of the entire competition at the first opportunity

i've no doubt they would love to do that, the spare weekends in Jan/Feb would then allow a midwinter break and the top Premier League clubs could go off and spend January competing in some meaningless tournament in Bangkok.

Correct. over 41,000 was at the replay and i nearly got crushed on the Kop when the first goal went in. lolWTF: WTF:

You were one of lucky ones because we couldn't get in, ended up standing in North West corner.

Me too. I think I only went on there 3 or 4 times over the years but that one was pretty memorable.

It was huge.

We all used to dream of winning the FA Cup.

It's why 93 still haunts a lot of us.

It's impossible to explain how huge it was, and every season there was a real possiblity of getting to the final.   In the 60's different teams got to Wembley every season, the anticipaton and drama of the day just doesn't have a parallel today.  I used to take my transistor to school for the draw which was on the radio at about 12.30 on a Monday.

I vowed never to go to Wembley until we were there but in 1975 it looked like we'd never get there so I went to see Matlock managed by the great Peter Swan in the FA trophy final.  18 years later we made it and I had tears in my eyes as we sang Abide with me.  I also had tears in my eyes when Chris Woods flapped at that header in the final minute.  

Clubs put staying in the PL and even getting promotion to it above the FA Cup but to the fans that's nonsense.   You can't say "Oh remember that season we finished 14th just above Stoke City" but an FA Cup win you'll remember for ever.

One of my very earliest memories of following Wednesday back in 87-88 and we had a mini saga with Everton in the FA Cup.

All very close games which finished 1-1 and in front of full stadiums on each occasion.

Cue the 3rd replay and 4th game - Everton were 5-0 up at Hillsborough at HT with Graham Sharp scoring a hattrick lol

The FA Cup is an absolute shadow of what it used to be, the whole occasion for even the smallest clubs really meant something. I'd love us to win it.

That Everton 0-5 drubbing was the only time in 50+ years watching that Ive left at halftime. 4 of us on the kop and we were back drowning our sorrows in the Abbey at Woodseats before the final whistle. I think that match and the Cannoville Chelsea match are the two cup matches that stand out in terms of crushing disappointment.

The best 2 cup nights for me were the 5-0 Burnley quarter final and the Warhurst 1-0 against Derby. Both brilliant atmospheres and great results