What were FA cup games like before the PL?

Memory such a strange thing, remember Willie Hendersons first half tricks and his Penalty Drive into the box but surprised we played in White tops can't remember that. lol

We wore these colours a few times during late 60s and early 70s in cup games.

Haven't got a clue why but I think it looked a pretty smart kit.

Managers used to get sacked if they lost in the early rounds of the FA Cup. In the days of 2 points for a win and no playoffs if you were mid table then the season was effectively over. When gate receipts were 90% of turnover a cup run was absolutely essential.

The FA Cup to me growing up in the 80's was the biggest cup in the world just behind the world cup. It probably still is in my mind. Would I want Wednesday to win the champions league or fa cup .... I'd take the fa cup in a heartbeat. 

The premiership and champions league in their current form are what is most horrible about modern football and I despise the money factor of both, absolutely killed the traditional element of the game and gave birth to the modern overpaid footballer and people like f.u.cking nani who has bronze statues of himself in his hallway.

Champions league should just be the champions cup knockout with winners only from the top division. But I guess that's for another discussion.

Bring back division one!

FA cup final day on TV started at 9am in the morning with the build up to kick off at 3pm, now a days it's been shunted back to 1730 kick off probably starting on TV at 5pm

No it started on the Friday night. Remember "Who will win the Cup" hosted by Brian moore? They went through categories to analyse which team would win.

Champions league should just be the champions cup knockout with winners only from the top division. But I guess that's for another discussion.

Bring back division one!

The European Cup. Knock out. 

All this nonsense too where if you go out of that you get the Uefa Spot, or whatever that Cup is called these days.

European Cup.

Cup Winners Cup.

Still is division one in my mind. They'll always be 1-4. 

League 1 indeed, first thing is quickly remind myself it's the third division.

Really interested in hearing some opinions about the old days from some of our 35+ fans. I have only ever known of the PL era, never attended a division one game or an FA cup game that wasn't a none event.

What were FA cup ties like back in the 80s and backwards? Were they really built up and we'll attended? More than league games even?

What was the old division one like compared to the PL? Has the PL improved anything?

I often imagine it to be a very romantic era, starting the season with genuine expectations to challenge for the title for teams like us, villa etc.

Were relegations to the second not as much to fear? What was it like when everyone played at the same time?

The old days from 35 year olds!! I'm 38 and I'm not sure I remember "the olden days!"

The European Cup. Knock out. 

All this nonsense too where if you go out of that you get the Uefa Spot, or whatever that Cup is called these days.

European Cup.

Cup Winners Cup.

Still is division one in my mind. They'll always be 1-4. 

League 1 indeed, first thing is quickly remind myself it's the third division.

Yeah that's it. Cup Winners Cup was a good cup to win!

My first game was an FA Cup game I think.  Was a nipper at the time.  We beat Torquay 6-1 or something if I remember correctly.  I remember it being amazing.  But apart from some balloons flying about I don't remember much else.  I seem to recall a good atmosphere but as an 8 year old at my first game it was probably always gonna feel like that.  Any of you older fans remember this game in more detail?  Did Siggi play? He's the only player I seem to recall.

The FA cup seems to be a big deal when it suits people. 

It became a big deal to Arsenal in the last few season because they hadn't won anything in nearly ten years. 

All of a sudden finishing 3rd or 4th wasn't good enough and Wenger starting taking it more seriously. 

Was nice to get the win yesterday, but I think people would have been more annoyed had we drawn than lost (no replay). 

It's a shame because football should be about winning and achieving things. 

The FA Cup to me growing up in the 80's was the biggest cup in the world just behind the world cup. It probably still is in my mind. Would I want Wednesday to win the champions league or fa cup .... I'd take the fa cup in a heartbeat. 

The premiership and champions league in their current form are what is most horrible about modern football and I despise the money factor of both, absolutely killed the traditional element of the game and gave birth to the modern overpaid footballer and people like f.u.cking nani who has bronze statues of himself in his hallway.

Bring back division one!

Well said. Post of the Day. ;-)

Not the FA Cup but the League Cup. 1984 full house Hillsborough 49,000, or had capacity gone up to 54,000? Not sure if the roof had gone on then. Hillsborough was bouncing that night. 2-2 draw, we were second division then. 

Replay at Anfield we got battered but will never forget "we'll be back chant".

Next season after promotion 2-0 away win. Shelton and Varadi. Varadi from the sideline as Grobbelar came racing out. We were back.

Guest minsk owl

Mods. Can we have people under the age of 50 banned please?

Or at least start a veterans section where we keep Tas and other young riff raff out please?

How old do I feel right now.

remember who started the thread  :ph34r:

Or at least start a veterans section where we keep Tas and other young riff raff out please?

I'm not young, I can remember being IN the hole in the road.

What would be the point of us old uns reminiscing to other old uns who were also there