What were FA cup games like before the PL?

I started going to Hillsborough in 61. In those days the FA Cup was the thing we all looked forward to every season.

You have to remember the only live televised match was the Cup Final and it was a massive event.

I can remember gathering round the radio at school waiting for the Cup draw to be made on Monday lunchtime and the whole atmosphere was brilliant.

There's no doubt the magic diminished with the advent of the PL and saturation televising of matches that Sky brought with it.

It's impossible really to explain to people who are brought up on this diet of football how different the game was.

I'm sure the game is probably quicker and more skilfull than it was back in the day. There's now too much over analysing and it's taken the fun and simplicity out of the game .

Also, if anyone thinks that social media has been any benefit to football or life in general you need to give your head a wobble , as they say.

I started in 61 v Tottenham.  

Just shows how much TV has changed........I watched the 66 world cup final a couple of days after the event in the Classic (?) cinema in Fitzallen Square. It was in colour.

I cant remember if the actual final was live on TV or if it was it must have been B&W

I started in 61 v Tottenham.  

Just shows how much TV has changed........I watched the 66 world cup final a couple of days after the event in the Classic (?) cinema in Fitzallen Square. It was in colour.

I cant remember if the actual final was live on TV or if it was it must have been B&W

61 v Wolves, mate.

Blimey I remember going to see 66 WCF at the pictures but can't remember where.

It was the first time World Cup matches were broadcast live on TV but only in black and white. That's why we were desperate to see it in colour

61 v Wolves, mate.

Blimey I remember going to see 66 WCF at the pictures but can't remember where.

It was the first time World Cup matches were broadcast live on TV but only in black and white. That's why we were desperate to see it in colour

I cant remember it on TV but I recall queuing outside the pictures. They were showing it non stop and there were loads of people trying to get in.

In those days the Football League and the FA were scared of TV. They thought that TV would take over and Attendences would fall........and they were correct. It wasnt until Match of the Day started showing highlights on Saturday nights that there was anything else except the Cup Final. If you werent in the First Division there was no chance of seeing your team on TV.

Another blast from the FA Cup past this time 1986.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbsIiHeiq7E

Bloody Everton,mind they were a good side weren't they.

Would have gone on to better things too if their neighbours hadn't been kicking off around Europe.

Shutts header though. Crowd erupting. Bloody hell. Would loved that group to have made it. Talk about sweat blood and tears for the club.

Edited by Lord Snooty

One of my very earliest memories of following Wednesday back in 87-88 and we had a mini saga with Everton in the FA Cup.

All very close games which finished 1-1 and in front of full stadiums on each occasion.

Cue the 3rd replay and 4th game - Everton were 5-0 up at Hillsborough at HT with Graham Sharp scoring a hattrick lol

The FA Cup is an absolute shadow of what it used to be, the whole occasion for even the smallest clubs really meant something. I'd love us to win it.

Sheffield Wednesday v Arsenal (1979)

Now if we’re talking FA Cup replays, this is the daddy of all ties. Arsenal may have won the FA Cup in 1979, beating Manchester United 3-2 in the final, but they took their time getting there, needing no less than FOUR replays to get passed Third Division Sheffield Wednesday in the third round.

The first match, on January 6th, saw the sides draw 1-1 at Hillsborough, a scoreline that was repeated at Highbury three days later. The tie then moved to Leicester’s Filbert Street and ended up 2-2, and then 3-3 before Arsenal final got past the Owls 2-0 on January 22nd.

I went to all 5 games

Anyone (maybe Dunsby) have a copy of the poster they brought out after that tie?

Final score Arsenal 9-7 Sheffield Wednesday. Total attendance c 155,000! lol

Bloody Everton,mind they were a good side weren't they.

Would have gone on to better things too if their neighbours hadn't been kicking off around Europe.

Shutts header though. Crowd erupting. Bloody hell. Would loved that group to have made it. Talk about sweat blood and tears for the club.

shame that Carl Shutt didn't go on bigger and better things after his exploits. :wacko::duntmatter:

One of my very earliest memories of following Wednesday back in 87-88 and we had a mini saga with Everton in the FA Cup.

All very close games which finished 1-1 and in front of full stadiums on each occasion.

Cue the 3rd replay and 4th game - Everton were 5-0 up at Hillsborough at HT with Graham Sharp scoring a hattrick lol

The FA Cup is an absolute shadow of what it used to be, the whole occasion for even the smallest clubs really meant something. I'd love us to win it.

Went to all those ties. Remember drawing 1-1 in the 1st replay at Goodison Park and staying after the game to watch them throw a coin to see where the 2nd replay was going to be played

We lost the throw and had to go back to Goodison a couple of weeks later

Drew 1-1 there again on a Monday and then back to Hillsborough 2 days later. Can't believe it these days.

Edited by Baldrick

Guest minsk owl

Didnt we also have a marathon tie against Crystal Palace

Joicey hat - trick at Villa Park , 2nd replay   .......... ........... can only find this one of the first match