What were FA cup games like before the PL?

Really interested in hearing some opinions about the old days from some of our 35+ fans. I have only ever known of the PL era, never attended a division one game or an FA cup game that wasn't a none event.

What were FA cup ties like back in the 80s and backwards? Were they really built up and we'll attended? More than league games even?

What was the old division one like compared to the PL? Has the PL improved anything?

I often imagine it to be a very romantic era, starting the season with genuine expectations to challenge for the title for teams like us, villa etc.

Were relegations to the second not as much to fear? What was it like when everyone played at the same time?

Sheffield Wednesday v Arsenal (1979)
Now if we’re talking FA Cup replays, this is the daddy of all ties. Arsenal may have won the FA Cup in 1979, beating Manchester United 3-2 in the final, but they took their time getting there, needing no less than FOUR replays to get passed Third Division Sheffield Wednesday in the third round.

The first match, on January 6th, saw the sides draw 1-1 at Hillsborough, a scoreline that was repeated at Highbury three days later. The tie then moved to Leicester’s Filbert Street and ended up 2-2, and then 3-3 before Arsenal final got past the Owls 2-0 on January 22nd.

I went to all 5 games

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Were relegations to the second not as much to fear? What was it like when everyone played at the same time?

There was always a chance of decent sized clubs keeping some of their better players when relegated before the money went crazy.

Put it this way. If you got relegated with Villa and Bournemouth were in the top flight came in for your players your players would probably stay and probably be on better money in the second division too.

Times when your fan base actually had a bearing on how your club was viewed.

Look back a few years at Wigan signing players turning down the likes of us, L**d's or Wolves to go there. At one time that wouldn't have happened.

As for kick offs being Saturdays at 3pm it meant tables were actually interesting for a few days. Not the tables change every 8 hours I'm not even sure why they print them. May as well not do it till the end of every month.

Really interested in hearing some opinions about the old days from some of our 35+ fans. I have only ever known of the PL era, never attended a division one game or an FA cup game that wasn't a none event.

What were FA cup ties like back in the 80s and backwards? Were they really built up and we'll attended? More than league games even?

What was the old division one like compared to the PL? Has the PL improved anything?

I often imagine it to be a very romantic era, starting the season with genuine expectations to challenge for the title for teams like us, villa etc.

We're not Rotherham, we definitely have more than 35 fans.

FA cup final day on TV started at 9am in the morning with the build up to kick off at 3pm, now a days it's been shunted back to 1730 kick off probably starting on TV at 5pm

Just dreading the day when the FA Cup final is moved to a 7.45/8.00pm kick-off and that day is not too far off tbh. WTF: WTF: WTF:

Used to be a lot more exciting than it is now. Nobody picked their Reserves side. Everyone wanted to win at all costs. When Wednesday got to the final in 66 I went to every game except the Final. My older brother had a season ticket but used to take me occasionally (after being pestered by my Mum who I had pestered). I was 12. He had to get tickets for the Cup so my mum made him get one for me as well.

He put his foot down and wouldnt take me to Wembley but I was set in front of the telly all day (with my programme that you could send off for)

Im fairly sure it was in Black and White.

I wouldnt eat for days when we lost........my mum blamed my brother for not taking me

Him and his mates drove down in a Ford Anglia with a plywood cut out ozzy owl fastened to the roof (it could have been a FA Cup)

I started going to Hillsborough in 61. In those days the FA Cup was the thing we all looked forward to every season.

You have to remember the only live televised match was the Cup Final and it was a massive event.

I can remember gathering round the radio at school waiting for the Cup draw to be made on Monday lunchtime and the whole atmosphere was brilliant.

There's no doubt the magic diminished with the advent of the PL and saturation televising of matches that Sky brought with it.

It's impossible really to explain to people who are brought up on this diet of football how different the game was.

I'm sure the game is probably quicker and more skilfull than it was back in the day. There's now too much over analysing and it's taken the fun and simplicity out of the game .

Also, if anyone thinks that social media has been any benefit to football or life in general you need to give your head a wobble , as they say.

Edited by Ibbo48

Just dreading the day when the FA Cup final is moved to a 7.45/8.00pm kick-off and that day is not too far off tbh. WTF: WTF: WTF:

To be honest, a proper evening kick off (7.45/8) doesn't worry me.

Possibly a tail for traveling fans, but FFS it's the FA Cup final.  Make a weekend out of it.

The weird, TV inspired hybrids (5.05pm) are the timings that get on my boobies. 

I move a lot of concrete on the QVC.

Guest Theboylangers

My memory could be playing tricks on me but I feel sure we got over 40000 for a 5th round tie against Burnley at home in the 80's. 

And I also think we won 5-0. 

41731, just Googled it.

But prices were cheaper....   :ph34r:

Edited by Theboylangers

My dad tells me that the 3rd round weekend was one of the highlights of the season and used to draw in larger than average crowds. If you were at home the Kop would pretty much be full.

Your dad is spot on. An FA Cup 3rd round home match was always eagerly anticipated no matter who you were drawn against.

My memory could be playing tricks on me but I feel sure we got over 40000 for a 5th round tie against Burnley at home in the 80's. 

And I also think we won 5-0. 

Correct. over 41,000 was at the replay and i nearly got crushed on the Kop when the first goal went in. lolWTF: WTF:

You'd be more inclined to play a weakened team in the league if you had a big cup game coming up.

Teams in the prem don't even do that anymore which is sad, it's the other way round.

Getting to Wembley for the final was everyone's dream. Now the magic had gone and won't ever return

At one time you had to reach either the FA or league cup finals to see your team play at Wembley, now semis and play-off finals are there so not such a special once in a lifetime event, in the 70's quite a few second tier sides won the FA cup, Sunderland, Southampton, Ipswich, for their supporters that day out at Wembley would probably the most memorable match of their lives. Now for all Championship sides, a Wembley play off final win leading to the riches of the PL would be vastly more important.

Also (Though I've not been) a match at the new Wembley doesn't seem to have the same sense of occasion as the old (Admittedly decrepid) stadium, the new one just looks like a big league ground and with the seats opposite the camera position not being occupied half the time, presumably the realm of the corporate prawn sandwich brigade, makes it looks as half the people there aren't bothered about who wins the game.