What were FA cup games like before the PL?

Be interesting to know what Leicester fans would choose this season, before their squad suffers from an inevitable 'Southampton' and has its best players plundered by the big clubs, would they choose an FA cup win (I don't think any other team has a more disappointing record than their 4 finals, 4 defeats), or would they choose to finish 3rd and have what would probably be their one and only shot at the champions league.

Appreciate in reality it's not an either/or and they could do both or neither but given the choice? Which would any of us prefer if Wednesday were in the same position in January in a year or two?

One glory day in May to talk about for years to come or some Autumn trips to maybe Barcelona/Munich/Milan, hmmm!

I'd take the FA Cup without a second thought. You have the glory day in May and still have the European adventure the following season in the UEFA Cup (yeah, I know it's the Europa League now!) - and probably be in with a decent shout of winning that as well.

You'd probably be going to some more interesting places than Barcelona etc etc.

One of my biggest regrets, Wednesday-wise,  is that our last European adventure didn't take us anywhere weird and wonderful. I wished we'd had trips to somewhere like Russia or Albania...now that would have been memorable!!

Can't let this thread pass by without mentioning 93.

Truly the most amazing feeling ever in a Cup game being at Wembley and beating your closest rivals, as well as being one up after less than 2 minutes.

Experience I will never ever forget and an atmosphere to go with it, nothing like the soulless place that the new Wembley is.

***** loved beating that lot.

Went to my first away match v Blackburn in 1966 quarter final. Platform at Midland station was manic...dad said keep away from edge of platform until all nutters have got on....nothing changes :rolleyes: (me old man wouldn't take me to the chelski semi-final cos he said Chelsea have some right nutters and might not be safe...thinks he wanted a day on the pop with his mates :biggrin:

I'd still take winning the Cup over promotion this season. Winning the Cup brings immortality.

Also would be extra special as we are currently the last team outside the top flight to win a cup (League Cup 1991), think about it, it would be an absolutely unique double!