Mick Lyons Article

Here's an extract from an interview with Mick from this months retro footy magazine Back Pass.

Howard Kendall told me a couple of clubs had come in for me and asked if I would like to go and see them. I went over to Sheffield and I met Maurice Setters as Jack Charlton was commenting on the European Championship. We had a good talk and he told me that the Chairman would like to come and see me. He came over and as a result I agreed to join Wednesday and we shook on it.

The other club in the city United rang me and I was supposed to see them as too and it was their manager Ian Porterfield who spoke to me. United offered me more but I had shaken hands with the Wednesday Chairman and that was that

On the way back to Liverpool the song "I'll Find My Way Home" by Vangelis came on. I got really upset listening to the words so instead of going home I popped into a local bar. I was standing at the bar when an Evertonian came up to me and said "I hear you signed for Sheffield Wednesday today" I replied yes and he went on to say "Good I thought you were poo ". It certainly brought me down to earth and the tears soon dried up.