People that succeeded/flopped at S6

Surprised no one has mentioned Lee Chapman. Started out on fire for Stoke, went to Arsenal for big money and flopped. Got sold to Sunderland did nowt there then Sgt Bilko rescued him. Huge success for us and both Forest and Leeds.

Petter Rudi. One in a long list of players who started well (he even had football focus slot) then his confidence was shot to sh*t by the boo boys after he had a couple of bad games and never recovered. He took a dogs abuse at Hillsborough that guy.

Also, Goce Sedloski. Signed by Big Ron in his second coming for £1.25m. Was given that ridiculous overused tag of 'the next Tony Adams'. He played about 30 minutes for us in a season and left.

One of Rons better signings also in the cb position was Emerson Thome. Signed for free from Benfica I think it was. Went to Chelsea for £3m or £4m. One of the few decent pieces of business Wednesday has done in my lifetime. Was gutted when he left though.

Petter Rudi. One in a long list of players who started well (he even had football focus slot) then his confidence was shot to sh*t by the boo boys after he had a couple of bad games and never recovered. He took a dogs abuse at Hillsborough that guy.

Also, Goce Sedloski. Signed by Big Ron in his second coming for £1.25m. Was given that ridiculous overused tag of 'the next Tony Adams'. He played about 30 minutes for us in a season and left.

One of Rons better signings also in the cb position was Emerson Thome. Signed for free from Benfica I think it was. Went to Chelsea for £3m or £4m. One of the few decent pieces of business Wednesday has done in my lifetime. Was gutted when he left though.

Sedloski didn't flop...he couldn't get a game ahead of Des and Thome and under the ridiculous work permit system had to leave...went on to play 125 times for his country...he would have been the captain of the club for years had the current system been in place

Guest SnookerOwl

Look at Kim Olsen!

Went on to have a pretty decent goal scoring record in the Danish top flight after he left us. 

2004 - Sheffield Wednesday: 12 games, 0 goals
2004-2008 - Silkeborg IF: 67 games, 25 goals
2008-2010 - Ã–rebro SK: 56 games, 19 goals
2010-2012 - Vejle BK: 34 games, 17 goals

Sedloski didn't flop...he couldn't get a game ahead of Des and Thome and under the ridiculous work permit system had to leave...went on to play 125 times for his country...he would have been the captain of the club for years had the current system been in place

Fair point, I wasn't really saying he was flop from the point of view of his ability as we never got to see him perform, but I guess I didn't clarify that originally. Flopped more from the view of a signing with some hype that really didn't work out.

Completely agree about the work permit issue - I think that was how Stefanovic ended up leaving us as well. He was a useful player at the time but we only played him for something like 15 games in his last season so was forced to split. 

Chris Brunt was the Nuhiu of his day for much of his Hillsborough career - He was frustrating and inconsistent on occasions and didn't the boo boys let him know.

In my 50 years we have always had a section of supporters that are highly impatient and rush to judgement on some players.

Even Whelan had some serious detractors.

Many were happy when Antonio was sold and how many thought Afobe was cr*p...the list goes on?

Absolutely spot on.

Quoted fee in Croatian papers was 750k. Transfer almost fell through as he injured himself running to keep his fitness up before joining us (oh, the irony).

Said he was doomed when Atkinson went as Wilson hated him and wouldn't even let him train with the first team.

Joined Dinamo Zagreb after leaving us, played great and was made captain there. Scored almost 20 goals for them one season.

Even Chris Brunt was targeted by the boo boys at Hillsboro.  No wonder our away form is often better than our home form.   

Not many have flourished here. We even decided Jamie Vardy, Benik Afobe, Darko Kovacevic and Grant Holt were nowt special and let them move on for peanuts.   OK Afobe wasn't ours but he could have been.

:duntmatter:

You really don't have a clue why Jamie Vardy left us, as a kid, do you? No club in the country would have kept him on. We made far more from Kovacevic than we paid for him, and Grant Holt needed a year in the reserves after signing from a club two leagues below the 4 division. We simply didn't have the time to let him develop.

Met sedloski's cousin whilst on holiday in faliraki about 10 years ago. At least he said he was , he was wearing a Sheff wed shirt with sedloski on the back and when I asked him he said he was his cousin

Benik Afobe

We stuck him on the wing :laugh:

He was poo for us though let's face it. No point trying to make out we didn't realise.

My mates a massive arsenal fan - follows youth team etc and even he can't believe how he's come on.

Pleat barely gave him a chance to be fair. Remember he scored a couple v Bolton and looked promising, next thing he was off.

I remember him being rather disappointing after an intriguing home debut. But he only made 9+8 appearances (4 goals) and there was no reason to believe we'd seen everything to come from him. To be fair though, Pleat did secure the biggest transfer fee we've ever received when we let him go, even if that might have been somewhat down to fortune.