Out of cantract players - who to keep new we are safe?

So the manager is hinting at a big clear out as he seeks to build a squad that can challenge for promotion. The article says, bolstering his attack is one of the main priorities. I would agree with that, it's his main priority. The trouble is, all our misfiring strikers, bar Madine, are still under contract. Unless we are going to offload a few of them, which might be difficult, how much scope does he have?

If he gets in at least one quality forward I don't mind having the others staying on as back up.

Depth and all that..

Guest Kagoshimaowl

themasked.....release Loovens but keep Zayatte.... HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!  You are having a tin bath pal!!!

TBF I would keep both!

So the manager is hinting at a big clear out as he seeks to build a squad that can challenge for promotion. The article says, bolstering his attack is one of the main priorities. I would agree with that, it's his main priority. The trouble is, all our misfiring strikers, bar Madine, are still under contract. Unless we are going to offload a few of them, which might be difficult, how much scope does he have?

Of the players out of contract, only mccabe, corry, Kirkland, kelhar, buxton and floro have been unused or hardly played.

The rest have played enough games to suggest they will need keeping or replacing. Which is roughly 8 players.

If you then figure we have three loanees also going back, that's 11 that need replacing.

If people then want, say Nuhiu, may and Dielna offloaded, they will also need replacing.

You just can't spread your budget that thinly and sign top quality. I'm fully expecting us to offer deals to at least a third of the out of contract lot, and maybe only one or two under contract players to be shipped out.

Of the players out of contract, only mccabe, corry, Kirkland, kelhar, buxton and floro have been unused or hardly played.

The rest have played enough games to suggest they will need keeping or replacing. Which is roughly 8 players.

If you then figure we have three loanees also going back, that's 11 that need replacing.

If people then want, say Nuhiu, may and Dielna offloaded, they will also need replacing.

You just can't spread your budget that thinly and sign top quality. I'm fully expecting us to offer deals to at least a third of the out of contract lot, and maybe only one or two under contract players to be shipped out.

Yeah me too, and also for the sake of continuity.

Kirkland - Release

Buxton - Release

Mattock - Release

Loovens - Offer 1 year deal

Semedo - Offer 1 year deal

Maguire - Offer 1 year deal

Coke - Release

McCabe - Release

Madine - Release

Zayette - Release

Maghoma - Release

Lee - Offer 1 year deal

Corry - Release

Floro - Release

Kelhar - Release

Would agree with this ^

Great post.

Too many people taking the Football Manager mindset in this thread.

There HAS to be continuity, in order for the progression to evolve. We've had a cracking season, in which the likes of Mattock, Maguire, Zayette & Maghoma, have played important parts in.

For the progression to continue, you improve the squad by supplementing those types of players with better options.

For example, if we go into next season with Maguire, Maghoma and two "better" wide men, that would ensure we have great strength in depth, four players more than good enough to compete at this level AND there's still continuity.

Starting from scratch is a huge gamble but if we are to move up to the next level (playoff area/auto promotion) then imho these are the only (Owls signed) players likely to take us there.

Shoe-ins:

* Westwood - Obviously

* Lees - Only with another quality centre back alongside him (preferably experienced but big, strong and fast (therefore expensive)

* Lee - You dont come up through manures academy without huge potential. Very adaptive, creative and goal scoring player whose game has moved on this season after stalling last term a little. I would offer him a 2 year deal.

* Lavery - If he can stay fit this lad has all the tools he needs to be the mobile front man we need. Hes a gamble but just one full season will transform him into this.

Supporting cast:

+ Mattock - Unless we can sign an expensive 'proven' player Mattock is  footballing wise the best LB we have. Needs to concentrate more on the defensive side of his game and fitness is an issue. Probably a one year rolling extension.

+ Semedo - Dont really need to list his qualities or his shortcomings. Unless Melo becomes the new Semedo at least a one year extension.

+ Zayatte - There are the basics of a solid CB in there. Injury prone is a worry but hes performed mostly when hes been in the team this season. Not so much 'kamikaze' Zayatte anymore

+ Palmer - Not as good as Buxton (yet) at RB however can fill in most areas and does have talent. Not a goalscorer and injury history is a worry. Has missed the end of the last two seasons with injury.

+ Nuhiu - Coming into the last year of his contract. If he can be replaced with better then Id look to get him out on loan. Im not blind to his positives but his strike rate to chances ratio is poor.

Jury out:

~ Buxton - No doubting his qualities but like Reda his injury proneness is likely to leave him as a bit part player taking a wage. Id keep a fit Buxton but we cant guarantee that.

~ Melo - Not had enough time on the pitch yet but perhaps starting to show he could be the new Semedo. In contract anyway so I guess we will see after a full pre season. Id also play him in that position for the last three games now we are safe.

~ Vermijl - Shown touches of class but has deffo cost us a couple of goals so far. Hard to come in to this level from reserve football but again pre-season may give us the answers.

~ May - Is it confidence with this lad or is the Scottish Prem that much worse than League 1 level? Still scored seven goals but never shown the finishing that prompted us to buy him. If the money is there to replace him then he needs to go out on loan for the season.

~ Maguire - Does have the skill and drive to be in a playoff side but doesnt show it consistently. Likeable but frustrating player.

~ Loovens - Age and injury proneness are my great concerns. Potentially next seasons Anthony Gardner if re-signed. Will need a big fee or huge luck to buy better but if we can i'd release Loovens.

~ Helan - Does have something. Remember hes still very young but at the moment all hes giving us is pace. Perhaps the lad needs fish oils to help his concentration?

~ Dielna - Lower table defender prone to Reda type gaffes. However has ball skills and im sure theres a footballer in there. Id like to see him tried in midfield pre-season seeing as hes in contract anyway.

~ Hutchinson - Not shown what he did when he was on loan to us. Injury prone and continues to make potentially red card tackles every game so is a liability. If he can knuckle down and cut out the rash stuff theres a cracking player in there.

~ Maghoma - See dictionary entry for 'frustrating'! Without the goals he added at Burton hes just another journeyman.

~ Bus - cant say. Needs games and fitness. Lets talk again after pre-season;)

Bye Bye:

McCabe

Corry

Madine

Coke

Kelhar

Floro/all those others signed for the development squad not seen as good enough even for the bench. Let them go and get games elsewhere.

Thank You:

Kirkland - Cant offer you first team place over Westwood. You deserve to go and be someones number one keeper.

If Ive missed anyone sorry

post-13648-0-74136400-1429301714.jpg

Guest Fedor

Kirkland - Release - Sooner or later we have to trust in our young keepers

Buxton - Offer a year extension

Mattock - Offer 2 year deal

Loovens - Offer 2 year deal

Semedo - Offer 2 year deal

Maguire - Offer 2 year deal

Coke - Release,

McCabe - Release,

Madine - Release

Zayette - Offer 1 year deal

Maghoma - Release

Lee - Offer 3 year deal

Corry - Release

Floro - Release

Kelhar - Release

This apart from Mattock, release.

Remember three years ago when everyone got giddy at all the new players Dave Jones was bringing in to feed their habit? Then a few weeks later when we were in the relegation places they all pretended that it had been obvious all along that too many signings could only ever have bad results?

And now the wheel has turned again for some people.

BUY, BUY, BUY and damn the consequences... unless it doesn't go so well and we can then complain that we signed too many again... just before we suggest that the solution is to buy some more.

Remember three years ago when everyone got giddy at all the new players Dave Jones was bringing in to feed their habit? Then a few weeks later when we were in the relegation places they all pretended that it had been obvious all along that too many signings could only ever have bad results?

And now the wheel has turned again for some people.

BUY, BUY, BUY and damn the consequences... unless it doesn't go so well and we can then complain that we signed too many again... just before we suggest that the solution is to buy some more.

I think we need some more players!

Having played all season with no wingers hasnt helped the strikers though. 

Don't get why everyone wants to release Mattock?

Obviously we need to sign a more promising LB but there are other areas of the squad that need more attention, a new LB isn't an urgency at all, we have a steady one already...

Besides, if our new super diverse, shooting, scoring and defending LB gets injured who would you rather bring on? Mattock.....or Helan/Dielna :/

Guest Kagoshimaowl

Mattock is crap.  At least Helan has speed to get him out of trouble from his poor defending unlike crappy Joe.

I like those saved games on Football Manager when you know you're going to have some funds available and players to move on and bring in some new blood. 

I love it. Love it i do.