Melo vs Semedo

When we initially signed Melo, and after watching his youtube clips, it was obvious he plays the 'semedo role'.

I initially thought he would replace jose when his contract expires but given Jose's form this season i'd expect him to get a new deal whilst we'll get rid of McCabe, Corry & Coke from the central midfield positions.

Imagine them as the holding two with three decent players in front, then a goalscoring front man up top.

Or would he be Semedo's direct competition?

Early days, thoughts?

Edited by parkerowl

When we initially signed Melo, and after watching his youtube clips, it was obvious he plays the 'semedo role'.

I initially thought he would replace jose when his contract expires but given Jose's form this season i'd expect him to get a new deal whilst we'll get rid of McCabe, Corry & Coke from the central midfield positions.

Imagine them as the holding two with three decent players in front, then a goalscoring front man up top.

Or would he be Semedo's direct competition?

Early days, thoughts?

That combative role sees players missing games because of injuries and supensions. We'll need Melo, Semedo and Hutch next season IMO.

both, there will be games he may play both, away from home, also to see a game out that your leading in, so last 20 mins.

but at home, i reckon they will be in competition for a place, as will Hutch, but as has shown with Liam Palmer, this can only be a good thing. 

Possible.

And given what we know of Jose and Melo excellent performance tonight, they'd give an already tight defence superb protection.

Mouth watering....for those who like clean sheets.

Not so sure us playing with one up front would be as mouthwatering though given this seasons goalscoring exploits. Or lack thereof. 

Edited by Lord Snooty

I suspect that Melo could stake a claim for first choice for that role, but as Dagmeister says, we'll probably need all three of them over the course of the season.

On the subject of Semedo, I arrived at a doorway at the same time as him (from the other side) at the end of the game. I took a step back to let him through. He nodded to say thanks, and I said "I'd never get past you anyway!". He gave a wry smile, winked and patted me on the arm. I'm now sat in A&E having it X-Rayed. :duntmatter:

Possible.

And given what we know of Jose and Melo excellent performance tonight, they'd give an already tight defence superb protection.

If the three that play behind the one do

Mouth watering....for those who like clean sheets.

Not so sure us playing with one up front would be as mouthwatering though given this seasons goalscoring exploits. Or lack thereof.

If the three behind the one also do the biz it decreases the pressure off the loan man if the opposition know theres 4 attacking players that can do you.

Edited by parkerowl

If the three behind the one also do the biz it decreases the pressure off the loan man if the opposition know theres 4 attacking players that can do you.

Quite.

Three players have to have vision, skill, awareness, confidence, trickery, cunning, guile, craft, nous.

Maghoma ?

Quite.

Three players have to have vision, skill, awareness, confidence, trickery, cunning, guile, craft, nous.

Maghoma ?

Hopefully he'll be back at Burton or another League 2 team, well actually as long as he's not with us, I don't care where he goes.

Hopefully melo is the improvement on semedo we need. Semedo is excellent but can't play football so I'm hoping melo turns out to be the next step up semedo as back up and Hutchinson at another club, though nobody would be daft enough to take him given his injuries and general mediocre performances

If last night was Melo's "regular" level of performance, rather than a one off due to it being his home debut (see Paul Corry vs Leeds) then it really is no contest between Melo and Semedo - Melo everytime.

It remains to be seen if last night was a flash in the pan though - hopefully it wasn't.

He was class last night. He seemed to be as effective as semedo without running round like a mad man. By this I mean he always seemed to be in the right place to clean up rather than semedo running his blood to water to get it done. Both equally as effective and brilliant. I love how semedo winds up the opposition though lol