February 18th 2012...Where It All Began...

Guest totemowl

I was referring to Nigel's comment about MM and Jones soughting Antonio, now I don't know why he'd make that up seeing as he's a respected member with ties to the club

But what he said is rubbished by fact.

Doesn't mean there isn't some foundation in it but what he said is wrong.

I know it was well documented that Megson was chasing Antonio and because of the Baby he wouldn't come originally , but Nigel could well be right in the fact that megson was on his way and DJ came in therefore Antonio could have been bought in by the latter , irrespective of megsons wants , 

Edited by trevdi9

I have it on good authority that Antonio wasnt a Megson signing at all - he was targetted by Milan after his talks with Dave Jones over succeeding Megson after the United game.

I understood he was targeted by megson some months before but antonio deferred the move due to  his wife's preganancy

people claiming now he was bought independant of megson's previous interest is plain mischievous and glosses over the fact the GM was not supported to the degree he wanted  losing marshall and other targets 

I stick by my earlier assertion that antonio was a major reason we achieved what the OP is celebrating

other reasons too conspired to make it a hell of a season 

I understood he was targeted by megson some months before but antonio deferred the move due to  his wife's preganancy

people claiming now he was bought independant of megson's previous interest is plain mischievous and glosses over the fact the GM was not supported to the degree he wanted  losing marshall and other targets 

I stick by my earlier assertion that antonio was a major reason we achieved what the OP is celebrating

other reasons too conspired to make it a hell of a season 

All I know is we wouldn't have got promoted under Megson, probably finished 6th and knocked out of the play-offs

I didn't have an issue with Megson, I quite liked him, being a Wednesday fan you couldn't not like him. That fact clouded people's understanding of his capabilities as a manager, and who could forget the drubbings at Stevenage and Chesterfield.

However Megson was a fossil, and comparable to Gray's current predicament, had taken us as far as he could under his style, tactics and man-management. People are now arguing the same for Gray, and I finally now can see why.

Each manager has brought us continuous improvement, and now with aspirations of the PL I wouldn't be opposed to the new owners soughting someone else 

Missed out on tickets for it...

But I've never celebrated a goal on the radio as mentally as I celebrated Llera's goal.

Watching the Stevenage game was torture though.

I got very lucky, as a client got me in their end. There were loads that got kicked out of Brentfords main stand when the 2 goal went in.

The pub after, watching the Pigs blow it and the dash across London, and subsequent train journey back North was top drawer.

All I know is we wouldn't have got promoted under Megson, probably finished 6th and knocked out of the play-offs

I didn't have an issue with Megson, I quite liked him, being a Wednesday fan you couldn't not like him. That fact clouded people's understanding of his capabilities as a manager, and who could forget the drubbings at Stevenage and Chesterfield.

However Megson was a fossil, and comparable to Gray's current predicament, had taken us as far as he could under his style, tactics and man-management. People are now arguing the same for Gray, and I finally now can see why.

Each manager has brought us continuous improvement, and now with aspirations of the PL I wouldn't be opposed to the new owners soughting someone else 

you're  entitled to that opinion of SG   - it has nothing to do with my post about antonio being a major reason for promotion and I believe that GM may have done it with him too who knows assuming the same circumstances

Swear some of our fans were gutted when Jones managed to get us promoted.

No doubt they were sat in the stands whilst the rest of us ran onto the pitch, shaking their heads and thinking about how gary megson would have done if he'd had Marshall and Antonio on the wing, if Ched Evans had been found innocent etc.

Edited by SiJ

I wasn't saying that's my opinion of SG, but is the figurehead of a lot of assumptions. Personally I'd give him some cash in the summer to see what he can do next season. I just think with GM  alot of it is selective memory 

must have mis understood this bit then no worries