STEVIE MAY

Guest Harry Coy

He's trained for a week with his NEW team m8's,that was prob from the day of Notts C game,that's 7 days prob off for two of them,getting a understanding with,knowing where he wants the ball,creating a partnership with strike partner,all takes more then 5 foooooking days or so,listen to half of you on this thread....

Give the lad a chance FFS...

UTO

What worries me is that by playing two defensive midfielders, Gray was expecting the front two to run the whole opposition half on their own

Semedo looked like an old man and although Coke tried when he came on, we struggled to support in the final third

We threatened occasionally from wide but as said, our efforts on goal were minimal considering we actually got into some good positions

The midfield is now looking light, not the forward line

His high octane approach to the game might have worked in Scotland but looked like a boy being constantly pushed off the ball.

His positional play is poor too, literally treading on Maghoma and Maguires toes and tracking back to a full back position.

He'll come good I think. But only when he picks up the ball in a space where he can realistically have a shot on target.

I think he had a better game last night than eh did against Derby, much more involved, if not with the ball at his feet. Here's the points i picked up from last night:

• he absolutely terrified their defence and goalkeeper with his closing down and forced them in to 5 or 6 errors.
  • he's got a REIGHT engine on him, would love to know how many miles he covered
  • he won the free kick that we scored from
  • he should have had a penalty after they missed theirs.  What the ref was thinking God only knows!
  • he's willing to try things that are a bit elaborate/long shots which is something we've been missing.
  • his positional play is a bit rusty but that will come, he drifted back to fullback positions a couple of times and got left behind on the counter but time will fix that.

Overall, i'm still very excited by the prospect of him as a partner for Nuhiu or Madine.  I don't get the nay sayers, what on earth do you expect?  he's a 21 year old lad, in a new team, new city and his time will come.  Support him, make him feel special, and we'll reep the rewards.  Once he gets one, he'll take off.

If Maghoma realised he's allowed to pass he could have played May into a couple of promising positions. As someone else mentioned, he's the sort of player who will be able to create something for himself if given the ball between the width of the area in the final third.

He had it there once and he beat his man only to be denied by a good covering tackle before he could get a shot off. Almost directed a couple of average crosses towards the goal with improvised finishes. Ran his socks off all night and arguably might have won a penalty after hounding the keeper for the 20th time.

He's 21 and only played 2 games. Let's give the lad a proper chance because the signs are promising.

Would help if we had a decent cm because Lee and the hutch seem to be on the treatment table more often than not. We all know Coke and Semedo is a recipe for struggle in this league.

^^^

Apparently you're not allowed to point that out.

I didn't go last night so can't comment, however, the reaction by some on here is what I expected.

I'll take on board what snooty and a few others are saying and ignore the other numpties.

It would have been totally different if we'd have hung on, we would have been heading for the premier league.

I DID go last night - and the majority of what I've read on here is quite accurate.

Numpties apart - most people can see the problems we have and are expressing their concerns. It may be obvious our squad is paper thin - and of course we should (and the majority are) delighted with our start to the season. But even if we'd held on last night the problems would still be there.

Short of a bit of class

Creating very few good chances for the strikers.

Yes there's encouragement - the defence still looks good esp. the CB pairing and keeper. The work rate and team spirit are excellent.

But at the end of the day - this IS a discussion forum. People are entitled to their opinions and all in the garden isn't rosy ATM

Players need time to adjust to their new teammates and new systems, that is why you don't throw those young players straight into the side. I get the fact that May works hard, an admirable quality, as does Nuhiu, but two players working hard is no guarantee of goals. The fact is, in none of the three league matches has our strike force looked potent. Only against lower league opposition did they come into their own. Tell you something? I'm not saying that any of them won't become good strikers, they're certainly young enough, but let's deal with the here and now shall we.

I'd tell him to just calm down a bit.

His running is admirable but i think it might be detrimental to his overall game at the minute.

I'm not convinced he's the answer to our prayers but he'll be an asset to the squad.

We still need 2 more strikers though in my opinion, with pace would be preferable.

I DID go last night - and the majority of what I've read on here is quite accurate.

Numpties apart - most people can see the problems we have and are expressing their concerns. It may be obvious our squad is paper thin - and of course we should (and the majority are) delighted with our start to the season. But even if we'd held on last night the problems would still be there.

Short of a bit of class

Creating very few good chances for the strikers.

Yes there's encouragement - the defence still looks good esp. the CB pairing and keeper. The work rate and team spirit are excellent.

But at the end of the day - this IS a discussion forum. People are entitled to their opinions and all in the garden isn't rosy ATM

Well said. Agree with all of it.

Hasn't got any pace - looks more a goal poacher. But he'll struggle in that team while there's no creativity. He's not gonna thrive on the odd knock on

Hasn't got any pace? Did you go to the match last night? He's fast and ran all game. Put in a right shift.

Players need time to adjust to their new teammates and new systems, that is why you don't throw those young players straight into the side. I get the fact that May works hard, an admirable quality, as does Nuhiu, but two players working hard is no guarantee of goals. The fact is, in none of the three league matches has our strike force looked potent. Only against lower league opposition did they come into their own. Tell you something? I'm not saying that any of them won't become good strikers, they're certainly young enough, but let's deal with the here and now shall we.

Who else were we supposed to play up front then?

Hasn't got any pace? Did you go to the match last night? He's fast and ran all game. Put in a right shift.

Both centre backs for Derby and Millwall must be like lightening then.

If he was a bowler he'd be in the medium pace category.

Stevie May is a poacher. His best work will be done in the box, where he has enough speed of thought to get in the right positions to finish. By all accounts he's a good finisher, and in time, he will probably adapt to championship football. The fact that he works hard is a bonus which will help us defend from the front. From what I can make out so far, you can't fault his work rate, but perhaps he's been doing that work in the wrong areas. Gray even said after the Derby game, that he wished some of those chances had fallen to May.

The fact that he's not channeling his energies in the right area, is probably more to do with Nuhiu's shortcoming, than anything else. I said before, I didn't think that the Nuhiu/May partnership was one that would bear fruit. If Nuhiu is going to be a regular starter, we don't yet have the partner for him, and that is why this next striker signing is so important.