STEVIE MAY

Guest Harry Coy

I think there's a key difference between headless running around though and how May played tonight.

Lee Peacock used to run around a lot. Tonight May hassled and harried Millwall all night. Chased down the right balls and the right causes and he forced mistakes from their backline in the right areas.

They won't be coming away from the game tonight thinking they've had an easy game. May's performance will be a big part of that.

If we want him to stop running around so much, we can do that by improving the service. He's quick and agile enough to react to anything that comes in the box, if we give him the chance to with the right service.

Totally agree with that

If we were creating loads of chances and not finishing fair doos , but we are still struggling in the last third. We need a midfielder alongside Hutch who can get forward and make stuff happen. I thought Lee was ace at this a few times last year, getting down the right with Palmer n Maguire they made chances for someone to put away and there was never no one there.

We need to get the ball in the box for May to score first and then we can comment proper..

Not really, currently, none of our strikers have proved they can do it at this level, doesn't mean to say they won't come good though. At the moment though, none should be starting in a decent championship side, and hopefully won't be when we bring in a striker

Fkin hell, when David Hirst first came here he hardly got a look in and when he did feature didn't socre that many, give the lad a chance he's only played in two games  in three days ffs.

Fkin hell, when David Hirst first came here he hardly got a look in and when he did feature didn't socre that many, give the lad a chance he's only played in two games  in three days ffs.

Hirsty was quality, but he was only 17 when he signed. He wasn't thrown straight in like May. As I said, had we done our recruiting, May could have been introduced gradually from the bench That's the way to do it

Feeding off scraps tonight.

Finally, someone who went to the same match as me

I seriously don't know what people are expecting

He made the goal with his run for our free kick, should have made the winner when been brought down for a penalty and troubled their back 4 all night with his tiresome work rate

He had the useless NimNim directing flicked on headers all over the show, or more often that not, no flick ons at all, had hopeless diagonal punts in the corner in his direction and then shocking service from the middle and out wide.

The times he did gamble, the balls never arrived, or where behind him.

Some fans absolute baffle me. Then they are applauding NimNim when he massively over hits a pass which runs to their keeper and wins a header that goes out for their throwing in an advanced position. Unbeleivable

May must be so frustrated , loads of times he was in a position to be put through and the pass never came. He works had to try and get the ball and make something for himself, that's probably the way he's used to playing. I think when it clicks for him, he'll be some player. Just needs time

Need to remember 800k is not a lot for a championship striker. For that money we're only signing potential.

McCormack went for £11 million this summer, Assombalonga £5 million (going up to 8 million).

He's 21 and on a four year deal. Get behind him and see how he's done after playing a full season

Thirty attempts on goal in two games, Gray wants us to average 15 a game so we are on plan. Our strikers have to do better in front of goal, no excuses

Do better in front of goal?

I can barely remember us getting to any of the three of them infront of goal tonight.

Hirsty was quality, but he was only 17 when he signed. He wasn't thrown straight in like May. As I said, had we done our recruiting, May could have been introduced gradually from the bench That's the way to do it

Yes but my point is it doesn't mean he's not up to this league not sure how you can judge someone after two games like, lets see him get some proper service for these chances first before we all write him off like?

He just needs to stand still every now and then.

Seriously.

There's working hard and then there's doing too much and being ineffective in your primary role.

I'd agree with that.

But tonight he did the right thing in chasing back passes down and charging around like a lunatic. If he'd stood around waiting for service he'd still be there.

Still, we're undefeated so all in all I'll take that.

Yes but my point is it doesn't mean he's not up to this league not sure how you can judge someone after two games like, lets see him get some proper service for these chances first before we all write him off like?

Some players are able to make the step up instantly, others need more time. Personally, I think none of our three show enough to justify a starting place at the moment. We need to bring in a striker who can do it in the championship, and introduce the others gradually

If Maghoma realised he's allowed to pass he could have played May into a couple of promising positions. As someone else mentioned, he's the sort of player who will be able to create something for himself if given the ball between the width of the area in the final third.

He had it there once and he beat his man only to be denied by a good covering tackle before he could get a shot off. Almost directed a couple of average crosses towards the goal with improvised finishes. Ran his socks off all night and arguably might have won a penalty after hounding the keeper for the 20th time.

He's 21 and only played 2 games. Let's give the lad a proper chance because the signs are promising.

Would help if we had a decent cm because Lee and the hutch seem to be on the treatment table more often than not. We all know Coke and Semedo is a recipe for struggle in this league.