STEVIE MAY

Guest Harry Coy

I think that he needs more time before we can judge him. He's clearly not yet got used to the physical and mental pace of the Championship and needs to learn how to work himself a position where he can get a chance to score in this league. He appears to have the physical attributes and the technique; it was his speed of thought that let him down tonight IMO. For example, he "turned" a defender tonight out on our left (in front of the North in the second half) but then immediately the ball got nicked off him by another defender when trying to advance towards goal. As the game went on, he seemed to get more used to the pace. He played better tonight than he did against Derby so he's improving. He's joined the team after preseason. He needs time.

I think that he needs more time before we can judge him. He's clearly not yet got used to the physical and mental pace of the Championship and needs to learn how to work himself a position where he can get a chance to score in this league. He appears to have the physical attributes and the technique; it was his speed of thought that let him down tonight IMO. For example, he "turned" a defender tonight out on our left (in front of the North in the second half) but then immediately the ball got nicked off him by another defender when trying to advance towards goal. As the game went on, he seemed to get more used to the pace. He played better tonight than he did against Derby so he's improving. He's joined the team after preseason. He needs time.

I remember the incident you are on about.

I thought two things at the time.

a) He looked heavy legged after so much running.

b) He thought he'd try and create something for himself as he'd had no service.

I remember the incident you are on about.

I thought two things at the time.

a) He looked heavy legged after so much running.

b) He thought he'd try and create something for himself as he'd had no service.

Yep, I'd agree with that. I think he needs to spend more time occupying the penalty area. He drifted out a lot tonight trying to work himself space to receive the ball - the Millwall defence were probably ecstatic to see him doing that.

I thought he did everything right in that bit of play in front of the north. Latched onto the ball, instantly looked to drive forward, nutmegged their defender, then had the ball pinched off him by a Millwall midfielder who did a fantastic job sprinting back to help his defence. If it wasn't for the work rate of that lad, Stevie's clean through and probably scoring his first goal.

I felt for him tonight. Both games he's played actually. Movement, work rate and first touch have all been sound but he's had to try and feed off scraps. Numerous times, tonight in particular, he's made the move off the back of Nuhiu anticipating the flick, but the big lad's flicked it either back where May ran from, or straight out of play.

Nothing more demoralising for a striker when your putting the work in and making the right runs, but the ball doesn't arrive.

I thought he did everything right in that bit of play in front of the north. Latched onto the ball, instantly looked to drive forward, nutmegged their defender, then had the ball pinched off him by a Millwall midfielder who did a fantastic job sprinting back to help his defence. If it wasn't for the work rate of that lad, Stevie's clean through and probably scoring his first goal.

I felt for him tonight. Both games he's played actually. Movement, work rate and first touch have all been sound but he's had to try and feed off scraps. Numerous times, tonight in particular, he's made the move off the back of Nuhiu anticipating the flick, but the big lad's flicked it either back where May ran from, or straight out of play.

Nothing more demoralising for a striker when your putting the work in and making the right runs, but the ball doesn't arrive.

Your right that their midfielder did well getting back to make the covering challenge but I believe that if May thinking is sharper then he doesn't give the midfielder the opportunity to nick the ball. It's small margins of improvement required - my guess is that if May was up to speed physically and mentally then he turns the defender and avoids the tackle from the midfielder.

Your right that their midfielder did well getting back to make the covering challenge but I believe that if May thinking is sharper then he doesn't give the midfielder the opportunity to nick the ball. It's small margins of improvement required - my guess is that if May was up to speed physically and mentally then he turns the defender and avoids the tackle from the midfielder.

I genuinely think he might have just been spent.

I don't think I have seen a forward work as hard that since.

Well....I don't know when.

I genuinely think he might have just been spent.

I don't think I have seen a forward work as hard that since.

Well....I don't know when.

He could well have been. I guess we're both thinking similarly; just slight variations on a 'common' opinion. Edited by shandypants

He could well have been. I guess we're both thinking similarly; just slight variations on a 'common' opinion.

Just hope he doesn't get too frustrated and start running himself into the ground all the time and then have leaden legs when/if a chance does eventually get played into him in a decent position.

May needs to get closer to nuhiu when he has the ball. They always seem to be miles apart, and then they try to rush it when they're thirty yards from their box. Neither of them are agile,but they don't have enough support from the midfield...Other than Maghomma.

I said this at half time to Richowl,

I thought Saturday he was a bit overawed. Much improved tonght , his workrate was unbelievable, maybe did too much.His movement was good but the service was poor, He has only really had half chances so far.

I honestly am struggling to think of when I last saw a forward work so hard for so little reward.

Jay Bothroyd ? ;)

But seriously, I loved the work rate but he must be knackered when he actually gets the ball. That's what annoyed me about Madine at Derby really, he let Stevie do all the running despite himself having the fresh legs.

Just hope he doesn't get too frustrated and start running himself into the ground all the time and then have leaden legs when/if a chance does eventually get played into him in a decent position.

I agree, hence my earlier comment about spending more time centrally. Even if the standard in the Championship wasn't higher than the SPL, May would still have to get to grips with the style of play in that's employed in this league. I think May needs to be a bit selfish and think about his play (ala Gary Lineker or Jermaine Dafoe) rather than putting a shift in for the team. He's been bought as a goalscorer, therefore, he needs to get onto the habit of scoring goals before he thinks about anything else IMHO.

Edited by shandypants

I agree, hence my earlier comment about spending more time centrally. Even if the standard in the Championship wasn't higher than the SPL, May would still have to get to grips with the style of play in that's employed in this league. I think May needs to be a bit selfish and think about his play (ala Gary Lineker or Jermaine Dafoe) rather than putting a shift in for the team. He's been bought as a goalscorer, therefore, he needs to get onto the habit of scoring goals before he thinks about anything else IMHO.

True.

He's clearly been brought in because he knows where the net is.

Might take him a while though to get used to playing the 18 yard with, I'm sure one of the Porridge monsters who posted on here said he did a hell of a lot of wide work for St. Johnston and MacLean was the central man.

Owlstalk full of numpties and most of them don't even go to games

Apparently you're not allowed to point that out.

I didn't go last night so can't comment, however, the reaction by some on here is what I expected.

I'll take on board what snooty and a few others are saying and ignore the other numpties.

It would have been totally different if we'd have hung on, we would have been heading for the premier league.