“It’s All About Winning” – Gary Megson, A Life In Football

Guest AbbeyOwl

Bet it is a right riveting read, all that time in Greno Woods, spent more time up there than Jean and George the local doggers lol

Has anyone read the book though? lol

Have read the book Dunsby and I was very disappointed. I expected a proper autobiography with stories and experiences in it. The fact of the matter is its just full of stats and nothing else. Probably one of the worst football books I have ever read. The best being Alex Fergusons original from the 1990's (not last years poor part 2 effort) and Tony Addams who also tells it like it is. 

Agree that Meggie was a pasionate player and manager and I am grateful for what he did for us.

However, it is my recollection that he was instrumental in getting Peter Eustace sacked. Euastace wasn't a good manager but it is not for the players to behave like that, and that is why I can't have any sympathy for MM sacking him.

while he may have fell out with Eustace I think the fact that he won 1 game in 15 may have been the deciding factor in his sacking.he got shot of megson 5 weeks before he was sacked and things certainly didn't improve after megson left.

Thats actually rubbish, if you had been at the Chesterfield away game where we lost 1-0, when the idiot Bostich or whatever his names was gave away a stupid penalty as he couldn't be bothered to run you would know that we were not going to be promoted that year. Dave Jones for all his failings after which were many was responsible for the push on where we caught United and overtook them. Admittedly afterwards he was a complete disaster but I think people try to recreate history, Megson changed around our fortunes but was failing at the final hurdle.

We dont usually agree, but I agree with you on this!

Megson did a fantastic job up to a point and I was gutted when he left, didnt really want Jones. But we instantly played differently, we were less pumped up but we seemed more relaxed. Perhaps Jones' stand offish manner was exactly the right thing for that moment as we were stalling and feeling the pressure, he knew how to take the pressure off. He was like the messiah getting us up over United and as much as he is now disliked that was a fantastic achievement that will go down in history.

Had Megson stayed, who knows what wouldve happened, but my gut feel is we wouldve needed the playoffs. Instead, were now in the Championship and United are staring at a 4th year down there. Jones was right to be sacked, but from Megson, to Jones to Gray each one has picked up the baton from the other quite nicely and moved us forward so far.

Try to look at it all from a positive side lads. If GM had stayed in charge but we'd gone up via the play offs who would that have promoted in automatic instead?

Love GM, can't stand DJ but in the end it all worked out rather well.

and why shouldnt the manager want everything his own way? i think megson mite know a bit more about football than mm and pa...

love him to come back id br rushin down to get a st if it did happen

if I'd put 20 million of my own money in I think I'd want a say in matters .....the manager runs the team not the club .