“It’s All About Winning” – Gary Megson, A Life In Football

Guest AbbeyOwl

lets remember Megson wanted to have Marshall on the left and Antonio on the right, which would have probably seen us get promoted via the playoffs.

Proper legend IMO.

Yes getting promoted via the play offs far better than automatic promotion  :rolleyes:

I think Megson was brilliant for us, he got us a load of "pashun" back and he gets the fans and the club. He did well in his time with us. I will always look at his time here with great fondness. But why can't there just be a thread about Megson without having the usual Megson V Jones nonsense?  

Instead people make stuff up in an attempt to discredit Dave Jones' success that season. 

I thank Megson for building the squad, and i thank Jones for getting us over the line in a spectacular way...which made that day in May brilliant. Both did well, and then both did a bit sh*t-  which is why they're no longer at the club. 

Guest AbbeyOwl

didnt say it was far better, but the end result would be the exact same. 

Play offs are a complete lottery, to be honest I cant stand them, money making exercise, if you finish third you should be promoted, often teams finishing 6th having accumulated far less points are promoted, how can that be fair. Sorry totally off subject.

Meggo = Hero who took this club and picked it up off its arrse and got every single piece of it moving in the same direction. No it wasn't always pretty but we all knew where we were and that we were in it together.

Jones = Arrogant tossser who ripped everything up and who would be planning for L1 now if he were still here. At least he would've had the opportunity to have a go at L1 with his own team though. Not that it'd be any better though as he played even more horrible hoofball than Meggo.

F off Jones you useless cnnut...!

Meggo = Hero who took this club and picked it up off its arrse and got every single piece of it moving in the same direction. No it wasn't always pretty but we all knew where we were and that we were in it together.

Jones = Arrogant tossser who ripped everything up and who would be planning for L1 now if he were still here. At least he would've had the opportunity to have a go at L1 with his own team though. Not that it'd be any better though as he played even more horrible hoofball than Meggo.

F off Jones you useless cnnut...!

Agree with that.  

Play offs are a complete lottery, to be honest I cant stand them, money making exercise, if you finish third you should be promoted, often teams finishing 6th having accumulated far less points are promoted, how can that be fair. Sorry totally off subject.

It would have been ok for us as we probably would have only just scraped 6th place through the skin of our teeth.... 

Thats actually rubbish, if you had been at the Chesterfield away game where we lost 1-0, when the idiot Bostich or whatever his names was gave away a stupid penalty as he couldn't be bothered to run you would know that we were not going to be promoted that year. Dave Jones for all his failings after which were many was responsible for the push on where we caught United and overtook them. Admittedly afterwards he was a complete disaster but I think people try to recreate history, Megson changed around our fortunes but was failing at the final hurdle.

while we´ll never know if megson would have got us promoted its not cast in stone that he wouldn't .....when jones was losing 14 games out of 18 everyone thought we were certs for relegation and he managed to turn it around maybe megson would as well .

The hoofball is usually forgotten by the people who still stick up for Jones.

His football in the Championship was horrific.

Not read the book, and didn't even know it existed - I'll be sourcing a copy, thanks.

As for Megson and Jones as managers of Sheffield Wednesday - neither are good enough for where we are now. I thank them both for their contribution in getting us off the floor and out of the sh*thole of League One.

Cheapest I've seen and I have ordered from Waterstones online £9.99 P&P Free at the moment ;-)

Agree that Meggie was a pasionate player and manager and I am grateful for what he did for us.

However, it is my recollection that he was instrumental in getting Peter Eustace sacked. Euastace wasn't a good manager but it is not for the players to behave like that, and that is why I can't have any sympathy for MM sacking him.