Wearing red at Hillsborough...

I remember walking past the new barrack tavern once wearing a top that was a bit close to west ham colours and seeing a globule of spit fly past my head.

Not a good idea to wear the colours of the team you are playing.

Wearing red at Hillsborough is definitely wrong.

Guest PrincessWendy

What would some of you say if I told you that I was at a proper game, at Hillsborough, in the top flight, where one of our players wore a red jersey with the Owls badge on it ?

I'd say he was the goalkeeper, back in the days when only green, blue, white or red could be worn by a goalkeeper in English football.

Bless you

HRH Wendy

Guest PrincessWendy

Maybe against a team who's change strip included a lot of green? Can only think of Plymouth Argyle with a first strip that has a lot of green in it, and they've never been in the first tier as far as I know.

Do I get the cigar?

Bless you

HRH Wendy

I'd say he was the goalkeeper, back in the days when only green, blue, white or red could be worn by a goalkeeper in English football.

Bless you

HRH Wendy

Maybe against a team who's change strip included a lot of green? Can only think of Plymouth Argyle with a first strip that has a lot of green in it, and they've never been in the first tier as far as I know.

Do I get the cigar?

Bless you

HRH Wendy

Yep.

Martin Hodge in about 1985 wore a full, bright red top with the Wednesday badge on it because Leicester City's away kit was all green. As a punishment for this horrendous cheek we beat them (Gary Linker and all) 5-0 with Imre Varadi getting the match ball and John Ryan scoring what I think was his only Owls goal.

I wasn't allowed red as a kid by my dad but had clothes/footwear with red bits in them.

Bought a faded red hoodie (almost pink) and wore it in the run in and at Cardiff because it was lucky.

As a grown man though I'd rather wear a nice red jacket than a football shirt.

Each to their own I suppose.

For the 1993 League Cup Final v Arsenal, I set off from my Lincolnshire home on a cold early morning.  I had a red shirt on from the night before, but with bleary eyes put on a Wednesday shirt and Wednesday jumper, over the top.  Then-  still half asleep  - drove off to Hillsbrough to board a Wembley-bound coach.

It was very hot on the bus so I stripped down to the red shirt.  Still warm when we got to London so left the blue and white tops on the bus.  Realized my error a few minutes later but the driver had already locked the coach and gone off.

Upshot is I was the only Wednesday fan in our half of the ground in a bright red shirt. (And I mean bright red).

Embarrassing.

For the 1993 League Cup Final v Arsenal, I set off from my Lincolnshire home on a cold early morning.  I had a red shirt on from the night before, but with bleary eyes put on a Wednesday shirt and Wednesday jumper, over the top.  Then-  still half asleep  - drove off to Hillsbrough to board a Wembley-bound coach.

It was very hot on the bus so I stripped down to the red shirt.  Still warm when we got to London so left the blue and white tops on the bus.  Realized my error a few minutes later but the driver had already locked the coach and gone off.

Upshot is I was the only Wednesday fan in our half of the ground in a bright red shirt. (And I mean bright red).

Embarrassing.

You're not the first, in the league cup final in 91 my mate put on his favourite Benetton jumper which was bright red. We had been out all night in London the night before so we were a little worse for wear and neither of us thought anything about it until hitting Wembley way. He went a bought the biggest Rosette you have ever seen to cover it up. You can see him in the final video with it on.

It's wronger than wrong. 

I don't own anything red, except for wine and that could be classified as burgandy. 

I would even struggle to have a Ferrari in red, I would have to have a yellow one.

Unless someone donated one for free then I would, but i'd ask if it could be yellow first.

Edited by 1867tons