Optimistic for January ?, not alot after reading this.

Guest intercity0wl

I think what the OP is trying to say is, IF we are going to sign players (on loan or othwise) the deals should already be in the bag ready for Jan 1st, not seeing whats about in Jan.

Not wanting to put words in his mouth but intercity seems to think we've missed the boat once again, and I have to agree after all Milan's fine words and promises a few weeks ago.

early days yet - just becuase someone has done a deal with a player we're after doesn't mean we are running late behind 92 other league teams

hopefully we've got some stokes in the fire for some good players

But its not early days is it? we're in a f ucking dog fight and player recruitment is were we have to be at the top of our game not weeing about towards the end of Jan grabing players everone else has has dimissed.

Dear Star,

Here is a list of the players we are looking at in the January transfer window. Please keep this quite as we don't want to alert other clubs.

Yours faithfully,

Sheffield Wednesday.

Do you really expect them to come out with the above? The report in the Star is just smoke and mirrors. I think some of you have been sniffing too many mince pies!

You could have at least posted the list FFS lol

OWLS chairman Milan Mandaric and manager Dave Jones are making plans for the January transfer window.

Jones knows how many players he wants to bring in to strengthen the side - though he will not reveal the number - and is being encouraged by Mandaric.

The manager has also drawn up a list of targets and made one inquiry yesterday only to find that the player had already done a deal with another club for January.

Jones and Mandaric have also discussed Mamady Sidibe and Jeremy Helan, whose loans run out after tomorrow’s game against Charlton. A decision has yet to be revealed, as in the case of Jay Bothroyd, whose loan expires on January 2.

“I’m in meetings with the chairman until he goes away; we’re full pelt on that,” said Jones. “We’re talking about players we can get to help the squad. There are lots of things going on and they will be discussed over the next few days.

“The chairman wants me to be active (in the transfer window), which is good. But it’s finding the right players that are prepared to join this group of people and have that same commitment and desire and hopefully help us to achieve what we want.

“Basically we’ve started to make inroads into what we’re looking for and putting out feelers. But nobody is going to give you an answer now because, with so many games over Christmas, there could be injuries or whatever.”

Jones wants “more than one” player. It is not yet known whether signings would be loans or full deals: “You see what’s about,” he said.

I read that article as a positive?

We have highlighted players, the chairman is giving his financial support to the recruitment in January, and we're in the process of setting up the deals.

Guest Deleted member

Ive just remembered why I hardly come on here anymore

people are so desperate to criticise they even make stories out of nothing

Ive just remembered why I hardly come on here anymore

people are so desperate to criticise they even make stories out of nothing

You are not wrong Neil :dry: maybe we could sign some new more optimistic owlstalkers for the new season, and ship some of the moaners out!

Edited by Spookone

Sounds to me like they are planning for a return to league 1.

Don't expect DJ/MM telling us lot everything they are planning, BUT i do expect to hear a bit of fight. Fed up of the emotionless speel that comes out of Djs gob. You read quotes in the papers and when playing it in my head, its in that dull boring tone that sinks me to my knees.

Sounds to me like they are planning for a return to league 1.

Don't expect DJ/MM telling us lot everything they are planning, BUT i do expect to hear a bit of fight. Fed up of the emotionless speel that comes out of Djs gob. You read quotes in the papers and when playing it in my head, its in that dull boring tone that sinks me to my knees.

Wow

I'm not expecting too much either but at the same time I don't want to see a shedload of new players come in January. We tried this policy in the Summer and look where it's left us. We shouldn't be looking to bring in more than 2 or 3 and if we can shift some fringe players then all well and good. I wouldn't be adversed to see some of the younger players like Corry going out on loan, it's not doing Liam Palmer much harm being at Tranmere.

Stuart Gray's arrival this week is the clearest indication yet that Dave Jones is likely to see at least this season out and I've been saying for a while that at some stage we have to give a Manager time to build something and to be honest Jones deserves the same sort of backing that Sturrock got in 2005/06 after gaining promotion from League 1. Sturrock saw us comfortably over the survival line that season and I don't see any reason why Jones can't do the same this.

Jones and Mandaric have also discussed Mamady Sidibe and Jeremy Helan, whose loans run out after tomorrow’s game against Charlton. A decision has yet to be revealed, as in the case of Jay Bothroyd, whose loan expires on January 2.

If the level of our ambition is signing Sidibe on a permanent deal, it's time to get the maps out and check where Crawley is.

If the level of our ambition is signing Sidibe on a permanent deal, it's time to get the maps out and check where Crawley is.

Permanent deal was never in question, the lad wanted to get match sharp with a months worth of 1st team games, we were desperate for another option up front.

It was never going to work and the chances are he'll go back to Stoke Monday.

Edited by BRUCE LEE

Well I trust them to get the signings right, the consequences of them not doing doesn't bare thinking about. Not sure about the benefits of releasing mis-information though as its generally gonna be taken at face value by fans.

Man Utd and Man City seem to do fine keeping their business private until they need to. I'd rather we did our business properly so we don't alert other clubs than worry about fans thinking nothing's happening just because we're not shouting out our targets from the rooftops.

OWLS chairman Milan Mandaric and manager Dave Jones are making plans for the January transfer window.

Jones knows how many players he wants to bring in to strengthen the side - though he will not reveal the number - and is being encouraged by Mandaric.

The manager has also drawn up a list of targets and made one inquiry yesterday only to find that the player had already done a deal with another club for January.

“I’m in meetings with the chairman until he goes away; we’re full pelt on that,” said Jones. “We’re talking about players we can get to help the squad. There are lots of things going on and they will be discussed over the next few days.

“The chairman wants me to be active (in the transfer window), which is good. But it’s finding the right players that are prepared to join this group of people and have that same commitment and desire and hopefully help us to achieve what we want.

“Basically we’ve started to make inroads into what we’re looking for and putting out feelers. But nobody is going to give you an answer now because, with so many games over Christmas, there could be injuries or whatever.”

Jones wants “more than one” player. It is not yet known whether signings would be loans or full deals: “You see what’s about,” he said.

We have highlighted players, the chairman is giving his financial support to the recruitment in January, and we're in the process of setting up the deals.

Exactly. Of course we want players in on the 1st January if at all possible, but that's not always possible and we need to make sure we get the right players in rather than signing someone because they're available on the 1st. People have moaned about the lack of quality we signed in the Summer and think we didn't get our targets but now they'd be happy as long as they're available on the 1st.

I don't think that is anywhere close to the radar. And Sidibe was way down the list of targets. Connor Wickham was the main target.

Plenty of talk, let us hope for some action.

Like the way DJ says we've looked at a player who has already agreed something with another club for January, then goes on to say no-one is going to give us an answer now because of the games over Xmas!! Well, someone is giving out answers Dave cos we've already missed out on a target! lol

I think what the OP is trying to say is, IF we are going to sign players (on loan or othwise) the deals should already be in the bag ready for Jan 1st, not seeing whats about in Jan.

Not wanting to put words in his mouth but intercity seems to think we've missed the boat once again, and I have to agree after all Milan's fine words and promises a few weeks ago.

Its not that cut and dried though. Players will become available throughout the transfer window as their clubs buy players and they become surplus to requirements.

We could have all our business done and dusted by the 1st, and then better players become avaiable latet in the window.