In this thread I will debunk the 'look like he's trying/gives a fook' theory

There's always someone yelling about a player not looking like he's interested/trying

Or someone saying that a certain player doesn't care/give a flip

So...

In order to debunk this theory totally and prove conclusively once and for all that it's a reight load o poo pooe I will ask one simple single question

The answers to this single question will demonstrate how much of a load of crap it is for people to say 'he doesn't look interested' or 'he doesn't give a flip' type stuff.

QUESTION - HOW SHOULD A PLAYER PHYSICALLY DEMONSTRATE THAT THEY ARE 'INTERESTED', or THAT THEY 'GIVE A flip' ?

move about is always a start

As for celebrations

a knee slide into the Kop end kissing the badge should ONLY be done when scoring a hatrick right now though I'll accept a badge kiss if we get a flippingcorner

I think it's fair enough to question these kind of comments, since none of the things associated with 'looking like they're trying' necessarily help a player to win games.

However, there is another side to things, which is the psychology of the players/fans. Both positivity and negativity can be like viruses, spreading from one player to the another, from one bit of play to the next, and amongst the fans. If a striker chases down balls - it may come to nothing and be a waste of energy. Or - it could motivate some of the players behind him to put more work in getting around the pitch themselves, which then results in winning a loose ball, which then results in a chance/goal.

I don't think it's necessarily either a good or a bad thing - it just depends on the players/circumstances, and the outcome. I always thought Morrison looked a bit daft closing the keeper down all the time and players on both sides never seemed to take much notice. Someone playing with calm and composure on the ball can also have a motivating effect - which is I'm sure what Bothroyd was signed for - he just hasn't really produced anything. If he was producing, these questions about effort/body language wouldn't be raised. But he's not, so they are.

I think fans will always be happier losing with a team that seems interested than losing with a team that seems calm, because it almost seems like the players 'don't care'. As a manager you could look at this differently - either just think, well ignore the fans lets play our game; or think, well if we look to try more, get the fans onside, create a more positive atmosphere, the team will feed off that and then do better.

Usually I'd expect Jones to favour calm, but who knows what his state of mind is at the moment.

Yesterday, Pecnik and Barkley did not work anything like hard enough in their defensive responsibilities, leaving Semedo to do the work of all three of them. Countless times I saw them static as an opponent drifted past them into a position to receive the ball, or fail to put in a committed challenge on those occasions where they were close enough to do so. Maybe you don't agree (although as you are acting as the club's propagandist in chief I'm not inclined to believe you anyway) but wasn't it embarrassing how easily Wolves were able to keep the ball in our midfield yesterday? Maybe at 0-0 this is fair enough, but not for the hour or so we were behind.

It's not good enough at any scoreline...

when revies l**ds were young men having just been put together, they were away at west ham and losing 6-0...

bremner as captain was at the ref complaining that west ham were time wasting...

he saw a way back, a need to fight on, to fight with PRIDE FOR THE SHIRT HE PROUDLY WORE, I WANT THAT FROM OUR PLAYERS...

i don't expect us to have the best players in the country, i don't expect us to have the best players in the division...

BUT I DO EXPECT US TO BE ABLE TO MATCH THOSE BETTER SKILLED PLAYERS FOR DESIRE AND PASSION...

i heard trever brooking asked who was his most difficult opponent, he studied for a while and then said "John Harkes, Sheffield Wednesday, he's got 3 lungs"...

i thought yeah you are the most skilful player, but over 90mins. he will punish you with his fitness...

Anyone who asks this question and doesn't know the answer clearly doesn't watch much football.....if I didn't know better I'd think the OP spent most of the games he attended facing the crowd not the pitch and even think that they saw any action, even life itself, through a lens which gives them a very narrow, 2d view of things

Easy.

Close down.

Make the opponent play the ball - cut the percentages of a successful pass and put pressure on the player receiving the ball.

This may take effort and energy but shit happens.

this, for all the style and flair barcelona have, you watch them close down straight away to get the ball back and this can be found in most succesful teams.

Look at england, they dont close down quick enough or hard enough. From the goalsive seen wednesday concede id say thats one of our prombles at the minute too

So

Lets keep em coming

QUESTION - HOW SHOULD A PLAYER PHYSICALLY DEMONSTRATE THAT THEY ARE 'INTERESTED', or THAT THEY 'GIVE A flip' ?

if you don't know that neil, and i think you do and are just playin' 'devil's advocate'...

then you need to spend less time looking at the crowd, and more at the field of play...

we need backbone, NOT YOU'RE SO CALLED SEXY FOOTBALL...