In this thread I will debunk the 'look like he's trying/gives a fook' theory

what you say about waddle is correct, but, you can't have too many of those type of go one way players in modern day football...

waddle did not do too much defending during his career, and some players are a liability in and around their own box...

but if you have 2 or more defensive passengers on your team the something is likely to suffer...

we seem to have a disjointed, disheartened side at present...

IT NEEDS TO GET IT'S SLEEVES ROLLED UP AND INTO THE MIX...

ANYONE NOT FITTING THE BILL NEEDS TO BE ON THE BENCH AT BEST...

I understand what you are trying to say mate.

But Waddle didn't only go one way.

He did more for the defence, than anybody i ever saw.

He always looked for the ball, always wanted it.

Whether it be on the right wing, left wing, centre forward, midfield left or right or mid, defence left or right or mid.

What he did without the ball, helped out with defending, better than those who are supposed to defend.

Instead of hoofing it forward and it coming straight back, he took the pressure off, kept the ball, gave everybody time to reorganise.

Or if he didn't receive the ball, he created space for someone else.

What we have now, is players not wanting to move for the ball, it has got to come to them where they stand, they don't go looking for the ball.

Which to me, says they are not very comfortable with their own ability.

I agree with "we seem to have a disjointed, disheartened side at present..."

I understand what you are trying to say mate.

But Waddle didn't only go one way.

He did more for the defence, than anybody i ever saw.

He always looked for the ball, always wanted it.

Whether it be on the right wing, left wing, centre forward, midfield left or right or mid, defence left or right or mid.

What he did without the ball, helped out with defending, better than those who are supposed to defend.

Instead of hoofing it forward and it coming straight back, he took the pressure off, kept the ball, gave everybody time to reorganise.

Or if he didn't receive the ball, he created space for someone else.

What we have now, is players not wanting to move for the ball, it has got to come to them where they stand, they don't go looking for the ball.

Which to me, says they are not very comfortable with their own ability.

I agree with "we seem to have a disjointed, disheartened side at present..."

He played Cork onside for their goal in the semi-final.

Enough said.

But he never looked "interested" as such.

All about what you do not how you look while doing it.

He played Cork onside for their goal in the semi-final.

Enough said.

But he never looked "interested" as such.

All about what you do not how you look while doing it.

Jeez

He did something wrong in one match, so that means he didn't help the defence in all the others.

QUESTION - HOW SHOULD A PLAYER PHYSICALLY DEMONSTRATE THAT THEY ARE 'INTERESTED', or THAT THEY 'GIVE A flip' ?

Easy: they should physically look interested.

Alternatively, they should not physically look disinterested.

Edited by oz_owl

Im only interested in answers to the question i posed

It's just ridiculous some of the things you come out with. If someone part answers your question or poses other relevant points then you just dismiss them as they don't follow your own rhetoric.

People have answered you question in this thread but you just choose to belittle the points that are made.

In the first 3 league games plus the 2nd half at Oldham and the Fulham game the team played with intensity and desire. They then put in 1 under par performance against Palace and since then loan players have walked into the side and the effect is obvious.

The close knit spirit and harmony of the team has clearly been affected and if you cannot see that the intensity and all out effort of the team has been lost since those early games then you need to take a closer look at things rather than trying to paint a positive picture of the last 6 games.

Dave Jones described us as relentless in those early games. The performance of certain players in recent games has been anything but relentless, surely you can't disagree with that?

Yesterday, Pecnik and Barkley did not work anything like hard enough in their defensive responsibilities, leaving Semedo to do the work of all three of them. Countless times I saw them static as an opponent drifted past them into a position to receive the ball, or fail to put in a committed challenge on those occasions where they were close enough to do so. Maybe you don't agree (although as you are acting as the club's propagandist in chief I'm not inclined to believe you anyway) but wasn't it embarrassing how easily Wolves were able to keep the ball in our midfield yesterday? Maybe at 0-0 this is fair enough, but not for the hour or so we were behind.

Spot on for me, I felt sorry for Semedo yesterday, he was running around like a man possessed.

Have to say Barkley in particular disappointed me the most, he either doesn't want to be here or he's scared he might get injured, he just never put a foot in all game.....for one with such a great reputation he showed none of it.

Edited by Weshallovercome

I think it's fair enough to question these kind of comments, since none of the things associated with 'looking like they're trying' necessarily help a player to win games.

However, there is another side to things, which is the psychology of the players/fans. Both positivity and negativity can be like viruses, spreading from one player to the another, from one bit of play to the next, and amongst the fans. If a striker chases down balls - it may come to nothing and be a waste of energy. Or - it could motivate some of the players behind him to put more work in getting around the pitch themselves, which then results in winning a loose ball, which then results in a chance/goal.

I don't think it's necessarily either a good or a bad thing - it just depends on the players/circumstances, and the outcome. I always thought Morrison looked a bit daft closing the keeper down all the time and players on both sides never seemed to take much notice. Someone playing with calm and composure on the ball can also have a motivating effect - which is I'm sure what Bothroyd was signed for - he just hasn't really produced anything. If he was producing, these questions about effort/body language wouldn't be raised. But he's not, so they are.

I think fans will always be happier losing with a team that seems interested than losing with a team that seems calm, because it almost seems like the players 'don't care'. As a manager you could look at this differently - either just think, well ignore the fans lets play our game; or think, well if we look to try more, get the fans onside, create a more positive atmosphere, the team will feed off that and then do better.

Usually I'd expect Jones to favour calm, but who knows what his state of mind is at the moment.

Bingo Yesterday in the bits I saw a couple of times we seemed to be trying to walk it in the net rather than take a chance That comes from confidence or lack of it. Maybe our corners an set pieces are poo at the moment because the person taking it is thinking got to be right got to be right all the time whilst taking it rather than right lets float this in jobs a gud un

Why is everyone struggling wi this?

QUESTION - HOW SHOULD A PLAYER PHYSICALLY DEMONSTRATE THAT THEY ARE 'INTERESTED', or THAT THEY 'GIVE A flip' ?

What's the answer then?

What are you getting at?

Why is everyone struggling wi this?

Oh ffs.

It's an utterly pointless question. Like asking "how do you tell someone is happy?". A happy person might smile a lot. Does that mean all happy people smile? Or all smiling people are happy?

There is no answer to the question because everyone is different. Exhibiting that you care about something and the perception of that by other people will vary from person to person.

So why ask in the first place? Other than to wee wee people off of course. ;-)