In this thread I will debunk the 'look like he's trying/gives a fook' theory

There's always someone yelling about a player not looking like he's interested/trying

Or someone saying that a certain player doesn't care/give a flip

So...

In order to debunk this theory totally and prove conclusively once and for all that it's a reight load o poo I will ask one simple single question

The answers to this single question will demonstrate how much of a load of crap it is for people to say 'he doesn't look interested' or 'he doesn't give a flip' type stuff.

QUESTION - HOW SHOULD A PLAYER PHYSICALLY DEMONSTRATE THAT THEY ARE 'INTERESTED', or THAT THEY 'GIVE A flip' ?

Owlstalk Shop

First one would be the desire to chase the ball - prime example was with Bothroyd against Bolton, ball played over the top in the corner, Bothroyd didn't even bother to go after it, ball stayed in play Bothroyd just shrugged his shoulders. This showed a lack of interest. Just an example.

They should be commanding in their respective position. Not give up on any ball until it has either gone dead,cleared or you have seen off the threat/become the threat. The willingness to achieve the said aim tells you whether they give a flip or are interested in putting in the effort.

Edited by lanzaroteowl

Yesterday, Pecnik and Barkley did not work anything like hard enough in their defensive responsibilities, leaving Semedo to do the work of all three of them. Countless times I saw them static as an opponent drifted past them into a position to receive the ball, or fail to put in a committed challenge on those occasions where they were close enough to do so. Maybe you don't agree (although as you are acting as the club's propagandist in chief I'm not inclined to believe you anyway) but wasn't it embarrassing how easily Wolves were able to keep the ball in our midfield yesterday? Maybe at 0-0 this is fair enough, but not for the hour or so we were behind.

Talk to each other, show some urgency when chasing a game, someone may even try to take the game on by themselves.....

I see what your trying to say Neil but if you don't think its the players, and obviously don't think its the manager, what is it? That is the question.

I am not advocating a change of manager so early in the season, but when it gets to November/December will we all be saying things should have changed sooner rather than later?

QUESTION - HOW SHOULD A PLAYER PHYSICALLY DEMONSTRATE THAT THEY ARE 'INTERESTED', or THAT THEY 'GIVE A flip' ?

I will repeat as clearly it has been overlooked:

First one would be the desire to chase the ball - prime example was with Bothroyd against Bolton, ball played over the top in the corner, Bothroyd didn't even bother to go after it, ball stayed in play Bothroyd just shrugged his shoulders. This showed a lack of interest. Just an example.

The very best players in the world are also the hardest working.

Remember that season when Ronaldo scored shedloads for Manchester United? He was the hardest working player on the pitch every match - coincidence?

Talent does not replace work ethic. If it comes down to a choice between picking a player who strolls around like he owns the place, or a player who will work his rounduns off - I would pick the worker every day of the week.

So far we have

Run around a lot

Kick players

Chase lost balls

Neil, your losing any credibility you had. The obvious thing in all of this is "try harder", how many times have defeated teams come off to applause when you can "physically" tell that they have given 100%. At the minute some players don't look like they give 100% or even have 100% to give.

Neil, your losing any credibility you had. The obvious thing in all of this is "try harder", how many times have defeated teams come off to applause when you can "physically" tell that they have given 100%. At the minute some players don't look like they give 100% or even have 100% to give.

Answer my question then...

So far we have got:

Run around a lot

Kick players

Chase lost balls

Shout for the ball a lot

Owlstalk Shop

Guest totemowl

Every few minutes, say when the ball goes out for a goal kick to the opposition, they should clap the fans.

A clear unmistakable demonstration that they care.